Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

The best audio editing software?

by TechFan / February 25, 2005 5:34 PM PST

I've been goofing around with creating music on my computer for a few years now. I goof around with Propellerhead Reason and Sonic Foundry's Acid - stuff like that. But, it's become clear to me that I need to get a good multi-track audio/MIDI recorder/editor program.

I've been thinking about getting Adobe Audition - anyone have any opinions? I've also heard that Sonar is good. And, naturally everyone raves about ProTools, but I hear that's far better suited for the Mac. I'm running Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The best audio editing software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The best audio editing software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Definitely go with Audition
by chewbacca / February 25, 2005 6:03 PM PST

Adobe Audition actually used to be a great piece of software call Cool Edit Pro made by a company called Syntrillium. While Audition is only up to 1.5, Cool Edit Pro was a standard audio editing tool for years. The best part about Adobe buying them is that they made the software even more affordable.

Collapse -
Also, what about Reason 3.0?
by chewbacca / February 25, 2005 6:04 PM PST

What version of Reason are you using? Have you heard anything about the latest upgrade?

Collapse -
Never could get ProTools to work
by 2045324840631840741394722 / February 25, 2005 6:06 PM PST

You know, DigiDesign offers up ProTools for free on their website. I downloaded it a couple times but could never get it to launch on my PC.

Collapse -
It wont !!!!!!!!!!!!
by aw96b6imf / August 20, 2009 8:35 PM PDT

it's simple. Protools software was designed to wotk with protools hardware. It won't run until u hav a protools audio interface

Collapse -
by pantergirl / January 31, 2006 5:19 AM PST

Looks stupid, but I have Nero 6 Suite. One of the tools is Nero Wave Editor. I can get most things done with that tool !

Collapse -
Sound Forge (the pro version, not the $99 one) is
by Kiddpeat / January 31, 2006 8:37 AM PST

unquestionably one of the best. That's particularly true when it's coupled with Sony Vegas (not the $99 one). An audio track can be transferred to Sound Forge for processing (clipped peak restoration for example), and then wind up back in the Vegas time line.

Collapse -
Adobe Audition is my favorite
by Jasmineflower / February 1, 2006 8:17 AM PST

Though that could be because I used it first and got used to it. I've used SoundForge and ProTools and neither one was quite right for me. Of course, if you really want to mess around with digital music (or any other digital media), switch to a Mac. Wink

Collapse -
by danc2heaven / February 17, 2006 1:15 PM PST

If you want a very well put together audio/midi sequencer look into Cubase sx3,, but depending on what you are willing to spend they have more basic models like SE SL AND LE. They make a really good professional editor/mastering program called Wavelab and version 6 just came out. Beware though it does have a steep learning curve.

Collapse -
only fools don't change their opinion....
by pantergirl / February 17, 2006 6:17 PM PST

I am speaking about myself, so don't get jumpy !

After my message on the subject, I had a tour through the downloads and discovered Audacity, and tried it.... and am completely overwhelmed !
Try out this FREE tool... even for complete beginners this is a very easy but oh so complete software for audio editing, mixing of stereo and mono tracks, special effects, all you can think of. Export to MP3 or WAV. I cannot imagine ONE feature in Nero that I didn't find here !
So, I changed my mind. Why buying an expensive program, when this can do it all, in the most somple and user-friendly way ?
Hi to you all

Collapse -
you asked for the "best"
by danc2heaven / February 18, 2006 10:36 PM PST

cubase is definately one of the best out there,, not bashing other programs which are good in there own way but cheaper programs are limited in their functions and quality, i don't know how serious you want to get into making music but if you are go with something that won't really have limitations.for instance this guy may want to get into surround recording.

Collapse -
by pantergirl / February 17, 2006 9:49 PM PST

try Audicity before purchasing. Its an open license, you can find it on CNET, and it's really great !

Collapse -
by dano83860 / February 19, 2006 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: audicity

Excellent piece of soft ware.

Collapse -
acid for mixing/ sound forge for mastering
by tblaschk / August 5, 2006 12:05 PM PDT

what version of acid have you been using ? I've been using acid pro 4 for years it seems to work great. It's a big step up from the cheaper versions of acid i.e acid music,dj,etc. . . the pro versions support DX fx, busses , 5.1 surround sound, video editing. . .pretty pwerfull software. Now , I don't know if it's the BEST, but I find it to be good enough.

I've heard that soundforge is best used for putting the final touches on a finished track.

Not to knock anything else suggested here , as I'm sure that they are excellent as well . .. You're probably going to have to end up deciding on a comprimise - ease of use , flexibility , price , etc. . .

Collapse -
by ncmike1 / August 2, 2008 8:17 AM PDT

I record our community band using a Zoom H4 portable recorder, and then Audacity to edit the recording to burn to CD's for the band members.
To begin with, I constantly get compliments on the sound quality of the Zoom H4 (which I also recommend), but using Audacity makes the editing so easy. This is a free software, and I can't believe it. It is user friendly, and once you've edited a couple of CD's to get the hang of it, you can fly right through subsequent ones with ease.
I highly recommend Audacity. Why pay?

Collapse -
Why Pay? Because...
by AmbientShadow / August 20, 2008 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Audacity

For the everyday audio user... sure, audacity is fine. But for serious audio prosumers and professionals, Cubase simply cannot be touched. There is so much more to Cubase than simple audio editing. Multitrack, automation, midi sequencing, complete scoring/notation, midi controller interfacing, 32/128 sampling... the list goes on. While audacity is good for most audio "functions", if you're after a serious editor, you can't beat cubase. Unfortunately, it's expensive.

I am personally a big fan of Ableton Live, but it's pricey too. I found it's learning curve to be much less than Cubase and it's much more geared toward live performance and getting your ideas into the computer faster, but if it ever got to the point where it came time for full-quality stuff, I would go over to Cubase.

Adobe Audition is good but it lacks the midi power of live or cubase, but it does come cheap. I used cool edit pro before Adobe bought them, and I still use it now. I have had occasion to use Audition and it seems to be more of the same ease of use and overall power. I guess it depends on your actual needs and what you're willing to spend - there's really not TOO much choice out there when it comes to powerful audio software.

(I have never used protools however - nor do I really intend to >.<)

Collapse -
cubase sx3
by Alexander1991.... / August 20, 2008 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Why Pay? Because...

hello if you want cubase sx 3.send me a mail to

Collapse -
I liked the info u posted....i have some questions...
by gunsh0w82 / May 4, 2009 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Why Pay? Because...

So you suggest Ableton Live and either of them gear more towards a mac?

Although i've heard protools is...would there be a specific reason u wouldnt recommend protools?

And far as recorders u have any recommendations?

(by the way, i have a PowerBook G4) if that makes any difference...

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2009 9:14 PM PDT

Look at the original posting date of 2005 and consider you may get more replies if you start a new discussion.

Collapse -
Adobe Audition
by dark_arts_DA / December 26, 2008 4:19 AM PST

Definately have to go with adobe audition, love the simplicity... Easy to use interface...

Collapse -
MAGIX Samplitude / Sequoia ???
by CutmasterX / April 22, 2009 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wavepad Masters
by Allij / June 29, 2009 2:55 PM PDT

For Audio Editing check out Wavepad by NCH Software, you can purchase Masters Edition for a fraction of the cost of the products you mention. There is also a free lite version if your needs are simple. If you want to go into Multi track mixing, try NCH's Mixpad.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.