Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Taskbar changed location-moved to top of screen

by ron-dor / February 6, 2011 4:17 AM PST

Hi guys,
Can't understand why, but my whole taskbar (START+QUICK LAUNCH+LANG+ start-up apps) decided that it's better for it to be above all, and moved itself to the top of the screen.
Any idea how i convince it to return to its natural location at the bottom? ;-))
I use Win XP on IBM laptop
TNX

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taskbar changed location-moved to top of screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taskbar changed location-moved to top of screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 4:26 AM PST

Firstly right click the Taskbar and make sure it is not locked.

Then point to any empty part of the Taskbar, left click and hold down, then 'drag' it to the bottom of the screen. If that works, right click and lock it.

Does anyone else use this computer? If so, I would ask them if they know hw it got moved to the top. Happy

Mark

Collapse -
The taskbar is at the top...
by daptodog / February 13, 2011 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Try this.

where it should be!! [It was probably me who moved it there for you] - why not leave it and see how much easier everything is once you get used to the new location.... I remember years ago that some Apple fanatic recommended this location - I tried it and agreed! As already said a simple right-click on a vacant part of the taskbar will reveal a menu - just untick the 'lock the taskbar' then clisk & drag to move it where you want then re-lock it .. Simple!

Collapse -
Right click on the taskbar and from the main menu....
by VAPCMD / February 6, 2011 4:27 AM PST

designate the 'TASKBAR Location'

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Re: Taskbar changed location-moved to top of screen
by Tufenuf / February 6, 2011 9:09 AM PST

ron-dor, The video at the link below should be of some help.

How do I move my Windows XP taskbar back to the bottom of the screen? (Video)
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_windows_xp_taskbar_back_to_the_bottom_of_the_screen_video.html

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Tnx a lot! The trick was..
by ron-dor / February 6, 2011 3:13 PM PST

Mark, VAPCMD, Tufnuf,
The solution was as you suggested -- left click and drag. The trick was that it only worked when pointing to the empty part below the START button but not to any other empty part!!!
Tnx again

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 6, 2011 7:30 PM PST

and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Collapse -
Taskbar changed
by pegpluscol / February 11, 2011 1:36 PM PST

Whenever you have problems try WIndows 'Help'
In this case enter: Move taskbar. What follows will be the following answer:

To move the taskbar
Right-click the taskbar.
On the menu that appears, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.
The taskbar is now unlocked. You can drag the taskbar to a new location on the desktop.

You may have acquired a habit of clicking the mouse
at places other than intended. This could have brought about your problem. Doing this on an internet page could also cause you to end up elsewhere.

Collapse -
Taskbar changed location.
by pegpluscol / February 11, 2011 1:49 PM PST

You may have acquired a habit of clicking the mouse at odd spots on the desktop. Doing this on a web page could end you up elsewhere.
Try using Windows 'Help' when you have prolems.
Here is the answer you will get if you type in 'Move taskbar':

"To move the taskbar
Right-click the taskbar.
On the menu that appears, click Lock the Taskbar to clear the check mark.
The taskbar is now unlocked. You can drag the taskbar to a new location on the desktop."

Also be very careful pressing a combination of keys. You could also end up with an inverted screen, which Windows does not have advice on correcting.
I too, learnt the hard way, but luckily corrected it.

Collapse -
Keystrokes
by FiOS-Dave / February 12, 2011 12:01 AM PST

Some keystrokes are assigned to specific functions on a particular hardware setup.
For example, inverting the screen, or rotating it into portrait mode (to simulate an eBook reader, for example). Since these are NOT controlled by the OS, Microsoft Help won't help! Instead, read the documentation on youir particular hardware.
THere are some applications that can also remap keys for various functions, such as assigning "hot keys" or locking out the Caps Lock function.

Collapse -
Taskbar location
by Silvertop / February 11, 2011 9:25 PM PST

Right Click on the taskbar - select Properties - then change the location. Easy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.