Phones forum

Rant

Telemarketing calls!

by Syrinx77 / November 8, 2012 7:11 AM PST

Does anyone here have a suggestion/ tip on putting a stop to these infernal calls? The Do Not Call Registry is a joke.

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Telemarketing calls!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Telemarketing calls!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Getting a new number is really...
by Pepe7 / November 8, 2012 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: Telemarketing calls!

...all there is left regarding eliminating telemarketers unfortunately.

Collapse -
Can I assume....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 9:49 AM PST

....you are getting them on your cell phone ?? Depending on the phone OS, there are applications out there (some free) that allow you to block certain phone #'s or known telemarketer phone #'s. For instance, on my Android I use a service called YouMail and they also have a free app called Call Blocker. Good luck.

Collapse -
Best $6 I spend all month
by pamelad / November 9, 2012 3:09 PM PST

I don't know if you're asking about a landline or a cellphone, but I'm thinking you might be asking about a landline. The best $6 I spend per month is for a landline "dial '1' if you're a real person. I use Qwest, now Century Link. We used to get two to three calls per night, most annoyingly during dinner. I think we've gotten 20 in about six years, including robocalls during this election season.

The caller gets a message to dial "1," then something like, "If you are a solicitor, please hang up now. Otherwise, please dial "1." It really works. Solicitors simply hang up and you don't even hear the phone ring. Your friends and frequent callers will not hear the message after 20 calls, and "real people" can always dial "1" to get through.

Check if your phone company offers this option. It's not widely known or publicized for some reason, but it's great.

Collapse -
telemarketting
by 131238 / November 9, 2012 3:25 PM PST

I have signed up with 'The Telephone and Mail Preference Service'. Stopped virtually all such junk.
Still looking for something similar for the internet.....can't differentiate between essential updates and junk.

Collapse -
consider VOIP
by porsche10x / November 10, 2012 1:01 AM PST

If you are talking about your land-line, and you don't already, consider using a voice-over-IP phone service. They usually offer many, many more options compared to conventional phone companies. With mine, I can create white-lists, black-lists, different messages for different incoming callers, that same "dial-1" type filtering described. I can treat private callers differently, even filter partial phone numbers with wildcards (say, something like "all calls from 313-555-xxxx will get a 'phone # is disconnected' message"). This barely scratches the surface. There are a ton of options. If you get phone service from your cable company, you might already have all these features.

Collapse -
Telemarketing calls!
by gunnerds / November 10, 2012 9:03 AM PST

I just give the phone to my 3 year old and tell her it is Santa Claus. She gets real upset when they hang up. but I calm her down and tell her he'll call back. LOL

Collapse -
stop telemarketing calls
by judithst / November 10, 2012 12:55 PM PST

T ips for Handling Telemarketers
Three Little Words That Work!!
(1)The three little words are: 'Hold On, Please...'
Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.
Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.
These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting..
(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?
This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.
This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real' sales person to call back and get someone at home.
What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call, and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer!!!
(3) Junk Mail Help:
When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.
When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.
Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 44 cents postage, 'IF' and when they receive them back.
It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.
One of Andy Rooney 's (60 minutes) ideas.
Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!

If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.
You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 44 cents.
The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice!
Please read this in it's entire content - extremely interesting. How much is truth only the computer wizards will know. Cheers Bob

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea!
If enough people follow these tips, it will work I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

Collapse -
unwanted calls
by john10121 / November 16, 2012 2:25 PM PST

hey depending on your OS in your cell phone.There is an option for blacklisting the phone numbers which you donot need to answer.Just turn on the feature in your phone and get rid of the unwanted phone calls.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.