PC Hardware forum

Question

Temp CPU

by ac1818 / November 22, 2012 10:47 AM PST

Hi.

Sorry for starting a similar thread to my last one, however i needed further assistance with this topic, and the other thread was marked rsolved.

Just wondering about the temperature range for an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz. I am using the stock cooler and have applied thermal paste, however temperatures for the CPU are averaging 55 degrees with normal tasks and temperatures may reach 70 degrees doing windows updates. Temperatures for the CPU reached 74 degrees when exporting a 2 hour video cut down from 20 hours.

I have changed the stock cooler with another with another one and have applied thermal paste again, but it the temps are still around the same.

Are these temperatures too high? That is what I am thinking. I was thinking of purchasing some arctic silver thermal paste, since i am guessing that my current thermal paste is no good (had it for 3 years) Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance

PS: I am not overclocking

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Temp CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Temp CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes, these temps are too high
by wpgwpg / November 22, 2012 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: Temp CPU

I'd get another exhaust fan. They plug into power outlets on the mobo and fit into one of the case's expansion slot places. I'd also clean the dust out of the air intake places and get the dust bunnies out of the mobo, CPU fan, and exhaust places. If it's been over a year since this was last done, you definitely need to do it. Be careful to ground yourself before removing the cover, and try not to touch the components. I use a can of compressed gas to help get rid of the dust. You'd be amazed at how much dust accumulates in the heat sink fins on top of the CPU.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Re
by ac1818 / November 22, 2012 12:54 PM PST

Thanks for your response. I have considered that. I actually have a couple of those fans lying around, but they are quite noisy. I might think of looking into a new one, but it is an old case, so I might as well upgrade the case.

I have cleaned the fan with a can of compressed air already, it was a bit dusty, but it did not seem to make a difference.

Sorry. The above should be 60 degrees temp for windows updates not 70 degrees.

Should I try arctic silver thermal paste?
I was thinking that its the thermal paste thats the issue. The old tube might have gone bad. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Temp
by bob b / November 22, 2012 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Re

Intel shows max temp of 60'c'.

Take the cover off.....test.
If you have a temp monitor in the bios......what does it show?
Try a different real time monitor.

Thermal paste is cheap.....worth a shot.
Be aware that some types of paste have a multi day cure time.

Collapse -
Quiet fans
by wpgwpg / November 23, 2012 2:03 AM PST

I've installed a couple of fans that're whisper quiet, and they aren't that expensive. I'd replace the noisy ones. I don't remember exactly what I paid for mine, but my best recollection is $10 to $20. 60 degrees is a lot better than 70 obviously, but I like to see them under 50. I was told by one manufacturer that it has to get over 80 before there's definite damage, but we know the higher the temps are, the faster the components age.

Good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) What HS fan are you using ?
by VAPCMD / November 23, 2012 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Quiet fans
Collapse -
Re
by ac1818 / November 23, 2012 8:32 AM PST

Thanks for all your responses

I am using the regular stock cooler as mentioned previously. I checked the temp in the BIOS, however this temp is not that accurate since the CPU is not doing much during this period. I will check again just before shutting down my PC.

I think it is a good idea to try another temp monitor. I will try that as well.
I now used the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool which went through the tests and came up with a result of 15-17 degrees below max temp on full load. That seems strange given some of you have said the max Tcase temp is 60.1 degrees C. Any ideas here?

Collapse -
In addition
by ac1818 / November 23, 2012 10:42 AM PST

I checked temperatures in BIOS and it was ranging from 58-64 etc straight after a restart.

Collapse -
Except for an old AMD CPU I bought to test,
by VAPCMD / November 24, 2012 5:08 AM PST

I haven't used the manufacturer provided CPU HS Fan since I cannot remember when.

You can see what a difference the aftermarket CPU HS Fans make over at http://www.FrostyTech.com

There are a good number of moderately priced CPU HS Fans that are effective, mount easily, securely and many have the HW to use on all the current socket types. Once you find a couple that look good to you, head over to Newegg.com to see buyer reviews and check pricing. Case fans help but you've got to get the heat off the CPU first.

VAPCMD

PS...I'm running an i860 and it idles and runs normally 30c or below. At 'full on' it hits just above 50c.

Collapse -
Here's a link for the fan
by wpgwpg / November 23, 2012 11:26 PM PST
Collapse -
Will consider
by ac1818 / November 24, 2012 9:13 AM PST

Thanks. Will consider your suggestion.
I just thought I would be able to get away with the stock cooler since i am not overclocking and not doing extremely intensive work.

Collapse -
Answer
change to a new CPU fan
by thailandreview / November 23, 2012 11:21 AM PST
In reply to: Temp CPU

i think your work is hard to do your cpu is working hard
i ever see in another forum that cpu use low power. i think you can use high quality Video card

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.