Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Tenda W268R Wireless Bridge

by puredeadradio / December 20, 2010 1:10 AM PST

MicroCenter has a special on these wireless routers, I bought two and would like to wirelessly bridge them to get a wired connection in a different room, but I can't seem to get them to talk to each other - any tips/suggestions/advice?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tenda W268R Wireless Bridge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tenda W268R Wireless Bridge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe they don't do that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 5:56 AM PST

Provide a link to the manual for members to check.

Collapse -
Product Manual
by puredeadradio / December 20, 2010 7:56 AM PST
Collapse -
That's terrible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Product Manual

I found one page to note this and it was awful.

All I can offer is to try that LAZY mode.

Collapse -
I think the manufacturers were in LAZY mode
by puredeadradio / December 20, 2010 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: That's terrible.

There's a lot I don't know about networking, but can I ask what may be a couple stupid questions?

I'm attempting to join these two routers with my existing wireless router - Qwest 2Wire 2701HG-D (which is also my modem). The reason I'm trying to do this is I would like my network to be connected to the entertainment center, but I can't move my Qwest router out there because there are no phone jacks in the living room. I was thinking if I could wire the 2Wire to one of the Tendas, I could wirelessly bridge to the other Tenda that would be wired to our entertainment center.

I've scoured the internet looking for help everywhere I can think, from the manufacturer's website (which is about as helpful as the manual), to the MicroCenter's tech website (which was more helpful, but didn't solve the problem), to Googling all versions of this problem I can think of and following various how-tos. Either I'm overlooking something very simple, or the problem is more complex than I'm realizing.

Here's a couple of my recent attempts - keep in mind, I found how-to instructions on each of these methods online, so forgive me if they are flat-out ridiculous.

I've tried configuring all three routers onto the same wireless network - SSID, channel, etc.

I've tried configuring the two Tenda routers onto their own wireless network that would only bridge between the two.

My question now is if I assigned LAN IP addresses to each router, but all wireless settings are set to dynamic IP, would that affect the bridge? If I want to strictly bridge the two Tenda routers, would they have to be on the same channel? I've swapped MAC addresses between the two - am I missing something?

Any/all help is greatly appreciated - We tried calling the Tenda US support hotline and got a busy signal.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2010 11:39 PM PST

I read that manual and even armed with my knowledge from writing router software years ago I came up with no sure fire way or new instructions for you.

With such a poor manual I bet the support lines are jammed.

-> But when I want to bridge, I never have to configure my first wifi router in any new or different way than all the usual setups. I wonder if you are tripping up yourself here. That is, set up the first wifi router just like any other wifi router then try the other as a bridge.

Now if you have some other gear that was not noted, I would not know that.

Collapse -
Keep It Simple
by puredeadradio / December 21, 2010 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

I wouldn't put it past myself to overthink/overanalyze/overdo the setup process. I'll do a hard reset of the two new routers and give it a shot tonight.

Collapse -
o yeah one last thing
by dsweeten / December 27, 2010 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: Keep It Simple

have you tried a VPN, you MIGHT have some luck with the vpn options to bridge them

Collapse -
Still nothing.
by puredeadradio / December 27, 2010 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: o yeah one last thing
Collapse -
by dsweeten / December 27, 2010 12:25 AM PST

what os are you running currently? if ts a 9x home edtion it probably wont work, sounds like to bridge the 3 together youll need to hard line 2 in 1 network then bridge that to the 3rd make sure you are running a NT os, you will have to setup groups and make sure you give all the proper exceptions, or, just setup your network using all 3 u will have to daisy chain them together. this probably your best option, you can go 90 yards between them so get cable, otherwise youll just have to run all 3 separate, and i say for what it is, i picked up the same model, idk if you can daisy chain these together, but they might not be able to communicate properly, look into. i have a question for you. have you tried to goto the website for the admin controls for this model? I have but have yet to have success finding it

Collapse -
by dsweeten / December 27, 2010 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: bridging

not90 yards lol 90 meters plus 10 for wall slack so 100 total

Collapse -
Trying to avoid the cable
by puredeadradio / December 27, 2010 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: woops

I've got a cable running between my 2Wire (modem+wireless) and one of the Tendas, and I would like to wirelessly bridge to the other Tenda to feed ethernet cables to my entertainment center (I've got DSL and no phone jacks in this room). I've currently got an old XP desktop (my laptop's down).

Collapse -
(NT) ok i found it
by dsweeten / December 27, 2010 6:50 AM PST
Collapse -
by dsweeten / December 27, 2010 6:56 AM PST

you can set the bridge options from the ip address on the bottom of the modem, its under the menu WLAN settings\WDS settings, use the bridge mode or repeater mode and enter all the ap mac address for the other 2 routers enter your encryption types and it should work,i cant do it atm i dont have more than 1 router but thats where the option is, the ip address for your router is then the username/password both admin, just like the sticker on the bottom is. hope that helps

Collapse -
did that work?
by dsweeten / December 28, 2010 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: woops

looked like u could add quite a few mac addresses to that just make sure if your using the mac filter to add the routers mac address in. Lemme know if you have anymore problems and if that wds setting worked i am curious to hear the results of that. theres a little more information on the usage of wds in the user manual on the cd. if interested anyways hope you were successful.

Collapse -
by dsweeten / December 28, 2010 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: did that work?

ok heres how your process should got, you hard line 1 router to your modem, and do the setup process i said earlier, unless you have a wireless modem then thats the one you will need to setup the wds option. its a matter of figuring out who controls who. if your main modem from your dsl provider is a router build i,a wireless on then you should be able to slave the 2 tendas to that just do one at a time. have your other wireless modem unpluged no wires should need to go to this just your power cable, unless you hard lines something, blueray etc. after you add the ac address to the wds settings, goto the system menu i believe it is and reboot your router, then go plug in the other router and see if your man router registers in the connections menu at the bottom of the WLAN menu. i believe the repeater mode is the setting you are looking for allows firewall options to carry from the main source i think.

Collapse -
(NT) Client OS version has nothing to do with WDS bridging
by JHarrsch / January 7, 2013 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: bridging
Collapse -
Tenda 268R and 307R
by Rfdwash / January 8, 2011 9:09 AM PST

I tried everything under the sun and can't get these routerss to bridge. I bought two 268 models and the 306/307R with no luck! I took off all security settings, activated Lazy on my main router (306/307R) and added the appropriate MAC addresses in all devices to no avial. also, my main Router, 307R keeps losing connectivity! I dunno. Done spent half the weekend playing with this stuff! The tech support number for Tenda rings forever but no one ever answers (not even an answering machine)...Sound fustrated? you betcha!

Collapse -
Tenda 307R wireless N
by africasiaeurocom / March 27, 2013 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Tenda 268R and 307R

Problem solving :
you may need to reset ( button on back ) press 7 sec +
connect router to pc , as per detailed instructions, run software.
software will pair modem, router, chose WPA personal (for some reason this worked best).

Collapse -
Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 3, 2011 7:21 PM PST

I've just deleted a post from gaya1. Sorry.

The post included a link to a .rar file, and without downloading and opening the file we can't tell what it is. That is considered dangerous as it puts users at risk of malware.

In general, links to .rar or .zip files are treated with utmost caution because there is no safe way of knowing what they are.

Collapse -
Gayay1 ! Please don't use files that can't be vetted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: Post deleted.

Such links in posts will get a delete. And usually without a note why.

Try finding that on or another good site.

Collapse -
Finally got it to work
by GreyWanderingRogue / February 12, 2011 2:20 AM PST

I could not get this to work despite spending hours and hours and every setting I could think of. I finally used Google cache to read the deleted post in this tree, which said an older version of the firmware works. I couldn't find the version mentioned there, but I decided to use the one on the website (V3.2.5e-W268R):

I then followed the method described here (even though it's a different model, the steps are the same):

The only difference is I left both of my WDS modes in Bridge and put the other Router's MAC address in as described for only one of the routers in his post. Lazy mode might work as he suggests, but I'm not changing mine now that it works.

Also, the routers don't show up when I 'Open Scan' for them now, but that might be because they're already in the access list. If you can't find yours, you might try manually entering them.

Thrilled this finally works. I can now reach the internet from my computer connected to the wireless router that isn't directly connected to the WAN port. Yay.

Incidently, I'm not sure that the firmware is different between these models. I did a binary diff of one of the versions between the 311 and 286, and they were identical. I even tried updating using one of 311 firmwares on my 286, and it looked like it was working. I'd stick to the 286 3.2.5e firmware, though, as I know that one works.

Collapse -
Can't get router to downgrade firmware - help?
by knagl / October 2, 2011 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally got it to work

From what I've read here (thanks) as well as on the link you posted from, I know that downgrading my router firmware to 3.2.5e is the key to getting this to work. ...but I can't get the darn thing to take the firmware change.

I'm connected directly between a computer and one of the yellow LAN ports, and I can navigate to the Router's web interface by browsing to and successfully change any settings there, but when I tell it to "upgrade" the firmware to the 3.2.5e .bin file that I've unzipped, it appears to go through the "upgrading" -- "rebooting" process, but even after a manual reboot the thing still says it has "Firmware Version H1_V3.3.6g_EN". I've tried literally half a dozen times, using two different computers, two different browsers (IE and Firefox), and even two different downloads of the firmware.

Any suggestions before I tear all of my hair out? Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Can you go back to even older?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2011 7:57 AM PDT

That worked on an older router.

Also, some try to do this over wifi. Ugg.

Collapse -
I've tried other versions and it still won't change
by knagl / October 2, 2011 10:12 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

For the Tenda W268R, the oldest firmware they offer on their site is 3.2.5e (the one I've been trying to use). I tried a different one (3.3.6d) and again the upgrade wouldn't take -- after reboot, it still showed that it was running 3.3.6g. It's as if the router is either not willing to flash itself to another version, or something is preventing it from changing.

In my frustration last night I did try it via Wi-Fi which also didn't work. As soon as the update process started it dropped the connection. The router didn't seem any worse for wear, though -- it still showed 3.3.6g after the "upgrade" attempt.

I'm curious if anyone with one of these cheap POS Tenda routers ever encountered the issue I'm bumping up against, and how they got around it?

Collapse -
And I noted that updates over wifi are not a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2011 11:00 AM PDT

I do not have this model so all I can offer is this.

1. Updates are done over ethernet.
2. I've encountered a few that fail to update unless I use Internet Explorer.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
Teda Firmware not upgrading
by Yakub1 / October 2, 2011 2:20 PM PDT

I have attempted numerous time downgrading to older firmware on the W268R router, still shows version originally came with. I have spent a lot of time to setup my WDS, still no luck. If anybody had upgrading/downgrading issue and resolved that would be a great help. All the trig I have applied not working, any help would be really appreciated.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 1:53 AM PDT

Next stop is the maker's support.

Collapse -
And I noted that I wasn't using wi-fi to update
by knagl / October 3, 2011 4:07 AM PDT

As noted in my original post (10/2/2011 at 2:54pm), I was connected directly between a LAN port on the router and my computer via an ethernet cable. After you mentioned that "some try to do this over wifi" did I mention that as a last resort after a number of unsuccessful attempts directly connected did I try via wi-fi, with the same unsuccessful results. I also noted that I tried using both Internet Explorer and Firefox with the same results.

With the new post yesterday by Yakub1 in this thread, it further confirms to me that there is a problem trying to downgrade the firmware on this router, and that I'm not the only one who has experienced this issue. As Yakup1 said, it would be very helpful if someone who has this router and managed to downgrade their firmware would see this thread and post how they did it.

Regardless, I've pretty much given up. I found an older ASUS WL-330gE 4-in-1 adapter/gateway/AP/repeater that I managed to configure in repeater mode and was able to accomplish what I've been trying unsuccessfully to do with the Tenda W268R.

Collapse -
Teda Firmware not upgrading/downgrading
by Yakub1 / October 3, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

I really appreciate your heads up Bob. I will be sure to get
in touch with the manufacturer, they have US customer support phone number listed
on their website. If customer support is not helpful then I will return the
device to the retailer. Update to follow..

Collapse -
Here's why I think returns to retailers work well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2011 4:23 AM PDT

Retailers HATE returns and if they get too many they have a hard chat with the maker/vendors about if they will continue to sell the products.

I have no reservations on returning products.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.