Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Android

Question

the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped

by Ric95 / November 8, 2012 2:01 AM PST

Since I upgraded to android 4.0.4 I have been getting the following message :"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped" and cannot synch my contacts.

I have seen some solutions as to clear the internet cache, but that has not worked. i am reluctant to delete my gmail account as I fear all will get deleted. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What is this delete my gmail account?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:10 AM PST

I never delete that since it's accessible on a web page. So maybe you meant you were fearful of removing it from the phone.

So no, deleting items on a phone does not delete your account. Two different cats.
Bob

Collapse -
What is this delete my gmail account?
by Ric95 / November 8, 2012 6:24 AM PST

I meant delete my gmail account from the phone and adding it back

Collapse -
I've done that many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 6:31 AM PST

At the office we have a sort of Russian roulette as we swap tablets around for testing. My email is on imap and since I don't delete the copy on the server, I can do that in no time at all.

Did you try to look at your email with a browser so you can see what's still on the server?
Bob

Collapse -
I've done that many times
by Ric95 / November 8, 2012 12:12 PM PST

I also have that option, that the email in the server is not deleted as I also check my email through a browser. The problem is that all the contacts that I have added to the phone will be deleted.

Collapse -
And?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 12:47 PM PST

In the People App I tap Menu and there's the Import/Export feature.

Sorry but it appears we are working too hard to figure out what is the issue. I know, I know. It's too technical. Maybe we are better off without a backup.
Bob

Collapse -
solution from google?
by Ric95 / November 8, 2012 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: And?

Is there a solution from Google?
Before the upgrade to ICS, it was working perfectly fine, and after the upgrade is when the problem began.

Collapse -
Sorry but I thought we were working on backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: solution from google?

But let me be blunt here. I see a lot of folk upgrade Android and things don't work. If they can't clear it out for a test, then you wait till they figure out the backup and restore.

And even then I see bugs. This is why I call it the new Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
com.Google.process.gapps has stopped
by Faith_F / November 29, 2012 4:00 PM PST

All you need to do is go into to your Google sync and disable sync internet. It worked for me on my Galaxy s3.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 1:04 AM PST

I now have a dozen android devices and it's interesting to see how controls like this are moving about. I worry that folk may not be able to find this on all versions.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Solution for Samsung Galaxy S2
by lisamirt / January 12, 2013 8:27 AM PST

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and the solutions given on forums did not work for me. I checked the Download Manager, it was already Enabled. I cleared Data in all Google applications but I still got the error message.
Samsung Customer Care advised to do a Factory Reset. I was reluctant as I could see everyone else in the forums had no success. So I went ahead anyway. I noticed that the error message only appeared once I Restored all my backup data from Kies. So I did the Factory Reset again but this time I Restored my backup data from Kies section by section, using the phone for 5 minutes after each Restore, to see which section contained the corrupted file. In the end I was able to Restore all backup data - no corruption file found - no more error message. For some reason the phone did not like the automatic Restore, I had to do it manually section by section.
I hope this helps for anyone still experiencing problems.

Collapse -
Answer
the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped
by Ric95 / May 24, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

I had the same problem when my motorola razr was upgraded to 4.0.1 I tried to clear the cache, the download manager is enabled, deleted the play store updates, cleared data in google contacts sync, and nothing seems to work. The message appears when syncing the contacts from my main google account (phone account). The strange thing is that I have other google acounts in my phone and they synch with no porblem.

Collapse -
Answer
googles.process.gapps has stopped
by allen19511952 / June 10, 2014 11:55 PM PDT

I have a Samsung phone get message the process com. google.gapps has stoped

Collapse -
I see this post is 579 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 12:02 AM PDT

I can only guess this is just a report and not a plea for further help. This old post is closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.