Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

The Best VNC software around

by r_honey / December 1, 2008 10:13 PM PST

I was looking for a Platform independent Remote Connection software. Googling threw up VNC on top of the list. So, is VNC the best avaiable option for this purpose??

Also, there are myriads of VNC variations available (RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC, and what not). Which one of these is the best option available around??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Best VNC software around
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Best VNC software around
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2008 10:42 PM PST

Why criteria makes one better than the other for you?

I read your post twice and couldn't find how you would rank these.

Collapse -
by r_honey / December 2, 2008 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Need a little more.

My criteria is basically User-Friendliness in configuration, and performance.

Collapse -
Performance (speed?) is almost identical.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2008 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Criteria

None seem friendly to non-network savvy folk. Let's give all you listed a failing grade.

However these are fairly technical items. I won't suggest any to users that are not network proficient. Example, they know what a NETMASK entry is, and how DNS works.

Collapse -
Comparative Study
by r_honey / December 2, 2008 12:37 PM PST

So, what's basically the difference between them?? Is a comparative study available anywhere on the web??

Collapse -
This is something you could do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2008 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: Comparative Study

Not to discourage you but each software has a homepage that you could read and see what you like about each. Since all do about the same thing all that varies is laid out on the three web sites.

Why not do your own study?

Collapse -
My Own Study
by r_honey / December 3, 2008 6:11 PM PST

Sure, I have done my own study.

But these are the exact reasons why forums are there for!! Every vendor makes claims about its products superiority over others.

I thought someone here might have had experience with these VNCs to provide an independent analysis of which one is the better one.

Collapse -
Let me use this word. Fungible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2008 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: My Own Study

These product for my use and what they do are fungible. That word should suffice why you didn't find a study.

All fail for your need of ease of use. All of them however do function very well but require a modicum of network setup skill, understanding of what ports are, the difference of UDP, TCP and such. I just connected the dots when I looked at your other discussion about the proxy issue.
When I did that, it's clear to me that you need something much better than any VNC made today.

Collapse -
Scramble for Dictionary
by r_honey / December 4, 2008 1:20 PM PST

I had to scramble for my dictionary when I saw your use of word: Fungible.
Initially, it sounded like derogatory...

Anyways, It was good you looked at my other thread, and this one as they are surely related. As a developer, I am pretty much at ease with ports, TCP/IP and all, just that I have not used them for a Remote Connection type of thing outside Windows RA/RDC.

Looks like I need to get my hands dirty. Whenever I do, I will try to find a reproducible series of steps that other can use to accomplish what I am trying. And I will document them here!!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.