Windows Vista

General discussion

The Pipe State is Invalid

by papafas / December 29, 2009 7:06 PM PST

I'm running Windows Vista on my Toshiba Satellite P300-156 and I get this message when I try to run my system, "The pipe state is invalid". Kindly help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Pipe State is Invalid
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Pipe State is Invalid
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When exactly do you get this message?
by Kees Bakker / December 29, 2009 7:10 PM PST
Collapse -
The Pipe State is Invalid
by papafas / December 29, 2009 9:11 PM PST

Sorry, I meant to say when I want to run a program. I had tried to upgrade from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2, and the installation did not go through to completion, no matter what I tried. It just stuck at 65%. Eventually, I was left with a black desktop with only a Recycle Bin icon on it. This happened repeatedly over the space of about 2 weeks and did not respond to system restore or system repair.
Like magic, my laptop eventually booted to my proper desktop today. Because I had previously downloaded RegCure, I quickly seized the opportunity and tried to install it, so that I could do a check of my system; that was when I got the first message of 'ShellExecuteEx failed; code 230. The pipe state is invalid'.
I later tried to do an online scan using RegistryBooster 2010, and got the very same error message. I hope it is clearer now. Sorry for the earlier mis-information.

Collapse -
Re: invalid pipe state
by Kees Bakker / December 29, 2009 9:26 PM PST

With 65% of a service pack installed and system restore and system repair not working, your system probably is a mess.

So get your Toshiba System Recovery DVD and bring the machine back to its original state. From their, start all over.

And take this advice: never run a registry cleaner.

Kees

Collapse -
Pipe Issues
by papafas / December 29, 2009 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Re: invalid pipe state

Thanks for the candid advice; will do.

Collapse -
Explaination?
by YaHa96 / December 30, 2009 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re: invalid pipe state

I never heard anything wrong with registry cleaner. What harm do registry cleaners do?

Collapse -
Read these forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Explaination?

There are far too many pleas for help "after I used registry cleaner" for you to not notice those.

CCLEANER is a light cleaner if you must but beyond that most are just after YOUR MONEY.

Do what you want to live with the outcome?

Collapse -
Pipe State is Invalid
by erikaa13 / December 31, 2010 5:36 AM PST

When I try to download somethhing it tells me "The Pipe State is Invalid, does that mean I cannot download it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.