Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

TechTracker references obsolete PhotoPrint 3.4 update

by Mike49PA / January 14, 2011 12:11 AM PST

The scan correctly identified my Easy-PhotoPrint release 3.3 as obsoleted by the release 3.4 version that's apparently available from CNET. The problem is that the update doesn't install because the last display (that I see, anyway) in the install sequence is a declaration that the (free trial?) version I've just installed has exhausted its number of days and do I want to: Disagree or Order a Copy.

Is this a TechTracker issue? A Download.com issue?

At any rate, PhotoPrint will keep showing up as out of date.

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TechTracker references obsolete PhotoPrint 3.4 update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TechTracker references obsolete PhotoPrint 3.4 update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd say neither...
by John.Wilkinson / January 14, 2011 1:43 PM PST

The download is a free trial with a 120 day trial period. That brings up several points:

1.) The developer's installer, not TechTracker, controls the trial period. It could be a glitch, it could be that you (or another user of your computer) had it installed previously, or it could be that the developer counts days used of any version, not just 3.4.

2.) Trial versions can typically be installed and automatically registered if you have a previous version, which qualifies for an upgrade, already installed and activated. However, that's up to the developer to offer that convenience, so you may need to register the software with your product key manually.

3.) There are too many factors in determining whether an upgrade is free for you, as an individual, so TechTracker cannot warn you whether an upgrade will require a purchase. Thus, when in doubt, you must do the legwork in advance to determine if the upgrade's right for you.

In the end, I'd say your best bet is to contact the developer to get the issues straightened out.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
A belated thank you
by Mike49PA / March 11, 2011 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: I'd say neither...

Thanks for getting back to me, John.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Your response got buried in some other email I hadn't visited in a while.

Until next time, all the best,

Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.