Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Task/Project Man. Software w/ templates w/ premade dates

by molloywi / April 30, 2013 1:20 AM PDT

Hey All,

I've been digging through and trying dozens of trials on task and project management software looking for something that fits our needs. Want to see if you can help:

To put what we do simply: I get assigned projects multiple times a week with each project taking about 10 days each. The cool thing is almost every project has the same 20 tasks.

Thus I'm looking for task management software that would allow me to create templates WITH premade timelines for each task within the project.

That is to say every time I make a new project from said template I can simply title the project and then put a start (or end) date and all the tasks within the project will automatically spread out with due dates based on the predetermined amount of time it takes to do each task.

To put it one more way to be clear: I would make a new project from template, title it "Federal Bid", and then put a start date of 4/30/13. Thinking in terms of GANTT charts and critical paths (though we don't need anything nearly as complex) the tasks within the project would set their due dates accordingly:
- Project start 4/30/13
- RFQ's (Predetermined to take 3 days to complete, thus due date would be set to 5/2/13)
- RFQ Followup (Predetermined to take 1 day AFTER "RFQ's", so it's due date would be 5/3/13).
- Estimate creation (Predetermined to take 1 day and can be done concurrently with "RFQ Followup" so it's due date is 5/3/13).

Etc., etc., etc.....

I have experience with MS Project but that clearly would be overkill. I have found lots of simpler task management software out there that allows template creation or ability to "copy" projects but it always comes down to having to manually put in due dates. With 10+ projects being assigned each week and 20 tasks per project it seems like it would take too much time out of my day to manually put in due dates.

Let me know if this problem makes sense to anyone and you have a suggestion.

Thanks for taking the time!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Task/Project Man. Software w/ templates w/ premade dates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Task/Project Man. Software w/ templates w/ premade dates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 1:25 AM PDT

If this is that simple, a spreadsheet? To start a new one you just Save As the new one and then enter in the new date and your formulas do the rest.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Just a thought
by molloywi / April 30, 2013 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

Thanks Bob, I guess I lied, that's not all I want... Happy

Was hoping to be able to get this with a PM/TM software that would give me calendar view or integration with Google Calendars. That actual point of all this is not so much to keep track of what I need to do (already have that going in excel) but to be able to see particularly busy/light days in the week(s) ahead and adjust the tasks accordingly.

With so many projects being dumped on me lately I'm finding that some days I'm absolutely swamped with tasks across multiple projects while other days I'm completely dead. Had I known I would have spread out my busy day and done some of those lower priority tasks on the light day.

Catch my drift?

FYI I'm an excel freak and this is the first time in my life I don't want to use excel haha

Collapse -
I would not have guessed that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Just a thought

However at the office we are tinkering with https://cloud.google.com/products/

But while a spreadsheet came close to your first post, what you added in your reply moved it from a spreadsheet to a custom app.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Task/Project Man. Software
by DaleTallman77 / May 31, 2013 2:22 PM PDT

We're using Latitude project management software and we find its task module a time saver since it can copy the same tasks/subtasks details from one job to another. You can also link timesheets, quotes, invoices and reports to a client or a project. You can request for a free live demo of Latitude. Just visit their website, Latibiz.com.

Collapse -
Answer
Project templates.
by Jacobsamuels / August 8, 2013 6:36 PM PDT

Trying out project feasibility template will help you I guess. This project feasibility templates helps in various ways. Following are its benefits:
1) Helps in defining problems, opportunities and alternative solutions.
2) Defining various different aspects of project like financial, functional etc.
3) Helps in analyzing various proposal.
4) Auto number documentation sections.
5) Helps in wide number of different projects.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.