E-readers forum

General discussion

The Nook

by boswd / May 19, 2010 3:35 AM PDT

I've had my Nook for over a week now. So far this has been really impressive.

it's v.1.3 updated, the performance is very snappy.

I toiled endlessly between the Nook and The Kindle but in the end the Nook just has too many features that are more beneficial than the Kindle.

e-Pub supported (Kindle you are locked into their walled in garden) it's annoying enough with iTunes now Books? aye charumba

The in-store browsing. I'm a Bookstore nut so this is a great feature to browse and read books for free instore.

Free Friday's -yeah that is just cool.

Teh look and feel of it. I like the rubberized back, gives it a very high quality feel. The Kindle's back is a little slick at least the Kindle 2.

Navigation - the kindle just feels very 80'ish with that joystick to navigate around.

The Nook with the color lcd touch screen and finger swiping gives you more of a "Today" feel to it. It's fun to navigate around the Nook, you can even turn the pages using the finger swipe on the LCD screen when it goes dark. the Kindle is just boring in a sense.

Sorry I just like the book cover art and the newspapers covers that you can scroll through. It just adds to the overall experience.

Yes it does take some time with the Nook to fly through the navigations and where to go, etc. but so didn't the first time you got an IPhone, smartphone or you Blackberry. My old Motorola Startack Phone was easier to navigate than my iPone,

Wi Fi connection

As of right now after the performance enhancing and new webbrowser on the Nook it is the superior E-reader of the two.

it just really is.
The Kindle is very 80'ish

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Nook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Nook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about translating this to CNET User review on the Nook?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 21, 2010 7:19 AM PDT
In reply to: The Nook
Collapse -
Assault on Battery
by FiOS-Dave / January 29, 2011 9:42 AM PST

As I understand it, you MUST return a Kindle to have the battery replaces (at around $45!)
With the Nook, you pop off the back cover, remove one screw and pop out the battery, You can then purchase a new one from many different vendors, While the back is popped, you can add an SD card to increase your storage capability.
Since this is the first device I've hAd that uses finger swiping, I still get confused as to which way to swipe to move the contents on the LCD screen!
Also, when trying to log onto a website, you will probably have to zoom in 1 or 2 times in order to get to the login box on the webpage. Too bad there isn't a standard for placement of logon boxes!

Collapse -
Brouser Info
by Larry A, Scak / February 9, 2011 4:00 AM PST

I am think of this product. Do I need a web account with ATT or the like to use it through the wifi??

Collapse -
NO you do not
by krubby / February 9, 2011 2:52 PM PST
In reply to: Brouser Info

NO - you do not. what you do need is a wi fi connection for it to connect to if you want to wirelessly 'update'. at home you can always use your usb cable instead if you do not have wi fi. OR it works at McDonalds, Starbucks, etc - where ever they have free wi fi

but the device itself does not require any type of plan at all

I have the nook (not the color just the b&w nook) and love love love it

Collapse -
nope
by boswd / February 11, 2011 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: NO you do not

it'll connect to any wi fi connection, though some maybe password protected but nope no contracts at all, even if you get the 3G/Wi Fi version,

your wireless connection is free.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.