Windows Vista forum

General discussion

tcpmon.ini problems?

by CesiaS / July 18, 2008 1:33 PM PDT

I'm trying to troubleshoot installation of SP1 on my Dell Vista Premium PC, error 0x800F0826.I run sfc /scannow and the CBS.log has the following entry

Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini"; source file in store is also corrupted gives a link to a registry scan - is it safe to proceed? Can I somehow simply replace the file?

I did search the web for tcpmon.ini problems , it seems to happen to other people as well, but I cannot find any solutions

Thank you

WinVista Premium
McAfee Security Centre, BoClean ( uninstalled at the moment), Firefox, MailwasherPro, Eudora,SpywareBlaster,
SPI router

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tcpmon.ini problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tcpmon.ini problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: tcpmon.ini problems? notes a pair of services that must be running. Also, your antivirus can interfere with that install. Your choice here but I've grown tired of the failures so I uninstall that during the SP1 install. Reinstall after.
Collapse -
success at last
by CesiaS / July 18, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

Thank you Bob. I followed the procedure as outlined in ( before your post I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to follow his suggestions) , uninstalled McAfee and SpywareBlaster and successfully installed SP1

Question now- should I return Window Event Collector and Windows Module Installer to their original settings?

Thanks again

Collapse -
Why were they disabled?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: success at last

Since it's needed for updates why would we disable them?

Collapse -
by CesiaS / July 19, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

original settings on my PC were
Windows Event Collector - Start up type was-"manual" ; now Start up type is set to-"Automatic", Status- started

Windows Module Installer reverted by itself back to "manual"

Collapse -
I wonder...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: settings

HP and others are known for this TINKERING of the stock settings you get with the install of the Retail Vista. You can find too many posts about failures on this...

Collapse -
new Dell
by CesiaS / July 19, 2008 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I wonder...

Mine is a 4 months old Dell, (Quad processor), that came with Vista Premium and McAfee. I was under the impression when searching the net that a lot of Dell users have problems with SP1, but did not investigate this enough to be sure

WinVista Premium,
McAfee Security Centre, BoClean , Firefox, MailwasherPro, Eudora,SpywareBlaster,
SPI router

Collapse -
And yes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2008 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: new Dell

Another maker that is known to tinker with stock settings...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.