Laptops forum

General discussion

The Netbook Tips. 1920 x 1080 pixels and other tips.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 3:46 AM PST

Add your handy tips to this thread. As usual, links are not allowed in this discussion to thwart spammers. No taglines either.

-> How to enable Pan and Scroll to support software that has screens too big for our Netbook. A step by step. <-

Let me boot up my Acer AOA 1690-1447 to get the exact clicks I used.

1. Right click on the desktop, Properties.
2. Click Settings, then Advanced.
3. Click Monitor and uncheck the Hide modes that this monitor cannot display.
4. Click OK.
5. Advanced closes and now you can change the Screen resolution up to 1920 by 1080 pixels.

Easy as pi.

Check the Hide modes to undo the changes.
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Netbook Tips. 1920 x 1080 pixels and other tips.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Netbook Tips. 1920 x 1080 pixels and other tips.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Netbook Tips. 1920 x 1080 pixels and other tips.
by Conroysimon / May 10, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

And other option is graphics property.
Go and change pixel.

Collapse -
Can't get to that OK button?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2010 12:05 AM PDT

Can't get to thebottom of the screen...
by lsyrek - 3/3/10 6:45 AM In reply to: I cannot get to the bottom of the last page where I am sure by R. Proffitt Moderator

Here is what worked for me:

1. click on start
2. click on control panel
3. click on display
4. click on the settings tab
5. click on the advanced button
6. change your dpi setting to read 96 dpi
7. under the compatibility section on the same screen, click apply without restart.
That should do it.
Dolly

Collapse -
Easy as pi.
by ninaholic / February 8, 2012 10:31 AM PST

On my Acer D257-1691, the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" text is grayed out and can't be selected. Just saying.

And the path to get there is different: right click on Desktop -> Graphic Properties -> Advanced Settings -> Monitor. This is in Windows 7 Starter.

And for R. Proffitt's idea... I had to change the Control Panel from "Category" to "Large Icons" to find the "Display" icon, and the closest thing I could find in it on the left-bar options was "Set custom text size (DPI)" which was already at 96 dpi and just changes the text size anyway.

"Easy as pi." I get it now. Because pi is one really complicated number! Good one guys. Happy

Collapse -
New netbooks
by ninaholic / April 15, 2012 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy as pi.

The "Hide Modes" option is also grayed out and can't be changed on the new Acer Aspire One D270 netbooks with Atom N2600 out of the box. My guess is because changing the resolution has been proven to damage displays/computers in some way (that's what the generic Win7 warning claims anyway).

Collapse -
Still works here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: New netbooks

But if someone believes this warning, I will not spend time trying to persuade them. For now, let's leave this for those that want or need this tip.
Bob

Collapse -
Thankyouy
by jhonivicanzah / August 24, 2013 7:40 AM PDT

all tips from you guys are very helpful thnx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.