TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

The Best TV Technology....(crt, plasma, microdisplay, LCD.)

by techfiend / February 19, 2006 6:46 PM PST

This is for the forum to discuss/decide/debate

personally I own a microdisplay in my opinion the 2nd best technology. Only because Ive seen some $4K plus plasmas which are "on the next level"

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Best TV Technology....(crt, plasma, microdisplay, LCD.)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Best TV Technology....(crt, plasma, microdisplay, LCD.)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's Become Pretty Clear Plasma Is The Only Way To Go....
by Psych Doc / February 19, 2006 9:26 PM PST

... Only real down side is the price, of course, and you really can't get plasma in sizes above 50" or at most 55".

All the foolishness about burn in and half life is just that...foolishness.

Nothing offers the viewing angle naturalness, the sense of depth and three dimensionality and response time that never, ever blurs moving images.

Really no contest here.

If you need a 65" screen, then and only then might I consider one of the microdisplays.

Collapse -
PRICE+ HUGE SCREEN SIZE D.L.P. ONLY
by stewart norrie / February 20, 2006 3:36 AM PST

I agree plasma is the best, BUT $4300 72" screen beautiful picture l.c.d. rules

Collapse -
Lots Of 60" Plasmas And Larger
by RoadRunner6 / February 20, 2006 5:01 AM PST

I just did a quick check at PlasmaPlanet.Com and found that they listed 12 plasmas that were 60" or larger, including an 84" plasma from NEC.

Panasonic just recently announced their prototype of a 103" plasma.

RR6

Collapse -
I should have added "at a reasonable price point"....
by Psych Doc / February 20, 2006 6:13 AM PST

...Those monster plasma also have monster prices.

Collapse -
Yeah But
by RoadRunner6 / February 20, 2006 7:41 AM PST

.....some of the 60 and 61 inch plasmas run about $6500-$7000 discounted online. That is certainly cheaper than you can buy a new KIA for and probably will last a lot longer!

RR6

Collapse -
The TV that fits is the best TV
by techfiend / February 20, 2006 4:02 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah But

First let me say RR6, always glad to get your input and wit.

Now the TVs..
every TV has problems, burn in has been "dealt" with in high end models but still plagues "white box" plasmas, and lower end plasmas.
microdisplays are smaller than CRT's but they are still to big for some smaller homes
CRT's may be at the pinnacle of their picture but they just seem ancient, and are huge
LCD, in all honesty the non microdisplay LCD will probably be the first TV to leave the race, to expensive to get big, and being beat to the punch by plasma in its size

Collapse -
JUST A QUESTION..... WHAT OF KIND/MODEL HDTV DO........
by Riverledge / February 22, 2006 9:36 AM PST

YOU OWN??? Well, what do consider the second best technology? LCoS? Plasma?

Collapse -
Mitsubishi WD52527
by techfiend / February 23, 2006 3:14 PM PST

A mitsubishi microdisplay, i discussed it a little in the original post. Personally I love it. Mitsubishi is the least repaired TV brand. But onto the picture...awesome. It really has to be seen to really enjoy it. 9's and 10's from the other CNET owners. Even I can admit that a high-end plasma "about 5K or more" will pretty much beat any other technology. But my TV puts up a good fight to even the best pictures.

Collapse -
What kind of set/model/technology are you.....
by Riverledge / February 22, 2006 9:45 AM PST

are you talking about????

Collapse -
Try taking it for a ride
by damcclure60 / February 22, 2006 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: Yeah But

What kind of comparison is there between a tv and a car ? I bet you cant watch sex and the city in that Kia either but on the same note try taking the tv for a ride.

Collapse -
OK Smarty, Read This
by RoadRunner6 / February 23, 2006 5:43 PM PST

You've got to read this thread in detail. Just a couple posts above is a reference about Mitsubishi. They make both cars and TV's. So there!

Besides, I had made a statement above that there were many large plasmas. He came back and said that they all had monster prices. I didn't want to say you're wrong because I don't consider $6500-$7000 a monster price. So I tried to soft peddle it to him with my brilliant Kia/plasma analogy.

I have a great imagination and I actually can visualize watching sex and also looking at the city while in a Kia, but you wouldn't catch me dead in a Kia (my wife is Japanese and we have two Honda's, hai). Futhermore (sic), don't you think that is a little kinky and more appropriate for the lecher's forum?

RR6 HappyHappyHappy

Collapse -
DONT FORGET ABOUT "SED"
by BONSPEED / February 20, 2006 5:12 PM PST

always something new and more expensive down the road. if you take "cost" out of the mix, plasmas are the perfered method of addiction. with no lamps to change, sleek size, greater viewing angle, and general picture quality makes them hard to dislike. unfortunately, cost is a large issue and until we're all driving a ferrari, our respective budgets will decide what's best.p.s. rr6i got my panasonic s97 today and initial impressions are good. i'll post more details in a couple of days.

Collapse -
JVC DiLA too...
by sirroundsound / February 21, 2006 9:24 AM PST

I just finished installing the 70" JVC DiLA set. As expected, with just a cable feed it looked so so. Once I put the HD Cable box, and the Oppo dvd player on, Now we are talking... great picture, plus it has a Theatre Pro setting which has been pre calibrated to 6500K.
I have added pictures to my blog site (the jobs not complete yet, but I had to get a few shots in)
http://spaces.msn.com/members/sirroundsound

As for the topic, Plasma is definatly the way to go for 42 - 60" sets, after that they are still a little pricy, even for my clients.

Collapse -
Could plasma be replaced??
by techfiend / February 21, 2006 3:12 PM PST
In reply to: JVC DiLA too...

Granted it has a good following but their is also liquid crystal on silicone. A technology with a lot of promise but not quite stable enough to be mass produced the way plasma has. Basically will we be talking about plasmas in 10 years

Collapse -
LED...
by sirroundsound / February 21, 2006 8:49 PM PST

Hard to predict the future in this crazy business, even things like amplification and speakers are going digital.
One other technology that is used in very large (and expensive) displays, LED. It is not unthinkable that we will soon see LED TV's made and priced for consumer use. Very flexable, long lasting tech.

Collapse -
Nice can of worms you opened,,OK it was open allready.
by jcrobso / February 22, 2006 12:36 AM PST

We had a posting like this about a year ago before the LCoS sets showed up and changed the playing field.
Every technology has it's pro and cons. Everything you do costs you something!
The best is allwise a moving target, in HDTVs a fast moving target at that.
CRT-direct view has the best picture. Downside, big and heavy, limited to 36". Upside, will do 1080i native, lasts a very long time, low cost compaired to everything else!!!!!
CRT-RP great picture large sceen sizes up to 70", resonable cost will do 1080i native, last a long time. Downside big and bulky. Considered dinosaurs, are dissapering.
Plasma, Great pictue, except in larger sizes limited to 720p, newer sets are very burn proof, small foot print, can be hung on walls.
LCD direct view, very good picture, light, small foot print, many sizes upto 30". Down side, slow responce times, bad pixels, back lamps may have to replaced, no info on cost.

Microdisplaies RP, all have lamp that needs to be replaced, $250~350(ouch), lamp last 2000~4000 hours.

LCD good picture, some have slow responce times, small foot print, not to heavy. In larger screen sizes pixels can be seen.
DLP, very good picture, fast responce times, small foot print. Some have rainbow effect due to the color wheel.
The first DLP I saw was a pro-3 chip projector. I have been disaponinted with consumer units, because of the color wheel.
LSoS, execelent picture, rivials the best highend plasmas, and CRT-RP, the pitcure remindes me of a 3 chip pro DLP projector. The fact that the LCoS use 3 chips gives them the edge in picture quality.

There are some new technologies on the horizon, a year from now the playing field may be quite different.

If money were no object I would probly get big plasma.
Because they don't make 50" direct view CRTs.

But money is an object.
Now what did I get??? A CRT-RP ( yes I love CRTs) at work I could have LCD monitor for my PC, but I'm using a CRT.
A couple of months ago Psych Doc was looking for HDTV for the bedroom, I did this also this past weekend,
Replaced the 15 year old 20" CRT, my wife didn't want one to big ( still hasn't gotten use to the 47" one in the living room) and didn't want to spend a lot of money,,, What to do??? We got a Phillips 26" 16x9 HD CRT, does 1080i native, the SD looks very good, the strech modes are good. I have bought 2 CRT HDTVs in 3 months and spent $1600. I still have money left for the new HT reciver and DVD player. When I set out on this quest in May of 2005 I put a $2500 cap on my purches.
And I still have money for beer. John

Collapse -
Yeah John, But What About Your
by RoadRunner6 / February 22, 2006 8:26 AM PST

.....BACK!!!

I still have two 27" Sony's CRT's and every time I move them from one spot to another in my garage I'm flat on my back on my new Nova Foam bed from Costco for a day or two! Happy

RR6

Collapse -
Well I know what you mean!!
by jcrobso / February 23, 2006 12:03 AM PST

I do have a realy good Chriopractor and 3 young ( in thier 30's) son-in-laws. One of them helped me move the 32" in 14 years ago.
How is the bed???? My wife and I were looking at it. John

Collapse -
Costco Nova Foam
by RoadRunner6 / February 23, 2006 5:58 PM PST

John, I first bought the Nova Foam pillow 3 years ago when I had a pinched nerve in my neck. Wow! What a miracle worker. I have had the same pillow now for 3 years, it's fabulous.

My wife has had lower back problems for the past 4 years since we bought a new bed from Costco (medium firm...big mistake). We didn't connect the bed to her back problems for a long time. About six months ago we bought the Nova Foam matress topper at Costco. It was an improvement but kept sliding around.

We took it back and bought the Nova Foam bed. The back problems are all gone. It is very firm and still super comfortable. You have to have a flat surface so we kept the old box spring to place it on.

It is covered with two separate covers and seems to be excellent quality. About 1/4 the price of the expensive brand. It is very warm so you can sleep with fewer blankets and covers.

Highly Recommended. We give it two thumbs way up!

RR6 Happy

Collapse -
Tube for now
by kirkb150 / February 26, 2006 8:59 PM PST

For me, NO television veiwing experience is worth the prices of these new technologies. Even though I'd like to have a monster screen, I dont NEED one. I'm just not willing to pay these prices.

When my current tube TV finally gives out (and I won't buy a new TV while my old one is still working), I'll look at the technology and buy what is best (technology, size, image quality, etc.) for the money. Unless the tube technology starts getting more expensive, the way it appears now, it will be another tube TV.

I understand that I'm in the minority...

Collapse -
Tube for now
by jcrobso / February 27, 2006 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Tube for now

Well I agree, I now have two tube HDTVs, one is 47" CRT-RP does 1080i and a 26" directview which displaies at 1080p.
The BIG downside is that the CRTs are bening phased out!!! Panasonic no longer makes them, the other copanies are also reducing production or dropping them from thier product lines. Many reasons, most of them have to with profit. John

Collapse -
It will never give out
by techfiend / February 27, 2006 2:52 PM PST
In reply to: Tube for now

Do you remeber those big heavy wooden tube TV's from the early 80's and late 70's. They sat in the living room and took 2 to 3 people to move. Those are still around so if you are waiting for your tube to go out, you may never get to put your hands on this technology. However I do respect the "if its not broke why fix it" approach. But if that were the case we would all have 8 tracks, and model'T's.

Collapse -
It will never give out,,,, well some day it may ,,,
by jcrobso / February 28, 2006 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: It will never give out

Don't hold your breath... I was sad for a few weeks when my 32" CRT started to act up, I had it for 14+ years, great analog picture, but slowly keept getting worse. After resoving myself to replacing it( some tears are approate here), and convincing my wife that it was time. I started to enjoy the quest for a new HD set. Spent a lot of time getting up to speed on the "new tech" sets ups and downs. Ended up getting a CRT-RP set. I decided to stay back from the bleeding edge of techonolgy. John

Collapse -
Went with the microdisplay myself
by techfiend / March 1, 2006 4:45 AM PST

Great Technology, LCD rear projection from Mitsu.Was an Easy decision. The picture was amazing
But back to the point 14 years is a pretty good run. I think his is a vacume tube based set so you could probablly 2x that 14 years.

Collapse -
Late 70's tv thrown out still working.
by gmsmith84 / September 22, 2007 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: It will never give out

I just helped my mother buy a new tv and throw out the one i grew up with. RCA wood all around tv, The top still was in decent shape. 30 years. The picture still worked decent for its time. She bought it 3 months after i was born.

wonder if the hitachi plasma i have now will last 30 years. I seriously doubt it. A. Because i couldnt hold off of the new technology, B. Things are not made like they used to be.

New factorys are made so machines put these things together fast. maybe there is a small percentage of the human assembly factor.

Smaller components but better quality, bigger screens.

Lots of other products need to catch up to some of these new tv's specs. From the studios shooting the films to the Cable Companys supplying the line. we havent seen the best yet.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.