The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The iPhone is here at last. What feature stands out for you?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 9, 2007 5:49 AM PST

The iPhone is here at last. What feature stands out for you?

Music and video
Full-fledged Mac OS X
The "multitouch" interface
The proximity sensor
Visual voice mail
The 2-megapixel camera
The style! The style!
All of the above
Blah, it's a phone...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The iPhone is here at last. What feature stands out for you?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The iPhone is here at last. What feature stands out for you?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blah
by quierearth / January 9, 2007 11:42 AM PST

The Iphone may be nice to some but Power users (Like me) need more than that,

I myself have the Fujitsu Pocket loox witch gives me Everything I need and more,

Sorry to Disappoint,

Collapse -
"blah"
by someToast / January 9, 2007 12:00 PM PST
In reply to: Blah

The only ones saying "blah, it's just a phone" haven't seen it yet. In one fell swoop, this device has redefined both cell phone and mobile internet appliance interfaces (to say nothing of the iPod interface).

Collapse -
so much for "blah"
by loryjean58 / January 9, 2007 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: "blah"

I'm in love...and I'm taking donations. ;>)

Collapse -
Apple fanboys
by Ryo Hazuki / January 16, 2007 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: "blah"

As always, the typical humbleness and coherence one would come to expect coming from Apple fanboys: if you say anything bad about an Apple product, regardless of how true it is, either you haven't tried it yet or you're an idiot, because Apple products are perfect. What's redifining in a touchscreen that's what I'd love to know.

Collapse -
Kudos buddy kudos
by rashidtem / January 16, 2007 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Apple fanboys

You are a sane one.

Collapse -
Blah-its just another phone
by martynz / January 9, 2007 11:48 AM PST

and yet another way to get people to spend money they don't have on gadgets they don't need.

Collapse -
Hmmm
by quierearth / January 9, 2007 11:51 AM PST

Very correct,

Collapse -
blah...blah...blah
by jfranc / January 10, 2007 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm

Yes it is just phone and the last time I looked 42% of respondents agreed. How is this gadget gonna make my quality of life better??? I would suggest that anyone buying one has a lot of money and/or they believe they will look really really cool. (I'm probably just an old bloke!!) I'm sure my children would like one each tho....no chance!

Collapse -
Blah-its just another phone
by JonJontheMighty / January 9, 2007 11:57 AM PST

Just another way to squeeze the extra BUCK out of the punters,kids and the "Gullible!

Collapse -
WHAT!!
by bd1886 / January 9, 2007 5:17 PM PST

Bet they said that about the abacus (As they were stomping their foot on the ground to count!!). Ur... No disrespect intended.I just see the development as more than "just a gadget".

Collapse -
Another phone/gadget
by capkarl / January 10, 2007 3:21 AM PST

My thoughts exactly

Collapse -
Ain't no thing!
by twheid / January 9, 2007 12:17 PM PST

Big deal another phone. Until it can dial for me the phone number that I'm thinking, who cares! I also need a phone that sounds like the person is standing next to me. Good luck!

Collapse -
I guess i'm just a geek...
by _sorrow_ / January 9, 2007 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: Ain't no thing!

I guess i'm just a geek, but i found the whole darn thing to be really exciting -- especially the fact that it has full-fleged Mac OS-X. Granted, i am a die-hard PC user, but a full operating system on a phone is pretty exciting because of the possibilities it offers.. Something about being able to run shell commands on a phone gets me excited.

And all of the other features are downright impressive too; i really think that we are going to be seeing a lot of new innovations this year because of the challenge that Apple has present other phone companies. Too bad our phones are still ages behind those they have in Japan!

Collapse -
Blah! It's just a phone.
by dlsears / January 9, 2007 2:07 PM PST

Being in love with the iPhone doesn't mean that you're a geek, only that you're a gadget-addict. This everything-but-the-kitchen-sink gadget is just one more demonstration of how low Western culture has dipped recently. It would have been perfectly fine had it omitted the iPod module. Who needs a phone that plays mp3s? Yeah, I like to listen to music sometimes, but only on a decent sound system or with decent headphones that won't destroy my eardrums. It makes me ill to see so many people walking, running, driving, riding, or doing anything with earbuds blasting their hearing away. It makes me ill to realize that so many contemporaries are incapable of living without being constantly entertained. They are sad people, just like the people who turn on their TV sets because they can't stand being alone and need the spurious sounds of the human voice to trick them into feeling that they aren't alone. And I expect that things will only get worse, not better, in the near future. But this is what the masses want, and when corporations give them what they want, they gobble up the candy like babies in Willie Wonka's chocolate factory would.

Collapse -
Try to be happy
by CoolDudeCR / January 10, 2007 12:20 AM PST

Some people is happy listening to music with an ipod, and some other people don't, that's diversity!... My advise for you is to be happy on your way instead of shooting critics to people who don't share your taste for entertainment. I would love to have an iPhone, but some other people is happy with a brick-styled mobile phone, and that's ok... it's all about your right to choose...

Collapse -
No, it's not about anyone's "right to choose"
by dlsears / January 11, 2007 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try to be happy

"Diversity" is a nonsense political term that has nothing to do with the marketplace. You shouldn't use words you don't understand.

As for anyone's "right to choose" what piece of equipment they want to buy, the only choices you can make are those the manufacturers and vendors give you. And those you can afford to make -- assuming that you actually have the free will to make a real choice to begin with.

If being constantly entertained by having digital sounds pumped directly at your eardrums makes you "happy", then you're not the kind of person whose advice I can take seriously. You're probably a charter member of "The Frivolous Generation", a digital-dope (as in "drug", not the intellectually challenged dwarf from Disney's Snow White) processor zoned out and iTuned-in to the soothing digital flow of cash from your wallet to corporate coffers for the privilege of escaping the realities of boring everyday life, and a soma-holiday addict. That's just the kind of person mp3 players with telephone modules are made for. That's reality.

It's not a matter of "taste for entertainment" but the need to be constantly entertained that I'm critiquing, and the willingness of rich consumers to pony up so much cash -- more than a lot of the people in the third world earn a month or even a year -- for a toy.

As someone else mentioned, how long will the battery last if you're listening to music all day long between phone calls and web-surfing? A cell phone, and especially a smart cell phone, is supposed to be functional piece of business equipment, not an adjunct to an mp3 player. I'd be interested in the iPhone if it really were a smart phone instead of an overpriced obese iPod.

Collapse -
Here here
by jfranc / January 11, 2007 5:40 PM PST

Well said, especially about the bit about the third world.

Collapse -
Nice
by Ed-duh-win / January 12, 2007 7:09 AM PST

Nice post :thumbsup:

Collapse -
Totally agree with you bud
by rashidtem / January 12, 2007 1:16 PM PST
In reply to: Try to be happy

I'm all going for it as well.

Collapse -
iPhone... OSX
by jellojerry / January 11, 2007 10:45 AM PST

I've read lots articles recently on this phone... in three articles, the writers said it is NOT true OSX, much less FULL-FLEGED OSX, in the iPhone which it won't be called for long since Cisco owns that name.

At $499 and $599 for the expanded RAM model, it is for the well-to-do crowd. The favorite price point for a phone is $100. Only those who think Jobs is a god will open their wallets.

And, with all the glitz, what will battery life be?

Collapse -
Agree with you on that buddy
by rashidtem / January 19, 2007 3:34 PM PST

Good response

Collapse -
Rember the OS
by cdanner / January 9, 2007 2:16 PM PST

Don't forget that it's OS X!

As soon as someone can write an app. that can read your mind, it can likely be added onto this phone!

I know I wouldn't use it, though, since I probably don't know anybody that you're thinking of.

Collapse -
iPhone.... i What?
by archer6 / January 15, 2007 9:34 AM PST

What I love about the iPhone is the money I save by not being duped into buying one.

What I love about my BlackBerry 7130c, Everything! It's fast, stable, does everything I need and more. Plus I'm enjoying it NOW!

Collapse -
Marketing and Sex Appeal
by jer2eydevil88 / January 9, 2007 2:44 PM PST

Lets face it this thing is going to be in every movie and magazine for the next year. We will see celebrity's and tech pundits everywhere showing theirs off. The new hotness will have these affixed to their bodies and the majority of people in America will want one.

That aside its not the most technically superior phone to have ever been devised, its simply the most elegant and user friendly phone with advanced technical capabilities. I for one am interested in it because my experience with Apple products has been phenomenal! Their customer support speaks much more about their products than anything else they offer.

Collapse -
Marketing, Sex appeal
by Bob_Mattar / January 14, 2007 7:21 PM PST

I expect big sales for iphone because it?s sexy look and friendly interface. The same goes with Motorola razr phones they sell a lot for they appeal not for features and high tech.! However, Nokia doesn't sell well in US because its models are not appealing to the consumers while it?s full of features and the latest technology!

Collapse -
Its just a phone.....
by Ed-duh-win / January 9, 2007 3:12 PM PST

Its just a phone. Just because its from Apple, the "maker of superior stuff to everyone else" doesn't mean it is the best. Besides, what good is a full-fledged Mac OS X on a phone...

Collapse -
aaww c'mon...don't be a party pooper
by blrhead / January 9, 2007 3:41 PM PST
In reply to: Its just a phone.....

yeah it is a phone, but it is not just a phone. I was thinking of all the neat phones out there to see which one would I buy. I tought of the Blackjack, The Pearl, and the LG Chocolate. Now those are pretty cool phones and all, but seriosly, it is so hard to do stuff with them. Altough blackberrys are cool, you constantly have to scroll the thumbwheel forever to get where you started from. Also what steve jobs said was very true, you can't write applications for all these other smartphones or cell phones. The advantage of having OSX built on to the phone is that they can always update software packages, and who knows, since MAC supports Microsoft Office, you can use that to edit documents. Sure, some people might not like the phone, but we can all agree that we wish all the other phones had features like these.

Collapse -
What you say is true enough, ...
by dlsears / January 9, 2007 5:40 PM PST

but it's an iPod phone. I'm in the market for a smart phone right now, so I have nothing against functional gadgets myself, but I do have a problem with the whole iPod and the I-can't-live-without-listening-to-MY-music-even-if-it-annoys-the-hell-out-of-everybody-else idea that fuels it. Instead of thinking "How can I entertain myself and satisfy my own interests without keeping the neighbors awake?", this kind of masturbatory technology encourages the Stepford-like "Won't you entertain me and keep me from being bored?" attitude more and more people seem to have these days. I'm not against having a small handheld computer with OSX--I'd even prefer that to WinCE and other proprietary OSs. But I don't want to pay for an iPod. Doesn't it irk the hell out of you that to download QuickTime you now also have to download iTunes whether you want to or not? It really ticks me off.

Collapse -
for god's sake...
by moeness86 / January 9, 2007 10:44 PM PST

oh plz .. gimme a break !
edit documents on sthg the size of my palm while i can have a laptop or a flat screen @ my PC ?

well , assuming i'm that kind of pro who gets to notice flaws in his presentations often right before he gets to do'em .. well , hmmm!
still , any Pocket PC with a full Keyboard will kick that things back ..

and , already all ppl have iPods or zenz or whatever , who needs another 1 !!!

Collapse -
Porting apps

You make it sound like porting apps to mobile devices is easy. It's not even if we are talking about refactoring. Sure some functionality objects could be reused but the UI limitations require rewrite of everything on the front end and majority of the back end. Pixel limitations, handling graphic objects, handling errors/exceptions...

The UI and the hardware looks slick, but I hope it will be discounted from its $600 price tag. Apple known for forcing partners and retailers from discounting their products. Will this be the case for the iPhones? As others have mentioned, it would be an easy call for me to live with a basically free Blackjack ($10 on web retailers) and buy me a PS3.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.