Site Feedback forum

Tech Tracker Scan Error (Reinstall does not solve)

by JLFitz / June 3, 2012 1:18 PM PDT

Have been getting this error message below for a couple of Months now. Have TechTracker on 3 PCs, its been running fine on the other two but on my primary work Laptop this is the message I keep seeing. I've already uninstalled TT and reinstalled it twice, but that does not solve the issue. The Link in the error message below doesn't provide help. I started searching for this issue and see it is common, and that "Clean Install" instructions were sent to another member with the same problem. Did that work? If not, what is the problem / solution? Since the issue is related to sending results to the server (CNET?), if I can somehow un-register this PC from TechTracker then add it to my account would that work? (Couldn't find ANY instructions for this but thought this might work.)

"An error occurred during the scan: Error submitting scan results to server.
Please try the scan again.

If available, TechTracker will show the last successful scan results.

If you continue to see this error please contact CNET TechTracker Support ( for further assistance."

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tech Tracker Scan Error (Reinstall does not solve)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tech Tracker Scan Error (Reinstall does not solve)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Clean install may help
by CNETSupport / June 7, 2012 6:49 AM PDT

Hi JLFitz,

Scan issues are most commonly caused by security settings interfering with TechTracker; as noted in the FAQ article you linked to, examples of this type of software include personal firewalls, proxy servers, ad-blockers, network security suites, scam- and malware-blockers, ISP-provided software, and browser add-ons. Additionally, local settings in your Internet Options or your Windows Firewall may prohibit a connection.

If you are reasonably sure that none of these are at fault, however, then a "clean install" can often fix the issue, as it involves getting rid of old registry entries for TechTracker (unlike a normal uninstall and re-install). To perform a clean install:

1. Completely uninstall TechTracker from your machine. If you need help with that, please see this page:

2. Clear your default browser's cache and cookies.

3. Completely exit/close out of all running instances of that browser.

4. Remove the registry entries for TechTracker from your computer by running this command (but please be very careful to only run this specific command, as making unwanted changes to your registry can cause serious problems on your machine; you may want to backup your machine beforehand just in case):

REG DELETE "HKCU\Software\CBS Interactive" /f

(Please note that if you do not see the "Run" command option in your Windows start menu, you can access it by pressing the Windows logo key on your keyboard and, while still holding down the Windows logo key, pressing the R key as well.)

5. Re-start your machine.

6. Open your browser and download TechTracker again from this location:

7. Once you have re-installed TechTracker, run another scan and then click the "Get Updates" button to go to your CNET TechTracker page.

In the event that performing a clean install still does not resolve the scanning issue, then it could potentially be related to some other software on your machine - for example, we have seen that Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 seems to be related to scanning issues on a number of Windows 7 machines. We are still working on fixing that particular problem, and will be happy to further troubleshoot your issue as well, if need be.

If you do need any further assistance, please contact us by submitting a support ticket:

1. Go to
2. Click on the "E-mail Support" tab.
3. Enter the e-mail address associated with your CNET TechTracker account.
4. Fill in the "Subject" and "Details" section with a description of your query or issue.
5. From the "Category" drop-down menu, choose the "CNET TechTracker" option.
6. Click the "Continue..." button.
7. Be sure to click the "Finish Submitting Question" button if none of the suggested links in the pop-up window help resolve your issue.

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
Tech Tracker Scan Error (Clean Install does not solve)
by JLFitz / June 29, 2012 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Clean install may help

Thanks for all the information, I use IO-Bit Uninstaller with the powerful scan feature so am able to clear any left over registry items when uninstalling a program. TechTracker always leaves one item behind in the Registry and I delete it. Tried a "Clean Install" before the prior post. Tried again after your reply and just now always with no other programs running and still have same problem. Nothing on this PC has changed except trying to keep things updated, and I run Firefox in Privacy mode only. TechTracker was convenient when it worked, but since it no longer does I've deleted it for good. Funny it works on the other two PC's with no problem, and they're all set up the same. You've definitely got a bug in there somewhere. If you figure out what it is, let me know because I would like to use it again. By the way the link provided in the error message still doesn't provide any help.

Collapse -
Tech Tracker Scan Error (Clean Install does not solve)
by Sasipos / June 30, 2012 11:15 AM PDT

I have the same issue - and I do have VS 2010 - it was working fine, then one day I started getting the scan error - let me know when you fix it - your program is great when it works.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.