TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

TH-42PWD5 Panasonic EDTV...

by juanpablogallo / September 25, 2006 5:32 PM PDT

I bought this Panasonic Plasma Broadcast model a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. This is an EDTV that has BNC component conectors on the plasma. I have never upgraded to an HD tuner, but I was curious to know if I did upgrade to an HD tuner and hook up the component cable what kind of resolution I would get? Would a DVI converter help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TH-42PWD5 Panasonic EDTV...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TH-42PWD5 Panasonic EDTV...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ODD T.V. TIME FOR A NEW ONE
by stewart norrie / September 26, 2006 3:41 AM PDT

I just looked up your Panasonic and notice it has very low resulation I could not find what kind of inputs it has but b.n.c. sounds strange mabey for a vidio proccesor of some kind. As far as a hi-def tuner goes it may give you a slight better picture but its a far cry from hi-def. My opinion I would upgrade to a new set with a built in hi-def tuner. spending all that extra money on a tuner and adapting your b.n.c. inputs is not worth it good luck and please reply I hope we can help you more stewee

Collapse -
DVD Quality actually really Good
by juanpablogallo / September 26, 2006 4:13 AM PDT

So the actual unit has Component connectors (RBG) but the're BNC connections. I bought monster adapters (BNC to reg RCA..for component cable) which work great. I have Onkyo DVD/rcvr hooked up to the Plasma and the picture quality looks awesome. The DVD quality is great, but there is a big difference between DVD quality and when I watch regular tv. Im curious to see if I would upgrade to a HD Tuner which wouldnt be to much (DIRECTV has a deal, just not with tivo)what if any the difference would be. Ive been very happy with my unit just wanted to see if it was worth the trouble. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
JUAN one more idea for you to consider
by stewart norrie / September 26, 2006 4:44 AM PDT

Ok check out the Dish Network much better than direct t.v. Order your basic +hi-def package + VOOM for only $5.00 extra per month You will also recieve all your network stations in hi-def for free this will give you tons of hi-def stations to watch . Your gonna love the programming on the hi-def stations. I did not mean to bash your t.v. SORRY. I just bought a 72" 1080I monster and 720 does look good so you should be very happy but there again 1080I is eyepopping reply stewee

Collapse -
TH-42PWD5
by juanpablogallo / September 26, 2006 10:04 AM PDT

No problem, I sometimes bash my on TV.I bought it almost 5 years ago when Plasma was relatively new and it cost me close to 4k. I can only imagine what kind of tv I can get for that now. well you get the picture.I understand your argument being pro DISH Network, Ive always been a directv guy mainly for the sport packages in the U.S. Dish network has caught up and than some, there international packages have always been far superior and now they offer more HD packages as well, I think after my directtv nfl ticket runs out I might switch. I still have a question about the tv/connectors.. do you think i will get a better picture if i hook up an hd receiver to those connectors or do i still need somesort of dvi inverter/converter. I might try my buddies directtv HD RCVR and see what it does.

Collapse -
Sorry But Stewie.....
by RoadRunner6 / September 26, 2006 5:22 PM PDT
In reply to: TH-42PWD5

.....knows nothing about EDTV's. We have gone over this before but he just keeps bashing EDTV's. He just looks at the resolution numbers and presumes that 480p can't possibly look anywhere near as good as a 720p signal, not realizing that there is very little perceived difference by the human eye.

I also have an EDTV plasma and it is excellent and very close in picture quality to a HDTV plasma with 720p resolution on HDTV signals. Most pro reviewers can't tell any difference between an EDTV and a HDTV with HDTV signal inputs at more than 9-10 feet or so on a 42" plasma. The brand in your case a 5th generation Panny is more important than the native resolution. Many pro reviewers also say they would take a top quality EDTV over a mediocre HDTV any day. So there, Stewie, back to your snack bar! Happy

The BNC connectors are just a pro type connector that comes on all of Panny commercial models. You don't need Monster brand adaptors. You can Google for a BNC to RCA adaptor and find ones for $5.00 or less, or check at Radio Shack.

When I auditioned my plasma I saw it being fed an OTA HDTV signal of a pro football game on ABC. That was a 720p signal. It looked stunning on my JVC EDTV plasma. I think you will find that you will get a super pciture with a HDTV tuner feed. The component input should be fine.

Probably worth trying it out before you go spend money on a new plasma. BTW, standard TV signals and also current DVD movies will look slightly better on your EDTV display than a new HDTV. There is a straight shot from a progressive scan DVD player (480p) to your EDTV plasma (480p), no upscaling involved.

RR6

Collapse -
Here Is a Pro's Comparison of Panny's EDTV versus HDTV
by RoadRunner6 / September 27, 2006 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry But Stewie.....

Hope this will give you a good comparison and discredit the ''all EDTV plasma's are crap'' nonsense that keeps being put forward by uninformed posters.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-resolution.html

One of the best buys and a well kept secret is the value of the 42'' EDTV plasma from top brands like Panasonic (TH-42PD60U or TH-42PS9UK) which sell for about $1300 discounted.

RR6

Collapse -
Good Advice...
by juanpablogallo / September 27, 2006 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry But Stewie.....

Thanks to both for advice.. I knew that my plasma always looked better than others when it came to DVD quality (EDTV vs HDTV) but was never sure what would happen if I were to give it an HD signal. Turns out a buddy just upgraded to an HD Tuner/Receiver which I will try out personally on my old school but reliable EDTV Panny and see what happens. I bought the Monster BNC adapters shortly after I bought the TV for about $5 a pop, because I didnt know any better... Figured $4K for tv, $5 a connector wasn bad... Thanks again.

Collapse -
PLEASE LET ME DEFEND MYSELF
by stewart norrie / September 29, 2006 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Advice...

I am not bashing anyone or anything , If a e.d. plasma looks as good as a 1080I set then it may be true .From what I see on my d.l.p. set is 480 looks like standard t.v. 720 looks very good and clean and 1080I looks just like 35m.m. movie film So I just cannot accept the fact that e.d looks as good as a 1080I set it just cant no way So today I will try and find a e.d. set to see for myself if I can find one let the war begin stewee

Collapse -
Don't Judge EDTV Plasma Displays.....
by RoadRunner6 / September 29, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

.....by what you see on your DLP, that is not a valid comparison and a huge leap. You are looking at a standard TV signal that your Toshiba is upconverting from 480 to 1080i. That is all dependent on the circuitry in your Toshiba and the original source.

All the times in the past that you have bashed EDTV's here and you have never even looked at a top quality EDTV display, wow! People might get the impression that you are just blowing hard and don't know what you are talking about (except for snack bars).

If you want to see an EDTV display and make a valid judgement on the picture quality, then find a dealer that has an EDTV and a HDTV from the same top brand and the same series like the Panasonic TH-42PD60U (EDTV) and the TH-42PX60U (HDTV) and judge them side by side if possible.
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelComparisonResults?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&catGroupId=24973&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&surfCategory=Plasma%20TVs&items=96291|96293|

Then take the remotes and set them to the same middle settings for brightness, contrast and color, etc. Now you can evaluate them on standard signals, DVD movie signals (480p), and HDTV signals (720p or 1080i).

Repeatedly trashing EDTV's when you have never even seen a quality brand EDTV is called bashing in my opinion.

RR6

Collapse -
ROADRUNNER IAM RUNNING OUT THE DOOR NOW
by stewart norrie / September 29, 2006 4:49 AM PDT

And Iam sure you are rite on the button. I do know when I have seen a plasma display and watching s.d. material it does look much better than on my set, you know you can show old farts new tricks, One more question for you now dont get mad ? now that 1080I or p sets are selling for bargin prices why would e.d.t.v. sets sets still be a good choice have a nioce day stewee

Collapse -
Stewie, Don't Forget The Bon-Bons For The...
by RoadRunner6 / September 29, 2006 5:58 PM PDT

...snack bar!.

Well , actually I've seen those good quality 42'' EDTV's going for about $1200-$1300 online. Now of course this is only up to 42'' for EDTV's. The 42'' HDTV is about $500 more or so. I think the picture quality on the 42'' EDTV will be better than the PQ on a HDTV projection unit in the same price range. So if someone absolutely wants a bigger screen then they have to go to a 50'' HDTV or one of the larger projection models.

I'm only pointing out that if a person is perfectly happy with 42'' then a new 42'' EDTV is a budget way to go and still get almost as good as HDTV, it's very close. Yes, you can feed a HD source to the 480p display and it will look excellent.

It's just that many people think there is a huge difference going up the line from 480p to 720/768p (or 1080i)and 1080p. It is really only a small difference. Unfortunately, someone arbitrarily decided to use the term ''high definition'' starting at 720p. Most people, even many pro's, then come to the conclusion that 480p displays cannot have excellent PQ, simply not true. In fact, they have slightly better PQ on standard TV signals and 480p DVD's.

Here is a portion of the review on Pioneer's new 1080p plasma that just came out. Read what he has to say about the difference between 720p and 1080p:

''SETUP If you want to see all the detail in 1080i and 1080p HDTV signals on a 1080p-rez set like this one, seating distance is crucial. The customary 7-foot span between my couch and TV proved a bit too much; shortening it to 6 feet let me better appreciate high-def programs. If you sit farther from the PRO-FHD1, chances are the picture won't look much more detailed than it would on a native 720p display''

This is an amazing statement when you think about it. Now you know why I have many times here cautioned people about getting too caught up in the 1080p hype. Yes, there is an improvement but it is slight. Much more important to me is the signal source that you feed the display and also the HD DVD players. The reviews on the new Samsung Blu-Ray player are very disappointing, medicore performance in the rush to get out to the market.

A top quality HD-DVD or Blu-Ray Disc is going to look superb on a top quality 1080p display. It is also going to look almost as superb on a 720/768p display. I would take a top quality HD Disc/excellent player on a 720/768p display any day rather than a mediocre HD disc on a top quality 1080p.

Here is the link to the Pioneer Elite 50'' Pro-FHD1 Plasma Monitor review if anyone is interested.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/equipment/1742/pioneer-elite-pro-fhd1-50-inch-1080p-plasma-monitor.html

The best display in the world is a sort of a waste unless you have top quality sources and top quality players.

I think you are very smart to wait for the Sony, hopefully they will not have as many first generation mistakes as Toshiba and Samsung.

RR6

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.