Mac Applications forum

General discussion

the best recording software cubase or protools

by CURCHBOY / January 14, 2006 4:10 PM PST

im not sure need help wich is better protools or cubase

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the best recording software cubase or protools
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the best recording software cubase or protools
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What will you be recording?
by Empathy / January 25, 2006 4:43 AM PST

Are you recording a live band? What kind of host (computer) system do you have? Do you already have an audio interface? You need to provide a lot more info in order to get an informed answer to your question. Both apps do different things well. I use DP, personally, and love it.

Collapse -
Cubase
by enTRAP / February 2, 2006 8:13 PM PST

Cubase is better because, simply ProTools is crock. ProTools hardware is nice, but very expensive, but the software is quite lame. It's neither user friendly nor innovative anymore, yet the integration with it's hardware is very tight. Cubase is actually fun to use and seems to be more functional in this age of music production technology advances and more compatible with another company's products. ProTools is only going to work well with hardware it comes bundled with, and Cubase works fantastico with almost everything including ProTools hardware.

"Pro's" aren't necessarily the wisest people making music digitally these days. They sure like to get ripped off though.

Collapse -
Cubase
by juddrizzo / October 18, 2006 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Cubase

I chose Nuendo/Cubase SX over Pro Tools LE for a couple of reasons.

My goal: A good control surface with great pre-amps to provide a more convenient reccording/mixing platform. Not to be locked in to particular hardware or software choices. (If I switch software preference later, I don't want it to generate a hardware problem.) Easy to use, great sounding software with as many built-in features as possible.

I'm PC based so to me the choice was between Pro Tools LE and Cubase. Here's what I found.

- Cost. Digidesign locks you into their expensive hardware/software.
- I've, actually, had a few engineer/audiophiles tell me they think Pro Tools doesn't sound good. (Not sure I believe that.)
- I think my Tascam FW-1884 board and Nuendo/Cubase SX or LE sound Great. (I have no idea whether it sounds better than Pro Tools LE. With good engineering, I doubt it.)
- Nuendo/Cubase's Virtual Instruments (Record something as MIDI info w/a guitar syth (or other), create your Own instrument sounds, and change the sound completely, even years later, if you like. Wow!)
- Tascam FW-1884 firewire board had a lot more ins and outs and seemed better built than the Digi 002 Factory board.
- 32 bit w/floating point ... recording with Nuendo/Cubase is supposed to, actually, sound better than Pro Tools.
- The pre-amps in the FW-1884 must be good too. (My recordings sound good.)
- All I know is, I'm making simple recordings with a Sure 58, Amp, FW-1884, Nuendo/Cubase, maxing my volume to disk and it sounds Great. I have plenty of volume, signal:noise etc.

Cost:
Tascam FW-1884 board <$1100.
Try-before-you-buy version of Nuendo. $0
Total <$1100

Even if I had bought Cubase SX (The Full "high end" version) I think it's $800. My total would have been $1900. Compared to the Digi 002 Factory at over $2100 w/Pro Tools LE (not equiv. to Cubase SX, and a lesser board!

Yes, it sucks that so many people are following Pro Tools like lemmings and it seems like Digidesign is taking full advantage. I may have to use Pro Tools one day which means $400 in lesser software and now I understand a $500 translator?!?!?! If that's the case, I'll be pissed. I'd like to continue to use my Tascam board.

When I buy software, I'll have to weigh all this again. Arrrg.

Collapse -
Try Record
by j_paul / September 13, 2010 7:38 PM PDT

Well, Pro tools is what is used in most studios but is very hard to use...

There's a new software out there that is target towards musicians that you may want to look into.. Propellerheads Record.

With Reason being used by so many professional musicians both Live and in the studio, there's a huge base of people already using it and producing some great stuff with it.

It doesn't allow third party plug ins but it really doesn't need them.

http://www.propellerheads.se

Hope that helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.