Laptops forum

General discussion

The BEST gaming laptop

by GraversParadise / February 26, 2008 8:45 AM PST

I want to know that the best one you think is.

It has to use XP.

if you can please include link.

Sorry if my spelling is bad.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The BEST gaming laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The BEST gaming laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whatever is the best today
by orlbuckeye / February 26, 2008 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: The BEST gaming laptop

will be second best tomorrow. Some have the desktop processors and will get real hot. The Alienware's and Sager specialize in gaming machines. Dell has their XPS. I best suggestion for you is to research it because the gaming pc's usually go from 2500 to 3000 for the best ones.

Collapse -
Right, these get too hot.
by Dango517 / February 29, 2008 12:37 PM PST
Collapse -
i understand your view
by GraversParadise / March 3, 2008 11:25 AM PST

because i will be moving in to a RV and i do need the portability more but i still want to game.

Collapse -
Alienware Area 51 could be a good choice
by alvaro p. / February 29, 2008 1:52 PM PST
Collapse -
Aleinware Area 51 m15x
by monchaton / September 4, 2008 8:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Best Gaming Laptop?
by Aoman / February 29, 2008 7:41 PM PST

The best gaming laptop you can buy is a Desktop with as much memory and processor speed as you can afford. No less than 1GB in either, more if you have the pockets for it.

If you need the portability, the same rules apply to the laptop... but I'm telling you, buddy, for the difference in the cost of a laptop, you can buy one hellova large cartload of speed in a desktop.

A desktop also affords you a cheaper and simpler upgrade of your video and audio cards, too, when you will eventually go into some more demanding games and sims.

Don't try to cheap out on speed!

Collapse -
Dell XPS M1730
by gls5000 / February 29, 2008 9:01 PM PST

As far as I know, it's the Dell XPS M1730 or RockDirect Xtreme SL8.

Although the above posters are right about how much more you can get for a desktop of the same price; they don't seem to have answered your question either, but some of us have reasons for wanting a gaming laptop and I'm assuming you do too.

I'm moving to South America next year and will be travelling around a lot; I also love playing the latest games and generally having a powerhouse system that doesn't slow down when I'm working on several applications. The only answer for me is to buy a gaming laptop and use it as a "desktop replacement" when I'm not travelling.

At the time of writing, you should be looking for laptops with dual NVidia 8800 graphics cards. I don't think Alienware has that yet. That leaves Dell M1730 or the RockDirect Xtreme SL8 but the latter will set you back by about

Collapse -
Sager is the same as Rock in the USA.
by orlbuckeye / March 1, 2008 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Dell XPS M1730

They are both made by Clevo =(ODM), Rock and Sager (OEM).

Collapse -
by GraversParadise / March 3, 2008 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: Dell XPS M1730

thanks for you input it does help

Collapse -
XP + modern mobile graphics solution = problematic
by BigGuns149 / March 1, 2008 10:41 AM PST

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Nvidia doesn't officially support Windows XP on the newer 8x00 series mobile graphics cards. There are some unofficial drivers out there, but I wouldn't count of those drivers being updated. For ATI I haven't even seen unofficial drivers for their newer graphics cards. About the best you can get is a 7900GTX mobile, that is assuming you can find one. Very few were made.

One of the few laptops where the manufacturer actually provided drivers for Windows XP for a Geforce 8x00 card is Apple's Macbook Pro. Other laptops with the same chip theoretically could use the same driver. Other from Sager most of the high end laptops that could run XP don't even offer XP as an option. You are going to have to have your own copy (no a Vista license won't give you a free XP license and even Ultimate/Business which have downgrade rights require you to provide the media) and do the install yourself. Furthermore, the vendor isn't going to give you any support for it. So you are on your own.

The era of Windows XP on laptops is pretty much coming to a close. Getting a laptop where you can find both audio, video, and chipset drivers is pretty much near the end. Without good drivers a it isn't worth using on Windows XP.

Collapse -
by GraversParadise / March 3, 2008 11:33 AM PST

yeah when i did alot of my research i saw that alot of the co.s did not even have XP as an option

Collapse -
You Asked For The Best ... ready? :P
by i_made_this / March 2, 2008 10:41 AM PST

The Envy 171 Series (you configure from a base minimum which must be used to support the 171 Series' extreme hardware and software) made by (a different sort of HP division, to put it politely). Voodoo was bot by HP recently. You may wish to look at the HP-branded as well ~ I don;'t know anyone personally who's trialled the Blackbird Series yet, but it specs very very hot. Tech & Customer support for this level of machine is on a whole different plabe as it should be for the price. I own a Voodoo desktop but recently configured one of their Envy 171 laptops for a friend who is a radical gamer and so far so good, as I'd expected.

There are loads of others ~ small niche companies making gaming machines ~ besides these HP gaming series. But many feel that Dell has degraded their XPS and Alienware series. I wouldn't know ~ I've only used a massive Alienware machine once and it rocked, but that was before the purchase of the firm by Dell. You may wish to check out their Area 51 Series if it still exists and you're a fan of Dell's.

Some advice. You'll have to choose between ab AMD and an Ibtel provessor. Who's in front goes in cycles. Intel's in front currently.You may have to choose between which dedicated Gtaphics Cards to use - ATI or NVIDIA. Go with NVIDIA's Go GeForce series (the word "Go" means laptop series in NVIDIA-speak lol). Memory ia cheap so do yourself a favor and get loads like 3 or 4 GB expandable upto 8 GB. If you choose 4 GB, you'll have to go with Ultimate to safely support the ware.

Here's a word of caution that's pretty serious ~ later this year, we expect NVIDIA to release its next more powerfrul card series (the 9000's for desktop and the Go 8000's for laptop) so you may want to wait. Even if the current pair of series suits your needs, it'll be pretty deeply discounted by then. Cooling systems ~ spend up foor quality unless you're ok with a fair amount of noise from your processors. Finally, we expect the RTM Vista SP1 soon and Lord knows what impact that'll have on all of this high-end gaming gear. On that note, please bear in mind the essential difference between desktops and laptops where gaming gear is converned. It's fairly easy to upgrade parts on a large Tower, but not so on a small Laptop.

Collapse -
by GraversParadise / March 3, 2008 11:35 AM PST

thanks for your info it helped

Collapse -
by notebookadvisor / February 5, 2009 12:21 PM PST

If you're looking for the best gaming laptop, then you definitely want to look at the Factor Gaming NP9262. It can be configured with dual 9800m GTX's for a total of 2GB of video memory, a 3.0 GHz quad core or a 3.33GHz dual core CPU, up to 1.5TB of storage and 8GB of memory.

The thing is an absolute MONSTER. .

You can find this king of a gaming laptops here:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.