TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

The Defective Mitsubishi DLP TV Owners Thread

by kevindb85 / September 27, 2010 12:14 AM PDT

I'm starting this thread so that we can have all the info about these defective Mitsubishi tv's in one spot. Mine is the WD-65833, and is only 2 years old, and is completely dead! It has the swollen capacitor problem on the main board. (BGLOD) It also, had a flashing light in the upper left quarter of the screen, and a few white "spots" or pinholes in the screen. (light engine)

Mitsubishi has proven to be the worst customer support that I have ever dealt with from ANY company. Their "best and only" offer was to LET me buy another one of their tv's at a discount. The discount was a joke, as I found the same price on line, and know that it could be bought cheaper at the employee price at a major electronic retailer. For a 2 year old tv with KNOWN defective technology, the only acceptable solution is a no cost replacement.

If all of us owners of these junk Mitsubishi tv's join together, like the owners of the Sony's with the optical block problem did, then we can get them to step up and do the right thing. Right now they still deny knowing of any defect in their tv's despite the thousands of posts on various forums about it.

Many people are considering class action lawsuits against them, and there is a thread on this forum about that.

There is now a Facebook page called "I Have A Defective Mitsubishi TV" The more people who join this the better, the same way the Sony page did. It forced Sony to respond positivly to the people who were on the page, and they even have a special team that monitors the page, and responds to the people on there. I had one of the defective Sony's also, and thanks to the facebook page I now have a FREE Sony KDL-52EX700!

I urge evryone to join the face book page and post your experience. If you have misgivings about joining facebook, so did I, but you can hide your info if you want to.

You can also email their customer support at: mdeaservice@mdea.com
Tell them about your tv, and that you have been reading on the forums about other owners of these known defects.

You can also call this # 1-800-332-2119 and when the menu voice starts, press 8.

This will get you through to a higher level of customer service, that they don't seem to want the general public to know about. Tell them Kevin sent you!

Either way, don't let them win! Let them know that you expect them to step up and provide FREE replacements for your tv's! And again, consider joining the facebook page and posting also, it can help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Defective Mitsubishi DLP TV Owners Thread
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Defective Mitsubishi DLP TV Owners Thread
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WD-57732
by ntchthunder / March 3, 2011 3:39 AM PST

WD-57732 Blinking Green light of death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guy's and gal's this is Ronnie I have a Wd-57732 which I wish I never bought. From the first month I had this TV I have had problems with it. After about 2 weeks after I bought it it started shuting down, called hhGreg and they ask if I had a clen power strip, I told them no, so they told me I needed 1 so I bought a monster clean power strip ($139.99) well that did not fix it. So they told me to call Mits. they told me it could be my cable box, so I call me cable company and they came out and changed out me box ! Well that did now work, Call Mits. again and they told me it could be the termo. sen. and I called repair man and they came out and change it out! Well that did not work ,so I called them back out and they did it again, well still did not fix the tv. The best you could do was watch tv about 1-2 hours then it would cut off. I worked on the road so my wife just did not mess with it much as it would just make her mad. Well now I am back home and as of Nov. we got the BLINKING GREEN LIGHT OF DEATH ! I wish I would of never Bought this junk tv and when I see anyone in a store I trying to buy 1 I tell them not 2 as they are JUNK !!

Thanks
Ronnie G.

Collapse -
WD-57831 Cost of Ownership over $120/month over 3.5 years
by cnet4me / May 4, 2011 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: WD-57732

6 lamps, three light engines, crushed blacks, and now another bright white spot in the middle of the screen (another light engine, I'm told. Mits helped with the second light engine after I documented and re-doc'd past problems. They aren't responding to my recent message and reqjuest for a return call or email. This Wd-57831 is certainly NO DIAMOND!

Collapse -
Sitting on Hold with Mitsu....
by 7CsDad / June 18, 2011 4:33 AM PDT

$2500 for DLP model WD-C67
5 bulbs in 2 years 1 of which was under warranty (they go out about every 6.5 months)
now getting white lights on screen.. .currently have 23 of them

I chose mitsubishi DLP over a nice flat panel because i'd heard the flat panels 'only' had a life of about 3 years.... what a mistake that was.... this piece of crap is only 2 years old and in addition to the $2500 purchase price have spent another $900 or so on the 4 out of warranty bulbs... i'm into this thing $3400 !!!!

I want some consideration!!!!

Collapse -
Three spots so far...
by Jayne65 / August 19, 2011 4:45 AM PDT

Don't think I need to sit and wait. I know its going to get worse. Joined the FB group, and here. Just sick sick sick over the situation. Took me a very long time to be able to purchase the tv...WD57734 12/30/2007...and was totally convinced I was making the right decision. Social security doesn't leave much room for a new television...I really thought this would be the last one I would ever have to buy. Our television is really important to us. How many white spots could it concievable get? Like chickenpox....aurrrrghhhh!!

Collapse -
how many can there be?
by 7CsDad / August 19, 2011 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Three spots so far...

try.... 400-500 or so right now on mine... started back in mid-june.... its not really even watchable right now...

per Mitsubishi I just had their authorized repair guy come out to tell me it was the Light Engine and will cost nearly $1200.00 to fix. Next step is to fax that estimate to Mitsubishi (done today) and wait for them to tell me how much, if any, they're willing to contribute towards the repair....

total joke.

i can get a Sony 50" flat panel at my local costco for $1400 right now...

Collapse -
Enough Light Engines!
by cnet4me / August 23, 2011 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: how many can there be?

I feel your pain. With such a tight and competitive market, I had thought --
5 years ago and after so many DLP issues -- that Mitsubishi might (should) make an arrangement to either stock replacements for the lousy light engines or find another way to make good on so much customer (mis-placed?) loyalty. It would go along way to allow some of us to consider Mits again. After 23 years of talking-up Mits to others, I'm passing along a different message now.

Collapse -
To be clear....
by cnet4me / August 23, 2011 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Enough Light Engines!

I don't mean to suggest Mits should be footing the entire bill for replacing thousands of out-of-warranty light engines. Rather, they could be making replacement lamps (and authorized labor) available for significantly less than the $1,200 it is costing out here. No more posts from me -- just passing the word and sharing with others who might be considering LaserVue.

Collapse -
$325 for labor!!!!
by Jayne65 / September 26, 2011 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: To be clear....

I already paid jones repair 99$ to send Mitsubishi and estimate, which was basically free money for them because they just took my word for it. Now they want an exhorbitant amount to put the part in. Y'all help me tell them how they can't charge that much? Please...they are calling again tomorrow.

Collapse -
WD-Y577
by RayRap1 / October 13, 2011 7:13 AM PDT

I got this same 57 inch piece of crap. Got hundreds of white dots. Bought a new DLP on e-bay for $300.00. After putting it in, I now have the green light of death. It was built in Sept. of 2007. From what I read from all these forums, Mitsubishi TV is the worst piece of crap on the market.

Collapse -
WD Y-577
by RayRap1 / October 13, 2011 8:43 AM PDT

I had the same problem. It started with 3 white dots, then 10, then 20 etc. I lost count after 50. After two weeks, there were hundreds of white dots. They told me it would cost about $1000. to fix it. I found a site on ebay under "Light Engines" that said I could buy a kit for $300.
It was what is called a DLP. I put that in, Now I get the (GREEN LIGHT OF DEATH). My TV still doesn't work.

Collapse -
mitsubishi 73734.
by beecatchertx / October 23, 2011 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: WD Y-577

i have the 73734mits. got thousands of white dots all over the screen. contacted mitsubishi after calling they said they would review my case. well the called me back and said they would replace the bad part but i would have to pay the repair man. well thats $353.57. i have all ready put in three bulbs in the thing at $250.00 a pop. oh my tv is three years old. the repair man is suppose to be here tuesday(25th) of oct.-2011.

Collapse -
mit.73734
by beecatchertx / October 28, 2011 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: mitsubishi 73734.

well the tv repair men came out and fix my tv. they replaced the DLP chip. they said that mitsubishi dlp chips came from maylisha some where and they were all bad. that these new chips were from somewhere else. hope this chip will last for a few more years.

Collapse -
Defective DLP Tread
by BADdlp73 / October 31, 2011 3:41 AM PDT

Thank you for starting this. I actually bought a bunch of them and they exhibit the same proble. So i will refer to your thread to straighten it out.

dale washington

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove personal information. Dale, it's not a good idea to post personal information in a public forum, unless you want the whole world to know it. on 10/31/2011 at 12:14 PM PT

Collapse -
Factor Defect for WD 57, 65 and 73" TV's
by BADdlp73 / October 31, 2011 5:24 AM PDT

I am fed up with it and considering legal action here in California.

Dale Washington

Collapse -
WD-57733 Dot problems
by mitsuhtr / November 9, 2011 7:27 AM PST

Have had the Mitsubishi DLP piece of crap for about 3 yrs now & had to replace the lamp every 6 mos @ $300 + a pop. I should've seen the writing on the wall when first lamp went out after 4 mos. Luckily I watched how they replaced the lamp & did it myself afterwards. The last lamp replacement was about 3 mos ago and wasn't but a few days later that these dumb*** dots started to pop up and multiply. They are nice little white dots with a few black ones mixed in. I thought it might be a defective lamp but researched and found it to not be the case. After finding out what it could be and cost, I wish it was the bulb. In closing, I would like to thank Mitsubishi for putting out a piece of crap and having parts so high with the economy like it is. I'm afraid food & clothing is more important for my family than looking at Mitsubishi Connect the Dot DLP.

Collapse -
DLP 73733
by Icechest / January 2, 2012 12:51 PM PST

I just developed white spots on my DLP 73733 and am just finding out about this situation. I have had this TV for 3and a half years and just replaced the bulb last month. I have seen other people say this is when their problems began also. Not sure if bulb replacement could be the cause as most newer bulbs are much brighter than factory bulbs, but you never know. Regardless this morning I had 1 spot and now have 3 in one day.

Collapse -
DLP 73733
by Dean17513 / February 2, 2012 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: DLP 73733

I purchased the 73" about three years ago and had no problems until now after I purhased another 65" for my downstairs. The 65" worked for about two weeks and went out, I called the place where I bought it (which was buy.com) and they said I couldn't return the TV and had to call a service center to repair. The repairman came and said it would cost more than the unit was worth and would be best to return.... So I made so many calls to Mitsubishi and Buy.com and I am getting the run around. So I did a charge back on my credit card and haven't heard from them in over 8 months. The TV is just sitting In my spare bedroom(broken) Now back to my 73733, is now starting to have serveral white and black dots all over the screen. I have not called anyone yet but the problems I have had with the DLP Mitsubishi, even the new 65" are all not worth the money paid for. I paid over 2500.00 three years ago and would think it would last much longer are maybe a small price repair like a bulb but not a light engine.

Collapse -
Still have?
by Scarr25 / January 12, 2014 1:04 PM PST

Sorry about your problems. I bought a 65 in used for $375 and broke the screens before I turned it on. Don't ask. Wondering if you have yours if you'd sell for parts. Thanks, Steve

Collapse -
white spots galore
by brendeleec / February 11, 2012 12:46 AM PST

good luck. about 4 months ago i had to replace my bulb for the second time in three years and i now have about 25 spots and each day it gets worse. I agree with everyone else. Mitsubishi needs to step up and take responsibility for their faulty televisions. I bought mine through aarons so paid twice the amount it is worth. All i want is a new 57 inch television of equal value to regular cost of this television. This is the family television and my 4 year old grandsons fav place to watch cartoons.Come on mitsubishi step up and take responsibility.if you want to keep loyal customers because its only going to get worse for you in the long run as it is for us people that has to watch our tv's through the dots.

Collapse -
About 300 to 500 dots now....
by jinut27 / January 16, 2012 11:15 AM PST

Dear Kevindb85,
I would greatly appreciate more info on a class-action concerning the mitsu.televisions.I'm having the same problem as my tv screen is now covered from top to bottom with white dots.I've been to numerous forums and this seems to be a nationwide problem.I know the thousands of owners,like myself,would be happy to participate in a class-action lawsuit.

Collapse -
Mitsubishi will help, March 2012
by r12470 / March 30, 2012 1:19 AM PDT

My 2007 Mitsubishi DLP TV also failed for the "White Dots". Called the 1-800-332-2119 and spoke to them. Mitsubishi agreed to Contact a Local TV repair Shop to replace the Texas Instruments Made DLP Mirror Chip Device.
My Cost would be 200 Bucks, No, 1st Service Call was Needed to determine the defect.

Within a week the TV shop called me to Install the replacement Part. A few days later the TV tech, came and installed the new DLP device. Turns out the NEW factory Part was defective also, No white dots, But shadows in the upper left Corner of the Screen. I recalled Mitsubishi and they are sending a Second replace Part. Only been A couple of days, New Part not here yet. To their Credit, Mitsubishi has Called Me Twice to inform me they are working the Issue and I should get my repair completed within 7 working days. So Far I have Paid NOTHING to Anyone for the Repair. My 200 bucks is still in my pocket. I will update this thread, When the repair is completed.

Collapse -
Mitsubishi will help
by pammyz01 / May 13, 2012 4:10 AM PDT

Have you gotten the replacement part? How much were you out of pocket? I also have a 2007 WD-65733 that has the white dots many of them. Started in November 2011.
I have sent an email to them. I will also call the number you provided to see if that gets me anywhere.

Collapse -
Mitsubishi white dots thread Mitsubishi will help
by BADdlp73 / May 13, 2012 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Mitsubishi will help

I bought 20 of these, kept some and gifted the rest. It was very frustrating until I went to the mitsubishi warehouse in irvine, California. The supervisor gave me 11 chips which we were able to go install in the sets,( carefully with gloves and clean fussiness). So you can email me washington.dale@gmail.com

Collapse -
What happened?
by cnet4me / August 27, 2012 9:07 AM PDT

How did your experience turn out?
Did Mitsubishi make good on getting you a good chip?
Did your cost stay at $200?
How's that TV look now?
If you know, whose chip did they send? Another Texas Instruments?

Collapse -
mitsubishi dlp
by vinsong / May 16, 2012 11:37 PM PDT

Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to join the kits white dot club. It started a couple of weeks ago with two dots, I now have what looks like a major constellation with more "stars" visible daily. I have also had to replace the lamp, and experience the flashing green light of death every so often.

Collapse -
SPOTS
by MEYJR / June 8, 2012 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: mitsubishi dlp

I have 2 of these DLP's. The older is a 65" that doesn't have spots yet. However it is not used very often. The 60" that is used daily now has spots. I just replaced the bulb a few days before the spots starting showing. Is that just a coincident?

A co-worker had this problem a month ago and they sent him a chip at no cost and let him replace it himself if he signed a waiver. I was just told they do not do that anymore. Has anyone else had any luck getting a chip sent to them and not paying the $200 service fee?

Collapse -
Spots
by NancyJ23 / August 20, 2012 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: SPOTS

No, Mitsubishi will no longer send a new chip to the TV owner. It has to be delivered and installed by a ceetified tech.
Apparently the TV can be totally ruined if the chip is not installed correctly, unlike the lamps which are easy to remove and replace by TV owners.

Collapse -
Chip not available to me
by sugarblossoms / April 15, 2014 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: SPOTS

They refuse to send me a chip and let me do it myself and the repair bill didn't stay the same but I yelled louder and reached an agreement we will see how it works out

Collapse -
Should be a recall on Mitsubishi for white dots!!
by Morganboys / July 19, 2012 12:07 AM PDT

I also am a white dot victim!! I have a Mitsubishi WD-Y657 that started with three white dots last week and now has about 15. I can't believe after spending so much on a TV that there has not been a recall! I have not called Mitsubishi yet. I plan on doing that this week. Hopefully they will take care of this.

Collapse -
White Spots on a Mits. WD65734 DLP 65"
by NancyJ23 / August 20, 2012 3:31 AM PDT

Our TV just started the other day with the white spots. We're up to 21 now. Mitsubisihi is going to supply the new chip at no cost and a local Mitsubishi certified tech will install it for $200.00 labor. All I had to do was contact Mit. customer service by phone, give them the Model and Serial #'s and place/date of purchase and they took care of the rest. We should have the TV fixed this week. We just changed the lamp for the first time about a month ago. The TV is 4 months shy of 5 years old and is used a lot. Not sure if the lamp going out has anything to do with the white spots or if this is just a coincidence. We're not all that happy about having to pay anything at all, but $200.00 plus tax is better than the $600.00+ I've read about on other sites or having to buy a new TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.