Android

Rant

text messages not going through

by amcdan2000_1 / December 24, 2012 11:45 AM PST

Got new galaxy phone with at&t service. Had infuse but it broke. Can text to at&t customers but not Verizon friends. At&t says nothing in contract changed. Has anyone else had problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: text messages not going through
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: text messages not going through
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 1:33 AM PST

About the only thing that works is to use that failure as your break of the contract with ATT. Then you get them to transfer the phone number to another company. It's not a phone setting since the SMS makes it to other ATT customers.

So it's clearly their backend at fault. If there is a phone setting to allow this, again ATT supplies that.

They did change the plan months ago. http://www.technologytell.com/apple/76635/new-att-customers-soon-to-be-limited-in-sms-plan-choices/ and to enforce it, you bet it knows your phone's id.
Bob

Collapse -
Are you serious ???
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

Bob, a failure of the SMS wouldn't get the OP out of a contract. That was a very silly statement you made. The article you posted is completely irrelevant to the OP's situation.

It is a technical issue that can be resolved. A Tier II level trouble ticket will need to be submitted by CS to resolve the problem.

Collapse -
Yes I am.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Are you serious ???

If the carrier does not supply services they agreed to, you have an out. The carriers hate it when you use such as the out but it works (seen it work!)

As to the link, it's not exactly spot on and I knew that. But the claim that the carrier made is false. They make changes all the time in the backend. However they are not going to reveal that to the clients.

SMS does fail a lot more than folk think. One of our early GPS trackers used SMS and it failed a lot. Later we moved to an IP over cellular solution with SMS used to trigger some specific features. Much better but the carriers are a funny lot. Only after years of working with the same support folk have we reached the point they take our requests and reports seriously. They can't take the usual customer too seriously.
Bob

Collapse -
We will agree to disagree on this one
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Yes I am.

Features such as SMS are not part of the contract in the same sense as a voice plan. Similarly, a lack of voice coverage at a consumer's house won't get someone out of a contract.

Collapse -
I got out of my Sprint over coverage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 8:47 AM PST

But maybe because I'm a developer but I had no problem at all. Tipping my hand a bit here but a few companies I do work for have me all over the place, trade shows like CTIA and I hope it's not who you know that gets you good service.
Bob

Collapse -
Back to the original issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 8:53 AM PST

Since we know the carrier gets the SMS, it's pretty clear the fault is with them. It's possible the phone needs something set or changed but the carrier should be able to clear that up eventually.

Sometimes you have folk that pick up a phone and jam in the card and expect it to just work.
Bob

Collapse -
We don't know anything for certain...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 25, 2012 10:27 AM PST

It is impossible to say if the fault is w/ At&t or Verizon at this point. As a former rep for At&t I dealt with this type of issue from time to time. Need to give Tier II technical support a chance to resolve the problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.