Android forum

by jpd1944 / October 22, 2012 8:06 PM PDT

please help me choose a 7inch dual camera android for about 120english pounds, i am not techno clever and every time i see something i might like, c-net comments put me off, because i am looking to much into this should i really worry to much. i thank you for your time and assistance.JOHN.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: tabletpurchase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: tabletpurchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Given the requirements.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2012 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: tabletpurchase

What 120 English pound tablets have you found that met your needs? I can't shop in your country but would write you want to avoid those no-name models.

And why not the Google pad?

Collapse -
Wow !!!
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 23, 2012 11:36 AM PDT

That is a heavy tablet. Do you need a forklift to move it ??

Collapse -
tablet choice
by jpd1944 / October 23, 2012 11:06 PM PDT

hi, thankx 4 answering my query-tablets i have looked at are many, so i forget most of them-anyway a brief look,
sorry i cannot be more helpful right now, but i do value your advice-maybe you have a few ideas.i dont mind if i have to purchase from usa -or-uk. upto the value of about 120gbpounds-190usdollar. thanks again, JOHN.

Collapse -
Nice list. But.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: tablet choice

The ONDA is another one for those that like disposable units. The Streak struck out from what we see here. It's on firesale sites so get it cheap and don't whine about it.

Collapse -
tablet choice
by jpd1944 / October 24, 2012 8:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice list. But.

hi bob, will have another look at the streak, i am taking a fancy to [AINOL NOVO 7 FIRE -FLAME]
should i bother, please remember i am not at all techno or computer wise.i still seek your advice and look foreward to hearing from you. as they say in the usa-[have a nice day] JOHN.

Collapse -
Re: Ainol
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 8:46 PM PDT

That's just one of those Chinese makes, like the Onda.

Your choice might be based on things like:
- size
- weight
- looks (including color)
- screen (display quality, quality of touch)
- version of Android it comes with
- price
- local support and warranty
- performance (speed)
- battery time (how many hours without connecting to the mains)

Don't hesitate too much. It's only a gadget. It will be outdated in 3 months, and you'll use it 2 years before buying a new one.

Collapse -
ainol novo
by jpd1944 / October 24, 2012 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ainol

hi, can!t you sleep```` anyway thanks for that info, right now i am becoming brain dead deciding what to buy.
so many makes&models i dont know what to buy. thankx again, JOHN.

Collapse -
Re: what to buy
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 24, 2012 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: ainol novo

Deciding what tablet to buy is much easier than deciding what car to buy or what house to buy. Those are much more expensive and have a much longer life.

Given both the price and the expected lifespan it's more like deciding what shoes to buy. Even better: if you find after a month you made the wrong choice you can get at least half of the price back by selling it second hand. That's more difficult with shoes you already used for a month Wink .

Hope you make the right choice.

Collapse -
new tablet
by jpd1944 / October 25, 2012 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: what to buy

before i buy a new car/shoes at least i can see-touch&test drive before paying out any money.
because no names of what might be okay for me are mentioned it looks like i may give this idea of a
new toy a miss. i appreciate all your help,JOHN.

Collapse -
That means.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2012 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: new tablet

You need to find such in shops or in a friend's hands.

I'm a bit lucky in that our office is writing Android apps and we see a lot of tablets. This has lead me to write I would never consider any no-name tablet to be a good idea most of the time. Yes we have a few but support and repair is non-existent so you know that going in and here, we have places to responsibly recycle them.

Collapse -
I like the shoes analogy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2012 12:37 AM PDT

If you go for those no-name units, it's like a pair of cheap shoes that don't feel quite right. At least it was cheap.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.