Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

The connection has timed out

by mogy55 / February 22, 2008 8:54 PM PST

Hi,
As of a couple of days ago when i try and connect to certain websites e.g. www.youtube.com everytime i try and load the page it will load for a while then say
"The connection has timed out"
it isn't the website thats down because I asked a friend if he could get on and he could, I have read through other threads and couldn't find anything to help.
We have a Netgear router I can't remeber what type but i'll find out if you need it, but also around the same time the websites stoped working our wireless stoped working, you can connect if you cennect with an ethernet cable though.
Any help would be very very helpfull and if you need any more information just ask

Thanks, Chris

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The connection has timed out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The connection has timed out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As you read the threads..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 10:43 PM PST

Did you notice that to get help most if not all of them had to supply some details. Not just a paragraph about "it does work."

Please consider the forum members that want to help and start your post with the details so they don't have to ask.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok..
by mogy55 / February 23, 2008 2:07 AM PST

We have AOL broadband (not sure what speed) and a Netgear DG834G router, I am on windows xp sp2 and use firefox v2.0.0.12.

Collapse -
question about "connection timed out"
by VPMint / February 23, 2008 4:23 PM PST

Hello Chris
- you will get the message "connection (or page) timed out either when you are on line and the site that you are trying to access is not available -or- when you cannot access the internet from your computer. It sound like you have a wifi connection and not a particular website problem
- If your wireless access is not working, then you will get the message for all sites that you try to access.
- First question, can you access any sites at all. Try www.google.com and see if you get the timed out message
- If you are able to connect to google, but not some sites, I do not have an easy answer.
- If however you are not able to connect to google through the wireless connection, then you have a wireless problem.
- I recommend unplugging the wireless router, wait 15 seconds and replug it in and also turn off and then back on the computer to see if a reset gets the wireless back. a more complete reset can be had by using a pen or bent paper clip to hold in the reset button on the wifi router for 15 seconds and then boot the computer and see if access is restored.
- Since you are able to access the net through a cable, but not wireless, it sure seems like a wireless access issue.
- If you are running Vista, there are known issues where Vista cannot work with both wireless and cable connection simultaneously.

Collapse -
Try
by mogy55 / February 23, 2008 8:10 PM PST

Well the "connection has timed out" happens when it is connected through a cable but only on some sites, but the wireless wont work at all it won't show that its there and you cant even connect to it.
I'll try reseting my computer and router and reseting it to factory default and if that doesnt work i have a spare unused router that i can try.

Collapse -
ok..
by mogy55 / February 23, 2008 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: Try

So I have tried reseting the router and computer and that didn't work so I have tried my other router and tried reseting it to factory default and it's fixed the wireless problem but I still get "the connection has timed out" or "Server not found (this one on odd occasions)" I get those messages on both wireless and wired, mac and pc, and its always the same websites but I have found that if I use a web proxy I can connect to the websites that give me the errors

Collapse -
ok...
by zoso59brst / June 26, 2009 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: ok..

I am having the same problem.. found the proxy work-around as well, changed IPs 3 times.. this is driving me nuts.

Collapse -
connection problems
by duckydks / March 5, 2010 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: ok...

We've had the same types of problems. Running Windows XP, either Firefox 3.5 or IE7, Comcast, wired router, can connect to other sites. For us, the problem appears to be which antivirus software we're running. Had problems with AVG free and Norton360. MacAfee seems to connect more.

Collapse -
(NT) BROADBAND CONNECTION
by emeynig / March 26, 2010 12:49 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.