Computer Help forum

Question

The best registery software preferably free or best price

by jeffreymeade / March 4, 2013 7:36 AM PST

I am using MacAfee, a malware program and a pc cleaner. But continue to have issues with speed and all of my programs running slow and locking up. I am pretty sure it is a registery problem and the programs that try to run every time I login.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The best registery software preferably free or best price
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The best registery software preferably free or best price
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'll Suggest NONE
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 9:30 AM PST

Since most registry cleaners/optimizers tend to cause more troubles than they help, (just take a look at the problems members of these forums have experienced), UNTIL you can personally determine that all of the items identified by the registry cleaner to be "bad", so you can verify the correct things are being removed, then I'll suggest not using such.. I've also done a few tests of my own and seen NO performance improvement by using them.. I also find it interesting that many find a problem entry, say they've removed it, then find it again, and again.. In addition, since I've yet to find a registry cleaner review site which is unbiased, and can give ratings on the best vs the worst, I've decided not to use ANY of them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) yes this has been my experience too
by jeffreymeade / March 5, 2013 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: I'll Suggest NONE
Collapse -
Answer
HHD
by pyrrhus55 / March 4, 2013 1:25 PM PST

"all of my programs running slow and locking up."
Have you run CHKDSK /F??, or Spinrite , if you have it?? HHD problems can do as you described.

Have you updated your McAfee & Malware remover ( I like SuperAntiSpyware) and ran them in safe mode (F8)???

You can run memtest v420 to check your ram. However, I doubt that is the problem at hand.

CCleaner is all I generally use. I generally try to avoid radically messing with the registry.

Always make a restore point before doing anything to your pc .

Collapse -
Answer
Since the rest have ...

explained that unless YOU know exactly what you are doing registry cleaners tend to end up causing more problems than they cure I will address this portion of your post - "and the programs that try to run every time I login"

If you go to this site http://www.blackviper.com/ and scroll down to the Popular Content Windows Services and choose YOUR specific OS Version you can take advantage of safely disabling specific services that you can safely do without. Since every installation is slightly different, be sure to read about each service to see exactly what it does. The SAFE configuration is safe for all and the TWEAKED configuration is good for most everybody while the BAREBONES configuration might need a bit more attention.

If you can pay attention to detail and follow instructions on the site you should have no problems but if you are the impatient kind who glance at something and assume you know what is what you may have interesting times ahead.

Collapse -
Answer
Instead of a registry cleaner
by glb613 / March 4, 2013 7:52 PM PST

try clearing out the unnecessary programs in the startup group. I like CCleaner for this job because it lists the programs with their common name making it easier. Download, install then open CCleaner. On the left side select tools then startup. Disable everything but your security software and touchpad if using a notebook computer. Reboot and see how it runs. I've seen computers with 25-30 programs running in the background draining resources. You can also use this program to clear out other files you no longer need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.