Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Takeover by Glary

by charmersmom / March 5, 2012 6:23 AM PST

Glary search has taken over my computer. I have defaulted to Google but when searching in the address line, a Glary address preceeds the search. I have gone into my change/delete programs in the Start menu and can't even find Glary to uninstall it. Help!!!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Takeover by Glary
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Takeover by Glary
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Charming
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2012 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Takeover by Glary

Charming. One more reason to add to the list of why people should avoid that program like a leper with the plague.

The first thing I would suggest, and I'm sure others will be along shortly with others, is to run some LEGITIMATE malware removing programs. Adaware, spybot, malwarebytes, and anything that comes with the big name AV company products. Odds are one of them will manage to sniff out the problems and get rid of it.

For the future, programs like Glary Utilities should be avoided at all cost. Any program that claims to be this magical cure for some huge laundry list of problems, is probably made by a company trying to prove PT Barnum right when he said there was a sucker born every minute. So avoid all registry related programs, programs that basically claim to be a panacea for pretty much any problem, programs that claim they will speed up your computer, that sort of thing.

Collapse -
Good Suggestion
by charmersmom / March 6, 2012 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Charming

Thanks for your suggestion. It's also good advice not to add Glary. I wouldn't have added it. I took my computer in to the local computer fix it shop for virus removal and it came home with the program.

Collapse -
In that case
by Jimmy Greystone / March 6, 2012 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: Good Suggestion

In that case, I'd say feel free to name and shame the place you took it to right here and now. Maybe someone else within the same geographic region as you will see it and be warned off from going to that place.

Any repair shop that puts a program like that on a customer's computer doesn't deserve to be in business IMO. Either because they're stupid enough to think that program actually does anything useful, they are hoping it causes problems to drum up repeat business, or they're getting some kind of kickback on every install. Any one of those three possibilities, along with any others I may have overlooked, are all extremely good reasons why that business does not deserve to be in business.

Collapse -
Try what these people ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 5, 2012 12:16 PM PST
Collapse -
Glary too insidious
by charmersmom / March 6, 2012 2:16 AM PST

Tried the last suggestion in Internet Options. Didn't work. Thanks anyway!

Collapse -
Sharing the Takeover pain
by epayne49 / March 21, 2012 7:31 AM PDT

Same thing happened here. I had used Glary Pro as an ancillary registry cleaner for a year, but the new update hijacked Google even when I explicitly (I thought) declined this kind offer. Turns out Glary had gone usurped Google as my default home page in FireFox. Undid this but the next day Glary came right back. So I removed the damn thing using Revo.

What is discouraging is CNET lists Glary as the most popular download in System Utility category. I hope somehow the message can filter up that Glary has clearly gone over to the dark side of the force.

Still, it was nice to get confirmation of what I experienced.

Collapse -
Sharing the pain
by charmersmom / March 21, 2012 12:24 PM PDT

Was the removal successful? I deleted it but it's still there. Would Revo be able to find it and get the rest out? Thanks for posting!!!

Collapse -
However...
by epayne49 / March 21, 2012 1:28 PM PDT

Charmersmom:

However, even AFTER I removed the Glary Pro utilities software I found it still existed as the default search engine for all 3 of my browsers (Firefox, Google Chrome, and IE8). So I had to go back and remove it from all 3 browsers. Of course, each browser has its own way of accomplishing this task. But since this was done, Glary has not re-appeared. Apparently this wooden stake has done its work. If you are still hung, let me know which browser you are using and I'll post instructions for removal.

Collapse -
Would love the secret!
by charmersmom / March 22, 2012 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: However...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Yes! I'm not a techno-file. Please, please would love the secret sauce! I use Google Chrome, mostly, but have Internet Explorer and FireFox installed as well.

Thanks so much!!

Collapse -
Removal of Glary as default search engine
by epayne49 / March 22, 2012 4:34 AM PDT

Charmersmom:

I used Revo to remove Glary Utilities Pro. Revo requires you to hand select certain leftover files and folders but correctly located the ones associated with Glary. This removal, as noted, did NOT remove the Glary search engine, which had assigned itself default status in each browser. Here are the instructions for removal. Worked for me; hope it does for you.

FireFox:
1. Click on the icon of the default search engine on the right side of Firefox toolbar (not the magnifying glass but the icon itself).
2. This will produce a drop down menu displaying all search engines.
3. Click on "Manage search engines"
4. Click on the rogue search engine and then click on the "Remove" button

Google Chrome
1. Click on the wrench icon on the right side of Google Chrome the toolbar
2. This will produce a drop down menu of tools
3. Click on "Options"
4. When the "Options" menu appears, click on "Manage search engines" (to the right of "Search")
5. Move your mouse cursor over the rogue search engine. When you do a blue bar appears with an "X" on the right end. Click on the "X" to remove the rogue search engine. Move mouse cursor to the preferred search engine an click "Made default."

Internet Explorer
1. Click on the down arrow to the immediate right of magnifying glass icon on right side of Internet Explorer toolbar.
2. Click on "Manager search providers"
3. Click on the rogue search engine and click "Remove" button
4. Click on desire search engine and click "Set as default"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.