Tablets

Question

Tablet insurance

by williamtylerlohrke / January 24, 2012 6:10 AM PST

Who offers the best/reliable tablet insurance covering damage, breakage, theft?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet insurance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet insurance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For now that's your home insurance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: Tablet insurance

But I'm only noting this for the USA. Your country may differ.

Collapse -
I don't think home insurance covers...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 27, 2012 6:52 AM PST

damage or breakage, only theft at least mine does.

If yours does Bob, I need to look into your insurance company. Happy

-Lee

Collapse -
Just checked mine
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 8:41 PM PST

and it is specifically mentioned. Damage and breakages, and New for Old too!

We must have more compassionate and friendly insurers over here in the UK Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Going to have to talk to my agent...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 31, 2012 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Just checked mine

I think my home insurance covers electronics "Damage or breakage" due to a catastrophic events when my home is damaged as result of flood, fire, etc... But if my kid decides to drop the item on the concrete and it breaks, I'm fairly certain my insurance doesn't cover it.

Will have to check with agent.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
really?
by porsche10x / January 27, 2012 9:09 AM PST

The deductible on most homeowner's insurance policies is much greater than the cost of the typical tablet.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2012 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: really?

But when there is fire, theft and such, it counts so you don't really lose that.

You can also opt for lower deductibles.

Collapse -
Answer
Same here, in the UK.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 24, 2012 8:19 AM PST

Covered under Home Contents Insurance. My own policy is "new for old", but it costs more.

I believe some home contents policies also extend to students away from home, but not entirely sure of that.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Link to Canopy Amazon Insurance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 3:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Tablet..or PC..or Mac..or cell phone..or camera Insurance
by stephenmy / January 28, 2012 9:31 AM PST

Ask your homeowner or renter insurance agent to list the item as a separate named or scheduled item, all perils coverage. There is generally no deductible and usually will replace with new. It is the same coverage that you would have on jewelry.

Collapse -
Answer
My experience with Assurant protection
by mrskelly / February 17, 2012 9:36 PM PST

I purchased an HTC tablet from Sprint and got the Assurant insurance. Two days after I got it I accidentally cracked the screen because I did something really dumb while trying to install a SD card. I called Assurant and the pleasant woman on the phone, after a couple questions, emailed me a return code to download. I took it to my local FedEx and it shipped - without charges and in two days I had a replacement device. I was really thunderstruck by how easy it was to work with their customer service, and how quick the turnaround was. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase their protection for other devices.

Collapse -
Answer
Tablet Damage for Android Tablets
by hoverman75 / September 26, 2012 10:59 PM PDT

I bought an $400 tablet in July 2012 from Amazon and also bought the docking keyboard and the leather case. I would take the tablet out of the case to use the keyboard and three months later dropped the uncased tablet on a wooden floor and cracked the screen. In the USA, there seems to be few places for repair and it seems that a new tablet is the best painful choice. This time I will "invest" in the three year damage warranty policy offered through Amazon by Square Deal. The cost is about $30 per year and has good reviews.

Haven't been able to find competitive alternatives and won't ever buy a tablet without the warranty. I am surprised this subject matter is not prolific. Maybe $500 has become the new throw-away price.

In three years the tablet will probably be obsolete. Sad

Collapse -
Answer
Tablet Warranty
by baybreeze / September 29, 2012 7:25 AM PDT

If you don't have/can't use homeowner's insurance, I would buy it through SquareTrade. They sell extended warranties for all sorts of things and they are very highly rated. I have filed a claim with them for a laptop and the whole experience took a total of about 5 days. They sent me prepaid return label, I shipped it to their repair facility, and the repair place fixed it very quickly in 2 or 3 days, then sent it back to me. I was very shocked since in the past, I've had horrible experiences with other warranty providers. The manufacturers are the absolute worst.

Many times you can even find online coupon codes for Squaretrade for 10, 20, 30% off. You have to buy the warranty within 30 of your hardware purchase. You can even forward them you hardware's order confirmation or receipt and they will keep it on file for you in case you need service. I have had nothing but great experiences with them and they are one of the top rated service providers. They even offer warranties for refurb items! I've bought one and even had to use it, and it was a breeze ( I was truly flabberghasted by their service, never had such good service from any mfr or warranty company). You can even buy your warranty directly through them instead of buying it through the company where you order your hardware. You can also request service online or via phone. I did mine online and they responded very quickly.

Collapse -
TABLET INSURANCE
by joelrw / July 16, 2014 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Tablet Warranty

To me, Squaretrade is useless for a tablet or phone insurance. The do not cover an accident like dropping the phone or tablet and cracking the screen. I learned that when I dropped my IPhone - no coverage.

Collapse -
Then here's the CNET article for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2014 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: TABLET INSURANCE
Collapse -
Answer
Check with where you bought it
by orlbuckeye / July 25, 2014 12:24 AM PDT

or with the vendor as you may be able to purchase an accidental damage warranty. I believe Best Buy offers through the geek squad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.