Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

The next generation of consoles

by angryfirelord / October 3, 2005 9:48 AM PDT

As you all may have heard, 3 new consoles are being released. However, which one will you choose? Because of all the info on web sites, I will try to keep things simple. First the specs:
It's too long to list, so I posted the urls:

PS3- http://www.ps3.net/ps3-specs.php
XBOX 360- (scroll down a little) http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm
Revolution- (updated leak) http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000077060215/
(Revolution is still a little iffy with specs)

Let's talk CPU
The PS3 Cell chip has a total of 8 cores, the XBOX has 3, and the Revolution has 2. So I should just wait for a PS3 and everything is fine, right?
Stop.
First, the small 7 cores share a block of cache. This means if one of cores needs storage, it will be limited because of the other 6 (the main one has it's own block). Having these many cores isn't ideal for games right now(think hyperthreading). Also, it's difficult to write code for that many cores. The XBOX's 3 full cores is actually a more ideal approach now, but that may change as gaming technology progresses.

Gameplay
Right now Sony has the largest choice of games, with Microsoft catching up. However, the problem with the current PS2 and Xbox is that most of the games stink(who owns 300 games and likes them all?). The Gamecube still has some kiddy games, but does have a couple of good ones.. It's still too hard to tell what will happen in terms of games. I don't know much on the newer game stuff, fill me in on that.

Controller
A lot of people like the way the Playstation controller fits into the hand. But Nintendo released a relatively interesting controller that you can use with one hand for the Revolution. It's also possible to point it at the screen and move a character by only moving the controller itself. If all goes well, this could be the Revolution's selling point despite it's somewhat behind in hardware.

So which one will you choose, the 360, the PS3, or the Revolution? I'm always against the popular choice, so I would pick the 360, but the only way to determine is to wait for the games themselves. Don't preorder anything until you see all the results.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The next generation of consoles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The next generation of consoles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PS3 for overall performance and game selection.
by John.Wilkinson / October 3, 2005 10:49 AM PDT

Nintendo used to be the best, but their latest selection of games for the Gamecube were tribute to the company's history. Personally, I simply don't like they way they tried to bring legacy 2D characters into the 21st century world of 3D and intense action. It just seems tacky to me. However, the return of the original Mario, Super Mario, etc, and a good selection of new games (if they even still have the touch for such) might be enough to put Nintendo back into the ring. They better have a strong debut, for this may by their final chance to reclaim the top spot.

In my opinion, Sony and Microsoft have been pretty close since the release of the Xbox, but Sony still has the edge with a slightly better selection of games and raw power/performance. Based on my experience with the PS2 and Xbox, what I've read about the PS3 and Xbox 360, and my gut feeling, I think Sony will maintain their edge, at least through this round of the console wars. However, I'm holding off final judgement until I have both controllers in my hands.

John

Collapse -
xbox 360
by Shmiegal-2081823246743021 / October 6, 2005 6:31 AM PDT

xbox 360 definetly 1 reason halo 3, not to mention halo 2. sickest games ever especially on xbox live, plus xbox is keeping things simple they arent completly changing there controller they are keeping it the same as the controller s which is sick. ps3 looks sick but the controller is a fuckin boomerang and its supposed to cost a shitload of money. and then nintendo is for little kids plus the controller is ********, have u seen any video of someone playin wit it they look ********. well thats my opinion.

Collapse -
Xbox 360 is going to be sweet
by xX GriFFiths Xx / October 27, 2005 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: xbox 360

Xbox 360 is going to be sweet. First of all the enhanced graphics are going to be the ****, and theres going to be a halo 3 for 360 ,which is going to be sweet, and it will probably be even better on live,just like it's younger brother,halo 2.

Collapse -
1st party 360 WL controllers cost $50
by ackmondual / December 16, 2005 10:41 AM PST

1st party non wired controllers cost $40.
AFAIK, the charging unit for the WL controller is supposed to cost an extra $20.

3rd party controllers cost $35 to $40.

I wouldn't call any of that cheap

Collapse -
ps3 controller are sick yo
by hieidark / December 23, 2005 6:30 AM PST

ps3 is very sick . The point make me very piss is that people think that ps3 controllers look gay, which aren't true. Xbox 360 is great . The important thing is that, how easy is it to control the controller when people are playing a game or something. THe look aren't as important as that.

Collapse -
I'll take the.........360
by johnathan111 / October 21, 2005 5:27 AM PDT

Over everything i'm still a microsoft fanboy any with microsoft is fine by me. and oh yea check out Gears of War it'll be the next gen killer app.

Collapse -
nintendo here
by ackmondual / October 25, 2005 9:12 AM PDT

I enjoy shooting my fair share of hookers which Nintendo doesn't offer alot of these days, but all the great franchises of Mario, Zelda, etc. are still there. Classics.... practically everyone of them.

Besides, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Sony or M$ copies Nintendo's stuff.

Collapse -
I would get 2
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 15, 2005 8:06 PM PST
In reply to: nintendo here

Well I'm going for both of them. Wait for prices to go down as it should in a year or so. I can wait for that and it's no big deal. Get the PS3 and the 360, which will be better than the Revolution.

Collapse -
No they wont
by Loktoar / June 9, 2006 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: nintendo here

First of all, the classics you talk of, SUCK! They have just been getting worse since the N64. And Sony & Microsoft wont copy Nintendo! There is nothing worth copying from them.

Collapse -
Just checking
by jelgert / June 9, 2006 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: No they wont

But I hope you don't mean Mario64 and Zelda the Ocrania of Time sure I mispelled at least one of those but both of those are classic games that saw vast improvment on the N64.

Collapse -
After the N64
by Loktoar / June 10, 2006 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checking

I mean after the N64 they have not had much improvement. Like the mario series is just getting repetative. Once again princess peach is kidnapped by bowser. Can mario save her? Find out in Mario 32. And nintendo is just puttting old games on the DS. Mario 64 DS is actually worse on the DS than it is on the N64. I played it and so did my friend who is a nintendo fan (but i think hes comming out of it) and we both agreed that its bad. There is also yet another new mario game on the DS. Its actually a NES game but they aded 2 new powerups that dont help much (according to x play) and thay made mario look like he did in Mario 64. But Zelda the windwaker for GC wasn't all too bad.

Collapse -
by Wii_Fanatic_ / November 11, 2006 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: No they wont

First of all the classics DONT SUCK! and Sony did copy Nintendo because they knew the controller idea is great... I have nothing against Microsoft

Collapse -
ima get 2
by l3ruce / November 15, 2005 5:37 PM PST

Ill have to get a Revolution (cheaper,very innovative, small,GOD THATS INNOVATIVE) as i really want to see what it brings to the table. And also a playstaion3 because they have my favorite console franchise, Tekken, AND, AND, AND, it is the only system, to my knowledge, that allows you to hook a keyboard and mouse. First person shooters anyone??

Collapse -
XB2 has 2 usb ports for kb and mouse
by ackmondual / December 16, 2005 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: ima get 2

It's currently not supported for games. Just data entry for Xbox Live registration. I'm sure M$ will release drivers for the kb and mouse for games tho. It can't be THAT hard

Collapse -
PS3
by davaal / December 16, 2005 3:03 AM PST

i'm a PSX guy. i've had every major game system since the Atari, to include the Dreamcast (which i loved). i'm angry with 360- they have a weak list of launch titles, and i'm ticked that i'll have to buy an 360 just to play Halo III. I only bought the original XBOX to play Halo 2. and now i have to buy a damn HD to play it on my new system. i was ticked that after buying NCAA 20005 on the XBOX, i had to return it and buy it on the PS2 because it was nearly unplayable with slow downs and play stoppage. It got a little better this year. what's the point of bragging about better graphics if the gameplay is trash? whatever advantage XBOX had in load times and graphics wentto **** everytime i ran a HB dive up the middle and went into bullet time. i'd rather play 10 yard fight on the old sega than suffer thru my favorite football game on the XBOX. But how can the 360 version of a game be so much worse then the XBOX version? Madden 06 is garbage on the 360. Theyve left out most of my favorite features. And my 360 glitched 10 minutes out the box.

Theyre gonna have to show me some games, and i mean good games. and i want a lot of them. The PSP shouldnt have a better game selection than the 360 - and yet it does.

The PS3, as long as it plays my favorite games atleast as well as the PS2, will have my buck.

I also dont want to get caught out in the cold with a standard DVD player when the industry moves to blu-ray or HD-DVD. As reported on this site, the entire motion picture industry has already commited to one form of HD or the other. And in years to come, game makers will be creating games on HD or BluRay disks. what is MS gonna do for us then? it'll prolly be some expensive upgrade or hack that'll void our warranty unless they fix it.

i had a 360, and i took it back. i'll be waiting for the PS3. the Revolution looks interesting too. i'm not sure i like the Colico Vision controller.

Collapse -
About blue ray
by jelgert / June 9, 2006 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: PS3

I think people may be making a bigger deal out of this thing as a player than it really should be did anyone ever use their ps2 as a dvd player it wasn't very good at it its audio output was very poor and very often what was a very audible volume for recieving your satalite/cable signal wasn't even at a whisper level for a dvd on the ps2 really it seemed to me that the 30-40 dollar dvd systems were more up to par than the ps3 on playing dvd's add to this the fact that when they put this system in it was an already established technology dvd's that is now the blue-ray player on the ps3 is going to be new and it is going to be largly untested I believe the first blue ray players aren't even going to be released until June 20 of this year a push back date probably indicating problems already much like the HD-DVD player is having right now add to this the fact that the lasers in the first year of sony systems are somewhat synonymous for failing look at your old ps1 and your first ps2 both systems needed to replaced b/c of laser related problems. Anyways I'm not saying the ps3 won't be a great system just that I'd feel a little more comfortable with the Wii this holiday season when they release over the ps3 or really the Xbox 360 which should be the next to get rid of its overheating problem which I'd imagine might also be a problem in the ps3 if they don't provide adequate cooling for all that power. On a final note waiting isn't going to hurt you here the industry isn't going to switch in a night to blu-ray or HD-DVD both of these are systems that need a HD television really to be used to their full advantage as they are going to display video as implied by HD-DVD in HD. Also basically what these systems do to my understanding is use a laser with a smaller wavelength to penetrate deeper into the disk and allow access to smaller bits of information anyways just my opinion here but I'm guessing it takes them a while to get actual full use out of that technology I mean years not months there so if you don't have it right away you'd probably be ok picking it up in year or so.

Collapse -
sony reliable
by popereel / June 10, 2006 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: About blue ray

I have never had a problem with my sony products and i never ever rebought a system and i won't. I got both my ps1 and 2 very early and there perfectly fine, i pre ordered my psp that baby has never failed me in any way.

Collapse -
Samething
by alagappa1 / September 27, 2006 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: sony reliable

Some people assume that the PS1 and PS2 have some serious problems, but mine work perfectly fine, i've had my PS1 for 7 years now and it has absolutely no problems, that also goes for my PS2 and my PSP. I believe that the PS3 will also have any problems but some people believe that they do, however they don't know. They also say that there are problems with the lazer that reads the disk but its fine.

Collapse -
mine did
by Wii_Fanatic_ / November 11, 2006 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Samething

my playstation had problems, I never bought a ps2 so I cant say anything about that, and I took back my PSP because the games sucked too bad so i bought a ds and 4 games with that money my ds has never failed me yet

Collapse -
Finally
by alagappa1 / September 27, 2006 12:41 AM PDT

Finally, someone agrees with me, i have had discussions with so many people and they don't see that the price is not everything, they do not look and see the specs, its annoying. The PS3 IS the best next gen console and I agree with you 100%.

Collapse -
you get what you pay for...
by bevillan / September 27, 2006 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally

And what you're paying for is a cheaply made Blu-ray player that is supposed to cost Sony only $500. Blu-ray currently has a huge problem with keeping up to HD-DVD in terms of picture quality due to BR's picture cropping problem. Also, a shortage of blue laser diodes (the reason for the PS3 shortage and delay in Europe) tells me that they are having a tough time producing enough up-to-spec diodes that actually work.

Sony should have shipped PS3 with a DVD9 drive and then given their customers the option (like MS is doing) to add-on a BR player. With Sony's history of how poorly they have marketed their new media formats, I expect BR to be no different from Betamax and Mini-disc, it will die off slowly.

I also saw news that some Warner Bros. workers have successfully created a multi-layer DVD disk that can make enough room for HD content and is MUCH cheaper to manufacturer than HD-DVD or Blu-ray disks. Infact, on these new DVD disks they can fit a movie in both the current format and the HD format so that no one will be left out.

Say goodbye to HD-DVD/Blu-ray if they can get this new technology to market in the near future.

Collapse -
All the facts
by Lovethechamp / September 27, 2006 3:39 AM PDT

The shortage of diodes is because HD-DVD drive and Blu-Ray use the exact same laser diode and Sony is currently the primary manufacturer of it. Demand for lenses for standalone players as well as PS3's created the shortage

Collapse -
Sorry but you got it wrong
by blklacker / September 27, 2006 1:58 PM PDT

HD- dvd is great not doubt, but if you have the correct tv blueray is much better to the eyes sorry to break it to you. I have a sony xbr3 1080p lcd 46" I have already tested it and found from serveral on my AV buddys blue ray is much better looking than HD-DVD but the real dilemma is getting the correct tv to view such new content. Sorry but your wrong blue ray is much better on a 1080p TV, Will post pictures if needed.

Yes the blueray in the ps3 will probally not be as good as a dedicated 1,000 dollar blueray player. but I know it will look much better than any HD-dvd player. as long as you have a 1080p tv

Nuff said

Collapse -
PS3 will have no overheating problems
by ShadowMagus / September 27, 2006 6:26 AM PDT

The Ps3 will feature heatsinks to more the heat out WAY better and it's as quiet as the ps2 slim (witch i can barely hear).

Collapse -
XBOX 360
by damasta55r / December 16, 2005 10:07 AM PST

IF IT GETS UPDATED to support hd-dvd or blu-ray and comes with HDMI port

Collapse -
BIAS
by blklacker / September 27, 2006 1:29 PM PDT

Your post was so bias towards ps3, you cant sit that and say 6 cores wont be enough. The thing you have to remeber about sony is that if they make a gaming console they make sure the user gets at least 10yrs out of it. Look at the ps1,ps2... I mean the ps2 lasted almost 2 decades alone, before the xbox came along. If you look at it this way; anyone who bought an xbox got screwed.Payed $300+ dollars for an Xbox and it lasted hmmm a few yrs before they realease xbox 360 and im sorry besides halo and fight night round 3 and madden Im not impressed with the titles for xbox360. And Im sorry ps2 has better titles than the xbox alone. nuff said. ps3 well be a gaming console that will last at least 8yrs

Collapse -
8 cores on ps3
by blklacker / September 27, 2006 4:40 PM PDT

ps3 8 cores will work great on the type of games that are going to be deveopled in the future. Ps3 is made to last well into the next decade. It has a amazing bandwith and 1.3 HDMI. It will be hard to create any game this decade that it wouldnt able to process.

System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

Collapse -
Who cares about lasting into the next decade?
by bevillan / September 28, 2006 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: 8 cores on ps3

Are you telling me that Sony is just going to ride the PS3 well beyond 2010? By then the next gen of consoles will be out since the averaged console life is 4 years until a new one comes out. Anyone who is forking up the cash to participate in the new wave of consoles will for sure buy the next gen when it is available and not ride something from 2006 till 2012 or so.

Maybe by the time the next round of consoles come out more people will have 1080p HDTVs and including a BR/HD-DVD drive with the console would make sense...but until then I will stick with a DVD drive that doesn't drive up the console price. (This coming fromg a guy with a 1080p TV).

Collapse -
I care sorry
by blklacker / September 29, 2006 7:23 AM PDT

I care when we pay $600
nuff said

Collapse -
shelf life
by blklacker / September 29, 2006 7:26 AM PDT

PS2 lasted darn near 10yrs buddy. how long did xbox last LOL barely 2yr. My point is that we should have to pay 300-600 dollars ever 2 years for a new console. Id rather pay 600 and know it will last until at least 1012.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.