Computer Help forum

General discussion

TASK MASTER----I have 59 programs running on startup .......

by gottanew1 / July 18, 2007 2:01 AM PDT

.....My screen comes up in about a minute so thats good .
However my Kernal memory is 31K total
21.5 Paged
8.5 Non paged.
I've been having 'slow' problems and CD writing trouble. Also when I try to do Photo work I get a message that "there isn't enough memory to complete this task"
Virus scan shows clear.
HP Pavillion 061......XP2800...XP2 Home edition....Local disc.74.53/51.53free....512RAM/available memory 90K

Does anyone see a problem?
Can I clear the task master and hope the system will boot what it needs or what????

Note: About every 10th time the CD will write. Could this be related or do you think it's a separate problem?

Thanks all,
Art

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: TASK MASTER----I have 59 programs running on startup .......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: TASK MASTER----I have 59 programs running on startup .......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Eliminate Some Of Them...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 18, 2007 2:35 AM PDT

First, run a good antispyware program to make sure there aren't any trojans trying to phone home. Then uninstall unneeded programs from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section.. Then eliminate unnecessary startup programs and services from running at boot.. Click on the link below and follow the instructions..

First, make sure you have no spyware which is slowing things down. Please download, install, update, then run the free spyware removal programs from the links below:

?Spybot Search & Destroy? Spyware Removal Tool

AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

Next, follow ALL of the steps in the instructions below. Shut down unnecessary start up programs and services, PLUS delete all the junk files from the computer. It may take a while to perform all the procedures, but it will help the machine run and boot quicker:

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Now clean out the junk files:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Since you're using Service Pack 2 on Windows XP, use the instructions in this link to tidy up a little more:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problem With Deleting Files
by praglen / April 20, 2008 6:50 PM PDT

Sorry, Griff, but on your easy to follow cleaning unwanted files from the hard drive, I ran into "Error Deleting File: Cannot delete file: Cannot read from thesource file" when I selected all and tried to delete all.
Solution?

Collapse -
Re: can't delete file.
by Kees Bakker / April 20, 2008 7:00 PM PDT

What exactly is that file (or are that files) that you can't delete? Just try to delete as much as you can, and post which ones you can't.

Kees

Collapse -
Files Unable to Delete
by praglen / April 20, 2008 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: can't delete file.

I deleted most of them. Here are the others:

All are temp files:

nsdA; svbo9; svi50; ~DFE9FC; ~DFEA11; ~DFF400; ~DFF42C
All in Folder C:\Docs and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp

is17; is19;(temp)
ZLT01c0a;ZLT01c14 (C:\Windows\Temp)

Collapse -
They're Files Being Used..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 21, 2008 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Files Unable to Delete

...while in normal Windows and as such, they can't be deleted.. That's normal.. First, the two "ZLT01..." files your mentioned are two that will always be there when ZoneAlarm is running.. That's not a problem..

The same goes for the other files that are undeletable.. They are files which are placed there during the running of one program or the other.. You should be able to delete them if you restart the computer into Safe Mode.. In fact, many wont' be there while in Safe Mode because the associated program isn't running..

Some of the programs which are creating those temporary files can be shut down because they are unnecessary by eliminating them from the "Services" list or from "msconfig".. Others, such as the "ZL" files need to be there for the program to function correctly..

It's your choice which path to take.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Slight Correction
by praglen / April 21, 2008 10:16 PM PDT

I tried to reply to Alex's help with Tidying Up After Installing SP2, but that forum was locked.
I couldn't get to Disk Cleanup using Start/All Programs...etc. The way I got there was to go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Managemtn/Disk Management/Disk Cleanup, etc. There is no More Optionsin XP after Disk Cleanup. It just starts scanning.

Also, I couldn't find the large folder, thru startup or search(C///Download) Or the other large folder(C...ServicePackFiles). Other than that, I was able to remove tons of temps.

Collapse -
That's A Good Start.. And Did You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 22, 2008 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Slight Correction

... disable all the unnecessary startup programs and services?.. Those are the items that will reduce the "59 programs running at startup" which were listed by the original poster in this thread...

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I Did..
by praglen / April 22, 2008 4:18 PM PDT

and only have 10 programs on the desktop, having eliminated most non-essential programs from the PC. It is faster, but not as fast as I'd like. Wish you could help with those big folders I mentioned as not being able to bring up.

Collapse -
Those Folders Are Frequently Not There..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2008 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: I Did..

The "Service Pack 2" folder won't be there if the preinstalled version of Windows XP already had SP2 included.. It will only be there if you had an older version of XP and installed SP2 later..

Likewise with the C:\Downloads folder.. It's not always there because of the specific configuration of your computer..

Since you can't access "Disk Cleanup" in the normal manner, it is possible to eliminate all of the space taken up by System Restore if you really need to.. FIRST, make sure you computer has no problems because you're going to eliminate all Restore points.. Once that's done, RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties", then click on the System Restore tab. Place a CHECK mark in the "Turn Off System Restore" box, then click on "Apply", then OK.. When that's done, restart the computer and change it back by UNCHECKING the box.. You'll notice that you've gained a great deal of space.. It is a TEMPORARY thing though.. Eventually, System Restore will create more restore points and use more space.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
A couple more things worth doing.
by caktus / July 18, 2007 7:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Griff and Charlie
by gottanew1 / July 19, 2007 1:32 AM PDT

Thanks to both of you so much.
I' working on your suggestions from top to bottem.
My units working "cleaner" but still have CD problem....silly ?.....is it possible I don't have a CD writer? My info on properties says..HL DT ST RW/dvd GCC 4481bB
Thanks again fo info I can understand.

Art

Collapse -
'About every 10th time the CD will write
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 19, 2007 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Griff and Charlie

If the CD burner EVER writes correctly, then you clearly HAVE a CD writer.. ON the other hand, if it only writes correctly every 10th time, then you may have a bad burner..

You also didn't mention which CD burning software you are using.. Let us know.. Roxio? Nero? Something else?

Either way, if you have good software and the burner isn't functioning like it should, I would invest in a new DVD burner.. They're cheap...Can be replaced easily... and you would then be able to burn DVD's as well as CDs.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
My info says "ROXIO"
by gottanew1 / July 19, 2007 1:59 AM PDT

My initial thought was a bad thingy somewhere but thats not my expertise, that's why I'm here to get the best .

I assume I should get an external unit so I don't have to mess with the guts. Will the current one continue to try to work or is there a way to effectively disable it as in 'installed spftware' ?

Collapse -
RE: the guts
by caktus / July 19, 2007 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: My info says "ROXIO"

Actually it is very simple and safe to change drive hardware (CD,DVD,Hard drive even.) The new drive will come with installation instructions. And will most likely include phone, online and email tech support who will be more than happy to walk you through the process. Or you can always come to the forum for installation help. Just a few popular brands are Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital. They can be found at many electronics and department stores such as Best Buy, Radio Shack, Circuit city and such. Mabe even Walmart. A fixed/interior model may even cost less than an external.

Will the current drive keep working on occasion may be anyone's guess.

Charlie

Collapse -
If i replace my existin CD?dvd Rom............
by gottanew1 / July 19, 2007 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: the guts

.how can I know if if the problem is in the unit or in the program for the unit or worst case , in the windows program ?
A windows wizard appears when I try to write and when it fails gives me a message like ...'writing error occurred, cannot complete. or similar .
the tag reads.......CD-RW/DVD-ROM DRIVE
This unit should 'write' to cd and dvd........corrct?
Is there any test I can do o see whats happening? The computer tells me that 'this is working properly'
can I trust that?
Or should I go buy and install a new one ($60) with cd

Every thing else you guys have gven me has been right on the money, not sure what you're talking about but I'm a good follower.
Thanks again
Art

Collapse -
Personally, It's Too Cheap And Easy To Replace It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 19, 2007 9:57 AM PDT

I watch for sales in our local advertisements and can frequently find an internal DVD+/- dual-layer burner for under $50.. There really aren't any tests other than standard troubleshooting and as long as the computer can "see the drive, it will tell you it's "working properly". (Unfortunately, "working properly" doesn't mean much.) You could try a different brand of blank CD disc.. Some drives are picky about which disc they use.. But primarily, if you start having troubles with the current drive, start receiving "write errors", and you can no longer depend on it to create flawless backups, it's time for a new one.

I also prefer the internal burners.. They're cheaper and generally faster and easy to replace.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Also....
by caktus / July 19, 2007 10:57 AM PDT

it's like driving a car with bad breaks in the since that all you can do is hope for the best, and expect the unexpected when you least expect it. Sad

Charlie

Collapse -
Guess it's time to play mechanic......................
by gottanew1 / July 19, 2007 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Also....

.............I'll keep changing parts until it works then I'll buy a new one!
Thanks again for everything-learned a lot.
Let you know what happened.
Art

Collapse -
RE: Roxio ....what version do you have ?
by VAPCMD / July 19, 2007 11:05 PM PDT

Believe you have to have Roxio version 6 or greater to work with WIN XP
OS.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
VAPCMD,, Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3.5 Is Supported on XP
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 2:42 AM PDT

...although you're right, Roxio ECDC 6 works better.. There are updates at the Roxio site for the 5.0 version which will make it XP compatible.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Replacing CD/DVD unit............
by gottanew1 / July 25, 2007 12:44 AM PDT

.........Purchasing a new unit today. Sony reads and writes cd/dvd's.#50.seems fair.
I can download to other disc on my computer , the SD slot and FD (fuji card ) slot but the download is in PDF form . I can't read them back in the cameras because I guess I need a JPG file type. Am I correct in assuming that?.
Is there a way to change to JPG ??
Also I had GIMP loaded and it seems to have taken over everything so I uninstalled it, could that have any effect on the files, ie does gimp work in PDF or did that come from somewhere else.
As you've probably realized by now I have no idea whats going on and the more ZI learn the less I know. But I keep reading and entering and watching this site and hopefully I'll figure out something sometime.

Thanks again for your well needed help.
Art

Collapse -
PDF file
by 4Denise / April 21, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

A PDF file is not an image file, as jpg is. It can contain images, but that is not its primary purpose.

To open a PDF file you need Adobe Reader, which is likely to already be on your computer. It will not be on a camera because a camera is for image files only.

If the file is on your computer, double click it and see if it opens.

4denise

Collapse -
Memory Cards 'Store' Data...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 25, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

..and it will store the data in what ever form you place there. If you want to store a pdf file it will be saved on the card that way.. If you save a Word document, it will be saved as a .doc file, etc.. ON the other hand, cameras will only create specific file types as pictures.. (You're correct that .jpg is one of the common file types most cameras use.) If you're downloading a .pdf file, it can be stored on the memory card but the camera won't be able to use it if you move the memory card from the computer to the camera.

Good luck with the replacement drive..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Memory card.........
by gottanew1 / July 25, 2007 9:18 AM PDT

The last posting started...............and it will store the data in whatever form you paced it there. Did I miss part of this??
Anyway I understand what you said. I would prefer that my photos be in jpg form and not pdf because if I take them to a commercial print place to have them printed they won't read a pdf file format.
Don't even know where to begin with that, converting pdf back to jpg files for "My Pictures" and also photo editing. Been going thru all the boxes I can check but I'm lost.

Also I bought a 52X CD-DVD & 16X DVD-ROM............It seemed to install OK and will play a cd and dvd but....when I try to to copy to the .'SEND TO ' box doesn't show a D drive which is where the CD/DVD is on my computer............
Will get back later.Now my puters freezing up when I try to go to cd again. Adobe 8 has been downlosding for the last hour and the time says it has 1:47 to go so I'm going to let it do it's thing and see if that clears up anything then try a restore.
Thanks again.Art

Collapse -
New CD/DVD Instal
by gottanew1 / July 26, 2007 6:11 AM PDT

Every things working now!!!!! For what ever reason the pdf files went back to jpg and a lot of other stuff cleared up. Between your fine help and a new unit I can now back-up to CD my programs and files, won't have to wait for a fatal crash to loose all.
The unit is a LITON 52XCD-DVD&16XDVD-ROM
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP, I'M HAPPY NOW
Art

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.