Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Task: dial-up internet via mobile phone using call back

by wertamaki / March 30, 2009 5:02 PM PDT

what i wish:
1. connect to internet using my mobile phone's dial-up MODEM (not GPRS/WAP/etc),
2. the connection should be established after ISP's call-back.

what I have:
1. PC,
2. mobile phone (Samsung D600) with free incoming calls,
3. USB cable

what I managed so far:
1. connect the phone to PC,
2. dial the ISP number and pass authorization

what is the problem:
1. ISP is initiating a call-back, but mobile phone not responding to it.

SOLUTION???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Task: dial-up internet via mobile phone using call back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Task: dial-up internet via mobile phone using call back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 11:18 PM PDT

That's going to be tough as almost no phone made today has a modem for dial up any more and no one has plugs to go to the PC modem.

I looked at the d600 "spec" and found no dial up modem in the phone. Can you share what spec lead you to believe there was a dial up modem in there?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_d600-1103.php
Bob

Collapse -
connection established BUT ...
by wertamaki / April 1, 2009 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow.

Thank you for prompt reply,

"luckily" my phone is quite an old one (2006) to have a modem inside. Actually, after my last post I was able to connect to ISP, though without a callback.

I established a standard connection (in XP: Network connection > Create a new connection), entered login and password, hit connect. Mobile phone dialed the number, ISP checked password and I got connected, though with only 9.6 Kbit/sec Sad Another attempt with another ISP yielded the same slow 9.6 Kbit/sec.

But when I tried to use call-back, everything went smooth (dialing number, checking & confirming password, initiating call-back from ISP) until ISP calls my phone. The phone can't "identify" ISP's call. It just keeps ringing, and if I press green button on phone, no sound, no action.

Normal landline phone would ring twice and PC's internal modem answer the call (remember that squeaky modem sound?) and connection established.

So now, the task shrinks to "how to make Samsung D600 answer incoming call-back from ISP"? Otherwise, getting connected does not make sense, since I have only incoming calls free.

p.s. what about connection speed? is 9.6 Kbit/sec maximum I can get?
modem parameters show whopping maximum connection speed of 460 Kbit/sec.

Collapse -
9600 baud sounds right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2009 9:52 PM PDT

We don't have the analog bandwidth so modem speed would drop.

As to the dial back, I can't find any documentation to support what you want to do. Let's call that a dead end.

To get past that dead end, find the documentation for the phone and the modem commands that would enable auto answer.

-> Remember that I can't find this documentation. So it's all up to you now.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Call ISP tech support?
by Coryphaeus / March 30, 2009 11:18 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.