Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Temporary Folder Location??

by dhowell1 / July 14, 2005 6:30 PM PDT

Hi all,

If I click on a video file to open and stream it to my computer instead of downloading, it always says it's downloading to "Location: Temporary Folder". Where exactly is this folder? Using XP Pro by the way and IE 6.
Thanks
Dave

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Temporary Folder Location??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Temporary Folder Location??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
temp folder
by griffosg / July 14, 2005 7:28 PM PDT

click Start->Run
type in %temp%

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Are these files safely deletable??
by dhowell1 / July 15, 2005 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: temp folder
Collapse -
Generally yes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 9:47 AM PDT

And it's a good idea to keep a check of your Temp folders and Temporary Internet File folders and clear them out occasionally.

You can do that fairly easily. Goto Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click Disk Cleanup.

This is a small utility that allows you to clean up unwanted files on your computer. It firstly compesses old files. Don't worry if that takes a few minutes, then it shows you which folders have files you can delete and how much space they are taking.

About folders;

Folders are like the drawers in a cabinet. If you can picture a cabinet without drawers in, that is what your hard disk would be like. When programs are installed, or documents, images, videos, music files, etc are saved, they are saved on the hard drive. Just like a filing cabinet, documents, invoices, letters, etc, ''could'' just be thrown into the empty cabinet in any order. That's fine for speed and ease of use, but trying to find something later is just a mess. That's why cabinets have drawers in them. Then documents can be sorted into the drawers, in alphabetical order. Then, each drawer can have cardboard dividers inside, to further divide up the documents. Then finding a document is much easier.

This is how hard disks store files. There are no ''real'' folders. Just areas on the disk that are designated as folders for our use. Inside the folders are sub-folders, and inside those further sub-folders, to help us to find files when we need them.

Have a look at this. Goto Start > All Programs> Accessories, then click Windows Explorer. On the left is a list starting with ''Desktop'', then ''My Computer'' , then ''My Documents'', and so on. Some of these have little boxes to the left with either a + or a - sign besides them.

CLick the + sign besides ''My Computer'' and it will highlight 3? Floppy (A: ), Local Disk (C: ) and other items.

The C is your hard disk, the C drive. Click the + sign besides that, and see all the folders listed. These are the main folders on the hard disk. Highlight any, and see on the right hand side a list of sub-folders and files stored with that folder.

Windows Explorer is a very useful tool for exploring your hard disk, and for moving, (cut or copy, then pasting), files around.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.