Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

TechTracker Problem

by pop61243-2 / February 19, 2010 6:12 AM PST

Downloaded + installed TechTracker (4 times..). Ran scan, found 12 updates available. Try to proceed in menu in IE7.0 and FF3.6 + nothing happens. Turned off firewall + popup blocker to no avail. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TechTracker Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TechTracker Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re. your TechTracker problem
by CNET_TechTracker / February 23, 2010 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: TechTracker Problem

Hello,

Thanks for letting us know. I would not worry about re-installing TechTracker, as the problem is likely related to your browser interacting with your OS and/or a third-party application.

First, are you able to log into this page and see your scan results?

http://www.cnet.com/techtracker

Regards,
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
TechTracker problem
by pop61243-2 / February 23, 2010 4:59 AM PST

Nope. Have re-registered w/CNET, but cannot login to TechTracker in any way, shape or form.

Collapse -
Re. TechTracker problem
by CNET_TechTracker / February 23, 2010 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: TechTracker problem

Thank you for checking!

We are opening a technical support ticket on your behalf to work through this issue with you. Please be on the lookout for an e-mail with your ticket number - you can directly reply to that e-mail, or you can visit our support site to update your ticket.

Regards,
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
I havethe same problem
by melecheitan / February 25, 2010 2:00 AM PST

I tried the same solutions as well, to no avail.

Collapse -
No techtracker page
by RichDds-100000000000000000000000001111430 / February 27, 2010 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: I havethe same problem

I Mac, 10.6.2, Firefox 3.6. The Techtracker program works but when connecting to the tracker page, I just get;

"We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found.

If you got here by typing a URL, please make sure the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are correct, then try reloading the page."

I am able to log into cnet though.

Collapse -
not work techtracker
by master_camel / July 22, 2010 10:36 AM PDT

nope

We're sorry, but the page you requested could not be found.
If you got here by typing a URL, please make sure the spelling, capitalization, and punctuation are correct, then try reloading the page.

Collapse -
Please try the link again...
by John.Wilkinson / July 22, 2010 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: not work techtracker

Such errors are usually temporary glitches for valid pages, and that occurance may have simply been a result of the TechTracker version update that led to a redesign of the page. Try the link again and it should load successfully; if not, post back to let us know.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Unable to see techtracker results
by jjpocreva / June 23, 2011 9:39 PM PDT

I can't seem to be able to install techtracker and get any meaningful results.

Collapse -
Uninstall Tech Tracker
by ibobdylan / January 4, 2012 1:48 AM PST

How is it done. You fail to include that function, unless it was on purpose.

Collapse -
TechTracker Problem
by DarkDuck2 / March 11, 2010 10:45 AM PST

Seems everybody is having the same damn problem with this software...ya can't use the ****. Once you scan you find that are12 available updates, except you can't find what they are cause the freaking **** won't let you. But wait! "I'ts fee and safe to use..." It doesn't have **** to do with the browsers...I have tried several. Either the software that CNET provides on their website is corrupted...or CNET lied about it being "it's safe and it's free."

Collapse -
Great Idea, shame it wont work
by chopsy100 / July 22, 2010 6:07 PM PDT

Installed techtracker yesterday and it found 7 software items that had updates available. Great ! When I started my PC today techtracker informed me again that updates were available for 7 items. When I select any item from the right click list it takes me back to the techtracker download page. Ive re-installed and no change. I'm running windows 7. For info,Ive uninstalled and will try again in a couple of months when youve got the edges rubbed off.
p.s. Why can't you make the log-in etc icons smaller and maybe try hiding them a bit more, then I can use my telescope instead of the magnifying glass I'm having to use now.

Collapse -
A solution for your TechTracker results access problem.
by Nathan TT Support / July 23, 2010 4:44 AM PDT

Hello chopsy100,

In order to view your TechTracker software summary results, after you click on the TechTracker icon on your System Notification tray and select "Go to my CNET TechTracker page", you need to log into the website with your registered CNET e-mail address and the password you use for TechTracker.
This security feature protects you and your information.

Nathan
TechTracker Support

Collapse -
(NT) OK Thanks, I'll give it a go!!
by chopsy100 / July 25, 2010 2:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Now OK, except the update report is inaccurate.
by hhdawrs / September 1, 2010 3:04 PM PDT

Hi, Nathan:

Installed 8/31, 20:59 on WIN 7 Home Premium, but couldn't access the available updates to download, so I updated Firefox and Open Office from their specific sites.

At 18:44 today, your instructions here worked and I got the downloads site showing 12 out of date. Firefox and Open Office are reported incorrectly as outdated versions.

I quit Secunia for the same errors, plus other reasons.

Suggestions, please?

I'm new, so if you need more details or I am in the wrong thread, please holler.

Herb

Collapse -
When was your last update scan?
by John.Wilkinson / September 1, 2010 9:21 PM PDT

The most common cause of such issues is outdated scan results. Although you can view your scan results at any time by viewing the webpage, the results are only updated when you run a TechTracker update scan, be it manually or automatically. Setting TechTracker to run every 24 hours or running a manual scan before viewing the TechTracker page can help ensure the results are always up-to-date, eliminating those erroneous alerts.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
same problem
by jayanthi64 / July 27, 2010 11:17 PM PDT

registered in cnet. after scanning 23 updates are available. But when I click ' go to my cnet tech tracker page' nothing happens. How to proceed?

Collapse -
Please submit a request for help to TechTracker Support
by Nathan TT Support / July 30, 2010 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Hello,

The issue that you are experiencing is most likely something our tech support team can help you resolve. If you have not yet done so, please open a support ticket by doing the following:

Open the CNET customer service home page (http://cnet.custhelp.com).
Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
Enter your e-mail address.
In the "Category" section use the drop-down menu to select "CNET TechTracker".
When describing your issue, be sure to include an appropriate degree of detail.
Remember, providing clear a description and relevant information results in better and more useful advice. Helpful information includes: The version of the operating system your computer is running, any additional e-mail addresses you have registered with CNET, any specific errors encountered, and the steps you took just before you had the problem.

Use the submit button to send us the information.
A confirmation page with your ticket information should appear. When it does, copy or print the information for your records.

Regards,

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
CNET Technical Support can likely help you with this issue
by Nathan TT Support / September 2, 2010 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Hello,

The issue that you are experiencing is something our tech support team can help you resolve. If you have not yet done so, please open a support ticket by doing the following:

1. Open the CNET customer service home page (http://cnet.custhelp.com).
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter your e-mail address.
4. In the "Category" section, use the drop-down menu to select "CNET TechTracker" and then "TechTracker General".
5. Enter a subject for the message.
6. In the "Details" field, type in a thorough description of the issue that you are having.
When describing your issue, be sure to include an appropriate degree of detail.

Remember, providing clear a description and relevant information results in better and more useful advice. Helpful information includes: The specific Internet web browser you are using, any additional e-mail addresses you have registered with CNET, any specific errors encountered, and the steps you took just before you had the problem.

7. When you are finished, use the "Submit Question" button to send us the information.
8. After a confirmation page appears with your ticket information, copy or print the information for your records.

Regards,
Nathan
CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Cnet TechTracker v2.0
by Robert D Anderson / September 23, 2010 5:57 AM PDT

I have downloaded & installed CNET TechTracker v2.0. How do I register
it so I can use it?

Collapse -
No need to register...
by John.Wilkinson / September 23, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Cnet TechTracker v2.0

TechTracker Plus is a paid subscription service, but TechTracker is free and only requires a CNET membership, which you already have. After you download and install TechTracker, run a scan for updates. Once it completes, it will prompt you to follow a link to view your results; follow the link and sign into CNET if you have not already done so. Your computer will be automatically linked to your account and your updates automatically displayed.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
help me if u find out
by jatannen / July 30, 2011 6:22 AM PDT

having same problem cant find TechTracker home page

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove exposed email address on 07/30/2011 at 2:25 PM PT

Collapse -
Get update troubles!
by kittigger / February 1, 2012 2:26 PM PST
In reply to: help me if u find out

I am having the same problem! The updates won't install, it acts like it is frozen just does nothing along with the toolbar from TechTracker...very strange!

Collapse -
Cannot Get Updates
by jwitt001 / September 1, 2012 3:00 AM PDT

I have the same problem. I have updates available and click on "Get Updates" and nothing happens. I have disabled my software firewall. Running Windows 7, Home Premium, and using Chrome as the browser. Please advise how to fix.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.