Windows 7 forum

General discussion

"The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."

by jedirock / May 16, 2009 4:59 AM PDT

I can't seem to open any folder using Explorer in Windows 7 RC b7100, as it fails with the above error. This happened after Explorer stopped picking up metadata on files, and so I killed and restarted explorer using Task Manager. Files and folders on my Desktop still show up, and files still open in their respective applications, but folders won't show, as with the error. Happens with any local folder.

I can't find anything on Google. I haven't touched any Explorer settings, and I'm not interested in an Explorer alternative. I can restart, but this has happened once before, so I'm thinking it'll happen again after a restart. Anyone have any more permanent ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
win7 "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."
by GabdaG / August 27, 2009 6:40 PM PDT

I had the same issue with w7 7260, i simply used windows help to search for RPC and followed the instructions on enabling it. Worked like a charm.

Collapse -
"The remote procedure call failed and did not execute"
by anandborns / June 12, 2011 5:07 AM PDT

Even i am getting the same problem with the final release of the windows seven. I think only restart is the last resort no problem but still showing the same problem and not able open explorer/

Collapse -
Doubtful there is any cure for RC versions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2011 6:51 AM PDT

And probably why 2 years later you don't see anyone note it was fixed.

Maybe it's time to get the real thing?

Collapse -
no need to reboot.
by ThinAppGuy / June 12, 2011 8:15 AM PDT

Instead of rebooting you can go to Start menu and choose run then type in services.msc

When services comes up look for remote procedure call service and restart it.

But I'd also recommend scanning for virus and spyware because those tend to screw up RPC services.

Collapse -
by Newrone / April 21, 2012 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: no need to reboot.

I got to services.msc & located RPC, with status "Started", but how do I restart it? Right-click shows functions all greyed out, including Restart. Even in Task Manager under Services, I can find RpdSs (RPC), running, but "Stop service" gives me "Access is denied"!

(Win7, SP1)

Collapse -
by bitojoy / June 15, 2012 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: services.msc

If you enable or disable a service and you encounter a problem starting the computer, you can start the computer in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, core services that are required to start the operating system are started in a default scheme, regardless of any changes that are made to the service settings. After the computer is in Safe Mode, you can change the service configuration or restore the default configuration.

If you specify an account that does not have permission to log on as a service, the Services snap-in automatically grants the appropriate permissions to that account on the computer that you are managing.

Collapse -
Forced to reboot
by PRDIGM / July 19, 2014 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: no need to reboot.

When I entered service.msc which I am familiar with the same message popped up. So I have to reboot.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.