Tablets

Question

Tablet vs e-reader

by Connor_Bav / December 9, 2012 3:15 AM PST

Hi all it's my first post so hi!

I'm 16 years old and a college student and recently I had an issues with my Kindle so it is getting replaced free of charge. I only have the 4th gen one and having no backlight really annoys me... I'm definitely selling it when it arrives but I don't know if I should go and buy a Kobo Glo/Kindle Paperwhite or a tablet, all will be the same price but I don't know what to go for.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which I use for emailing and well, most things and I can only see a tablet as a bigger version of it, it will be a nicer viewing experience but I can only see myself not getting that much use out of it because it will be easier just to crack out my phone. The tablet will do what my phone is just it's bigger which has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Your opinions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet vs e-reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet vs e-reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This one is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Tablet vs e-reader

A college student would get a laptop and they would not need the e-reader.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by Connor_Bav / December 9, 2012 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: This one is easy.

I have a laptop I use but I don't bother bringing it to college with me, I enjoy reading and think that the tablet won't be that well suited to it and will be more like a luxury device?

Collapse -
Because of our office porting apps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

I can play and use many models folk ask about. I have the new Kindle Fire HD, Asus Transformer with keyboard and the Nexus 7 with a keyboard as well as others. The latest crop of tablets are very nice but do not replace a laptop for college work.
Bob

Collapse -
What about these two?
by Connor_Bav / December 9, 2012 6:12 AM PST

I'm thinking of getting the Fire (not the HD) but people say it's not as good as ordinary tablets due to limitations. I rarely bother watching movies and if I do I would watch them on Netflix at home because I don't travel all that often, in the house I will use a laptop and smartphone and at college I can use the computers there or if needs be I can take my laptop there. I like to play games like Angry Birds etc and most of what Android offers but the smartphone does that decently enough. All I can imagine is that with a tablet it would just be overkill. I had an iPod Touch with an older phone I had and eventually that was just gathering dust and I'm worried having a tablet would be the same... I could read books on a tablet but with all the other uses the battery wouldn't last me long enough. I'm really tied between a Pipo Smart-S1 and a Kobo Glo. I've managed without a tablet all this time so why would getting one now be worth it?

Collapse -
Let me share.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: What about these two?

My brother has the Fire, I have the Fire HD for reasons given. Get the HD.

What limitation are you writing about? It has many of the same apps you get since app writers are "all in" on the KF.

The two models you noted are off the main stream and if you pay 99 bucks then no heartbreaker.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe just the e-reader
by Connor_Bav / December 9, 2012 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Let me share.

My brother is waiting for his tablet to arrive and I might see what he thinks of it because personally I think having a tablet will just be a waste when I have my smartphone. I do like to read!

Collapse -
My KF HD is very nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 8:21 AM PST

I got the HDMI connected to the HDTV and it's great to see they have figured out full 1080p HD playback without all the issues I've seen over the years. Amazon really nailed that model. I added a "Roo" case that has it turn on when I open and off when I close it.

Get a demo as this is a very nice tablet.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
So whats the question?
by Mindstyle06 / December 14, 2012 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: Tablet vs e-reader

Honestly, I am not very clear of your question but here are my 2 cents.

I have all of the gadgets you mentioned and use it regularly.

e-book reader, solely for reading epubs. My actual idea was I could read scientific research articles on it but it doesn't work well so I read ebooks on porcelain throne and on the train to work.

Tablet (Motorola Xoom), primarily used for reading scientific articles using iAnnotatePDF app (yes, their android version is free, grab it ASAP). When home or when I am absolutely tired/bored, it is used for playing some games. And of course, the other regular stuff like RSS feeds, emails and regular early morning coffee stuff.

Laptop is used primarily when I have loads to type or the stuff that I can not do on the tablet.

I believe, you can very well replace laptop with the tablet for college work and even for making notes during the classes, if you pay up for decent apps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.