Linux

Question

The most user-friendly linux distro?

by mr.teflondon / January 11, 2012 2:16 PM PST

I want to install a linux distro on my PC and I am wondering what is the most user-friendly linux distro. I have Fedora 16 and don't really care for that much. I am curious if there are any more windows based linux distro that install software and stuff without having to use a lot of code writing. Any suggestions anybody has are great. Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The most user-friendly linux distro?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The most user-friendly linux distro?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I say...try them all.
by ahtoi / January 12, 2012 1:15 AM PST

because it's so inexpensive. Personally I am using PCLinux.

Collapse -
Live cd is
by Ray_moe / January 12, 2012 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: I say...try them all.

your best friend in selecting a linux distro.

You can see what it offers and how easy to use it will be.

Personally I use Mageia 1 a spin off of Mandriva comes in multiple desktops.

Collapse -
User freindliest linux is...
by buick1946 / January 31, 2012 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: I say...try them all.

I have tried many and have little patience for distributions that do not work "out of the box" so to speak. If things don't work first time then its a hobby, not a computer opperating system.
I have had the best run out of PCLinuxOS, although it is not the prettiest or the most feature packed.
It has a "Control Centre" that makes messing about with the settings easier than just about any other distribution.
The forums are also very friendly to new users.

Collapse -
Answer
my take
by i_love_tazzus / February 2, 2012 12:46 AM PST

Once upon a time, I too had ample amounts of free time to try out every Linux distribution I could get my hands on. This is no longer true. I feel that Ubuntu has greatly solved a lot of issues for desktop/laptop users. It's not perfect, but it's very refined, and I find it as easy and intuitive to use as any Windows or MacOS based system. At one point, I even had to walk my dad through using Ubuntu, just to surf the web on my laptop. He found it easier than the Windows system he uses at work!

Collapse -
Answer
I use Mandriva
by R_Head / February 13, 2012 5:13 AM PST

Since I had my 1st taste of Mandriva (formerly known as Madrake/Mandrakesoft) back in the late 90s it is the most easiest distro to mess with. They are actually the pioneeres

As mentioned before, they are the creators of the MCC (Mandriva Control Center) or commonly known as Control Center.

Also, has Easy URPMI which is a website for repositories all over the world. So if one is down or no longer supported you can configure your system without even entering a command line (if you want to).

If you are a MS user, KDE is more similar if you are an Apple user, GNOME seems to be the closest to it.

There are other like Enlightenment, XFCE, and many others. Some are more graphic intensive than others.

The differences on the most common Packaging Systems that are Debian or RPM.

*buntus are Debian based, Mandriva are based on RPM. They all have their pros and cons. Most of the success is from the community.

The desktop environment is what people are more familiar with. Depending how good was integrated the experience variate from distro to distro. If you want to go by Distrowatch, is a source of Linux distros; however, is not "THE Site" for Linux distros. There are more sources.

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) kubuntu
by daterdave / March 14, 2012 9:14 PM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
The choice is yours...
by joeipt10 / March 17, 2012 11:04 PM PDT

I agree that you should try multiple Linux distros. However, I think I can get you started.

Try these, my personal favorites:
Ubuntu - Different variations are Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu
Linux Mint - Different variations are Mint 12 KDE and Mint 12 LXDE.

Collapse -
Answer
Linux OS's
by JunkYardTM / June 3, 2012 2:37 AM PDT

I've used a lot of them.

From a ease of use perspective, you can't go wrong with Linux Mint. Unfortunately Ubuntu has gone down a separate path with Unity.

I would suggest to go with Debian stable and save yourself all the trouble. It' arguably the most stable Linux distro and I can assure you,, once you get it working, there is very little configuration. It's packages are a bit outdated, but you can always install packages manually.

For the brave: Arch Linux

Collapse -
Answer
Suse 12.3 Gnome
by elcues / February 4, 2014 6:58 AM PST

I have Linux Suse 12.3 . I like it but setting up a wireless connection was difficult but was successful.
Getting a wireless USB stick that was identifiable was the difficult part.
I found the 3D REACH to work well but a little slow.
Hard wired was no problem. I am using the GNOME as to the KDE platform.
I have 13.1 Suse but am afraid to install it because of possible configuration wireless problems.
I worked for three years just to get any linux system to work wireless.
I still have some problems getting most streaming video to work properly. Some of it is ok and some is terrible.
Very jumpy and intermittent.
I am by no means a computer GURU at all. I am a retired craftsman.
Basically if you are computer literate at all you should be able to get it going.
I did it just to see if I could do it. Just to get away from windows was a great feeling.

Collapse -
Answer
Try Zorian
by wt.pm / February 14, 2014 8:45 AM PST

I managed to move my whole non-tech family over to linux using Zorin. It's almost a mirror image of Windows 7.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.