Tablets forum

General discussion

Tablet or Ultrabook for Business Travel

by xbe1603 / March 31, 2013 12:37 AM PDT

I am trying to decide between buying an ultrabook or tablet for business travel. While on the road I will need to access email, excel and word documents (creating new and editing). Also need the ability to present material to customers and access online databases.

When not on the road I have a desktop that is running windows 7. I want to be able to sync between these without any problems.

I am looking at buying the Samsung series 5 Ultrabook running windows 8, but I think that for the price 760 euros, I can use a tablet for cheaper.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet or Ultrabook for Business Travel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet or Ultrabook for Business Travel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: tablet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 12:59 AM PDT

To run Word and Excel, you need a Windows 8 RT tablet at least. But those have a limited version of MS Office (it's called Office RT) and a limited e-mail app (no POP3).

So you might prefer a Windows 8 Pro tablet that runs the full Office and all other Windows programs you need. And you might prefer a real keyboard to a virtual one.

Then maybe this is a nice one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+IdeaPad+13.3%22+Ultrabook/Tablet+-+Wi-Fi+-+Intel+Core+i7+i7-3537U+2+GHz+-+LED+Backlight+-+Silver+Gray/1306048420.p?id=mp1306048420&skuId=1306048420

It's $1499. Since it's for business it's not too expensive, I think. But I don't see why that Ultrabook wouldn't be fine.

Kees

Collapse -
tablet
by xbe1603 / March 31, 2013 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: tablet

Thanks for the response. I am trying to stay under the price of the Ultrabook 750 euros, but still have the functionality of word processing, and editing spreadsheets. Not worried about the keyboard because I can always buy an external one.

With a windows 8 tablet I can run all Microsoft office programs. I guess I can wondering about the processing power and if I will be limited with a tablet.

Collapse -
I thought that currently the tablet runs more money.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2013 1:23 AM PDT

I see Kees did a fine job covering the current model that runs Office. Most folk I know go with the ultrabook or laptop.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.