PC Applications forum

General discussion

The easiest freeware program to convert wav to mp3?

by Timmmmmaaahh / June 19, 2007 4:56 PM PDT

What would you consider the easiest - idiotproof - and most of all FREE program to convert audio formats (mostly wav) to mp3? I'm talking major simplicity here, single-click conversion..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The easiest freeware program to convert wav to mp3?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The easiest freeware program to convert wav to mp3?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by PudgyOne / June 19, 2007 7:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: convert wav to mp3.
by Kees Bakker / June 20, 2007 1:47 AM PDT

Audacity surely works, but you've got to install LAME also, and that is too difficult for some (read through http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7597_102-0.html?forumID=41&threadID=252601&messageID=2516041 if you don't believe me). I certainly wouldn't describe it as idiotproof. You've got to enter the mp3-tags. If you don't, they will be empty.

A equally free alternative is cdex. That's simpler, and coupled to a cd-database.

But the simplest program I know (and I'm currently using it, so I happen to know what I talk about) is Windows Mediaplayer 11. It's free. And it's integrated in Windows. Go into My Computer or Windows Explorer. Select the .wav files (the program can do multiple files in one pass). Right click. Choose "Convert using Media Player". Fill in a few parameters, click OK, click convert and wait till it's ready. If the .wav-files come from cd (after you ripped it), it fills in the tags automatically.
Easy. Even I can do it.

It might be that earlier versions of WMP do the same. I never tried.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
forget about Win Med Player
by lionheart1000 / February 20, 2011 5:44 PM PST

Pls, dont make ads for the abovementioned program.
Is there any program as lame as that?
My advice is install VLC, free, for any film and music pro.
And if you dont understand how to fix the lame-file into Audacity, forget about computers.
The instructions are so easy my boy at six years handles it.

Collapse -
I use media monkey
by shades09 / June 20, 2007 12:44 PM PDT

It converts and organizes your music files

Collapse -
I've been using Switch
by billygard / June 22, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

... formerly referred to (I think) as Shuffler. It puts an entry in your context menu "convert using switch". It opens a window whose use is pretty self-explicit. There is only once problem I have using it. It blanks the screen during conversion, leaving just a text and block-mouse cursser. So you cannot do anything else on your computer. I didn't think that MP3 conversion was so darn surgical that it required putting your computer under.

I'm a little incredulous about WMP 11 including MP3 conversion. Are you sure there wasn't some little plugin or codec you have to add (for a price) in order to make MP3s? I have version 7 now but I'll check on it. This is great if all you need is WMP, because I like to have that program anyway.

Other than these, all the other MP3 generating software I've checked on the web says that they discontinued their product because MP3 is patented and there is no legal way to provide it without a license.

Collapse -
Free Mp3 Wma Converter
by Groover_1971 / June 22, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

Although the name may be misleading (Free Mp3 Wma Converter), it will convert a WAV file to an MP3 very easily. The program is freeware, not shareware. I have used it to convert MP4s to MP3s. It can be found right here on c/net.

It also comes with a separate free Ripper and a free Cutter program. It installs in under a minute. The window interface is very simple. Load files to convert. Select convert format. Press the Convert button.

Collapse -
by WAArnold / June 22, 2007 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Free Mp3 Wma Converter
Collapse -
by cantaro61 / June 22, 2007 5:09 PM PDT

an easy freeware-program is Media Monkey. try to get it by www.chip-online.de or www.computerbild.de. This P. is executable in many languages. excuse my bad english, but school is over in 1980.

Collapse -
Media Monkey
by OttifantSir / June 22, 2007 7:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Freeware

I own Media Monkey myself, and while the Original Poster may have gotten the idea that it's just a conversion program, it's more:

A music Library able to do any and all that WMP does, better. Mainly because the library is organised MUCH better. You can sync portable units (iPod, Zen, Zune, cell phones), rip CDs, burn CDs, etc.

I would recommend that program to anyone. It's free, yet it's not. There are some features not included in the free version. If they aren't essential to you, you got, IMO, one of THE best musicplayer/-organisers/-conversionprograms out there.

If you are content using WMP as your player (I am not, I use it ONLY to watch DRM-WMVs. Everything else, MediaMonkey and VLC), I'd like to recommend BonkEnc: http://www.bonkenc.org/

For video, I recommend SUPER: www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html, which can also do solely audio. A LOT of choices can be made in this program, but you can also just drag and drop, choose which format, and hit Encode.

The difference between BonkEnc and SUPER, is that since BonkEnc is a pure audio-encoder, it also has the ability to get info from online database, or insert your own tags to the file. SUPER just does conversion, but it covers a wider area of conversion. Should the need arise to do more than simple WAV to MP3, you have it. No external codecs needed for any of the two latter programs. Well, BonkEnc needs to download the VQF codec, but if you don't know why you should use it, and you're looking for WAV to MP3, you don't need it.

Collapse -
The easiest freeware program to convert wav to mp3
by iirsm / June 22, 2007 10:22 PM PDT

Try this one that i use, it's free and will convert just about all and you get a free ripper with it.

Collapse -
by Carboglace / June 25, 2007 1:39 AM PDT

I agree audacity is pretty good.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.