Mac Applications forum

Rant

TechTracker for Mac - no more

by jerseyj69 / April 25, 2013 11:54 AM PDT

I can't believe with all their loyal Mac users that they would turn on us and turn off support for TechTracker on the Mac platform! Good grief!

Has anyone found any alternatives ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TechTracker for Mac - no more
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TechTracker for Mac - no more
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We apologize for the inconvenience here.
by CNETSupport / April 26, 2013 3:18 AM PDT

We have shared your feedback with the appropriate product managers.

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
This from CNET Customer Help
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 9:44 AM PDT

We apologize for the inconvenience here. - New!
by CNETSupport - 4/26/13 12:15 PM
In Reply to: No more Mac version by fernemer

For several years the predominant trend for Apple developers has been to distribute their software through the Mac App Store. At the same time, Apple's Mac App Store policies prohibit Download.com from offering our software through the store. As a result, we have seen our Mac users slowly but steadily decline as they begin to use the Apple ecosystem exclusively for their software needs. When the question came up about continuing to develop software for the Mac, we had to make a tough decision based on where we saw opportunity for our services in the future. We appreciate and strongly value the Mac user audience, and will continue to serve them through the Download.com site as we have for over 15 years.

Regards,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Collapse -
other prodcuts ?
by jerseyj69 / April 26, 2013 10:05 PM PDT

Sice you are lo longer competing for this type of serve one the Mac platform, are there othe types of products that can do this ?

Collapse -
why not
by jerseyj69 / April 26, 2013 10:07 PM PDT

what is the specif reasio has not alowed you to distrbute though the Apple's Mac Store ? I wish to bring an informed agrugment to Apple to change this policy in your case.

Collapse -
No more Mac verson
by Kicker / May 24, 2013 7:59 AM PDT

You wrote :We appreciate and strongly value the Mac user audience and will continue to serve them through the Download.com site, but, as I understand it, that site is for Windows only.

Collapse -
TechTracker going away
by mrtn242 / May 4, 2013 9:05 AM PDT

I have no answer or advice, just more discontent. Over half of my software on my computer was obtained here at download.com, and the TechTracker app has finally gotten all the bugs ironed out. I actually prefer looking for new software here over the Mac App Store.
I wish they would reconsider their decision and develop the Download app for Mac also.

Collapse -
found one
by jerseyj69 / May 4, 2013 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: TechTracker going away

so what's not right here ? yes, a lit of software goes through the App Store. Yes, a ton if software does not.

in switched to MacUpdate. it costs 20 a year and I would have considered a pay service from cnet.

interestingly, if your app requires the App Store they just ask you if you want to open the store app and get the update there. seems pretty simple, not sure why they couldn't have done something simililar.

I'm still very dissapointed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.