Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Audio & Video Software

Question

the best software to rip records to mp3

by ljheat10 / February 2, 2012 2:49 AM PST

what will be the best (free and paid) program to use with an usb turntable to rip records into mp3. I've used a few before but they are not as automated as I would like. I prefer an automated process because it would be for my dad who isnt as technically inclined as me.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the best software to rip records to mp3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the best software to rip records to mp3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
None. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2012 2:56 AM PST

While this has been discussed before I think you didn't find prior discussions. Let's go over the issues why it is far from automated.

1. No method to label the mp3.
2. No standard usb turntables.
3. No standard to determine if that's a new track or not.

This is why I find it best to use the capture software that came with the USB turntable and develop a process to get to the final goal.

Once you get your process down, it gets easier each time you repeat it.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Have you tried
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / February 2, 2012 9:05 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
thanks
by ljheat10 / February 4, 2012 12:34 AM PST

i figured that there was a discussion before but i havent gotten around to look for it, and thanks for the info, i kinda thought there wasnt an automated way to do it being that there are no tags to separate the songs, etc. but ill try VinylStudio

Collapse -
Answer
Rip records to mp3
by dxjanis / February 10, 2012 10:26 AM PST

I use Audacity and it works quite well. I tried something-or-another that came with the turntable but it wasn't nearly as user friendly as Audacity; and it's free.

Collapse -
Ripping with Audacity
by thinkermonkey / February 10, 2012 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: Rip records to mp3

I agree, Audacity is the way to go. Since my turntable is a moving coil and not a USB type I have to run the output into a preamp and boost it to line level. I record it with Audacity and save the entire side as a wave file. I use the noise reduction filter in audacity and then clip each track into separate MP3 files. I like to do all my work on a wav file since this has the most information. Once you save a file as an MP# you start to lose information.

Collapse -
Use Audacity
by sea.bass / February 10, 2012 6:15 PM PST
In reply to: Ripping with Audacity

This is what I do, too, so am pleased to find that I am in good company.

It has to be said, however, that this solution may give good quality but is far from automatic.

Audacity is great.

Collapse -
Answer
Another for Audacity
by Zouch / February 10, 2012 9:55 PM PST

Agree with all the other Audacity fans, it's a great tool. I used it to transfer around 50 vinyls before consigning them to an overseas shipping company.

If you want to encode the results as MP3, you'll need the Lame encoder as well - MP3 is a proprietary format and so isn't included in Audacity by default. Lame is free too, by the way.

Audacity has the ability to detect track changes by looking for silence gaps but I found too many records with silence gaps within the tracks long enough to trigger the track switch! So I just record the entire side as a single file and break up the individual songs manually.

You will pick up all the "pops" and "clicks" from the original records and again, Audacity has a tool for clearing them automatically. But with a little practice, it's very easy, if more time consuming, to manually cut out the "pop" from the audio track (use zoom in to get a more precise waveform).

Do make sure you fill in the metadata when prompted by the export process exactly as the record sleeve, then, when you play your results with most of the media players, they will be able to find the right track detail from the Internet.

It's not the most user friendly program I've ever used but the learning curve it well worthwhile and you will learn a little about audio recordings along the way.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Re single songs to single mp3s
by sea.bass / February 10, 2012 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Another for Audacity

"So I just record the entire side as a single file and break up the individual songs manually."

And then? (I have found the best way to record the tracks as individual files is to select, export as mp3, and cut. But I often managed to trip up. It's a slow process, too.)

Collapse -
One Side, Then Cut into Tracks, then Export Selection
by Flatworm / February 11, 2012 1:54 AM PST

With Audicity I do it in the other order: Record entire side, select individual tracks, then export selection as MP3.

I like to record an entire side first, cut off the preliminary blank part created by starting the recording before lowering the needle onto the platter, and then use the little numeric counters at the bottom of the Audacity window with the published song length data on the album cover (or hub label) to select each track, and then use "Export Selection" to create the MP3 of the track.

Then I delete the selection from the original recording and repeat until all the songs are individual MP3 tracks. It goes very quickly.

Word to the wise: Begin the Windows filename of the track with the track number padded to two digits.

Collapse -
One Side, Then Cut into Tracks, then Export Selection
by sea.bass / February 11, 2012 3:22 AM PST

"(I) then use "Export Selection" to create the MP3 of the track.Then
I delete the selection from the original recording and repeat until all
the songs are individual MP3 tracks. It goes very quickly."

Thank you! What I wrote was ambiguous, 'cos what you do is exactly what I do. But I don't find it goes very quickly!

Collapse -
Answer
audacity
by ljheat10 / February 11, 2012 1:46 AM PST

thanks for all the help, i've used audacity for other applications and didnt really think about it this way, i'll definately give it a try, mtl i'm going to have to do the work for him but thats where the fun is

Collapse -
Answer
Audacity
by Flatworm / February 11, 2012 1:46 AM PST

While it requires a manual entry of the ID3 data, the freeware Audacity is the most versatile and easiest to use software I know of to rip vinyl to any digital music format, free or paid. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it, you can even manually remove some of the problems that show up on well-played vinyl, like severe clicks and pops, without materially affecting the fidelity of the rest of the recording.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.