Tablets

Question

Tablet for Round the World Trip - advice needed

by rtworld / March 4, 2013 4:07 PM PST

Hi there,

Beginning of next year we will be on the road again for 12 months. This time we are considering to bring a tablet instead of our small notebook.

We are a bit overwhelmed with all this different tablet models which are currently on the market. Maybe someone could give us advice for what kind of functions etc. we should look in a tablet.

We would like to use the tablet for the following:

In the offline modus (if we don't have Wi-Fi or not strong enough connection):
- Transferring pictures from our camera's to external hard drive/USB stick (Camera's have SD card, might change if I buy a new camera)
- Connecting external hard drive to tablet to watch movie's etc.
- using a bit word/xls, for budget, lists and so on

In the online modus:
- Upload pictures to blog

Tablet size: 7'' or preferable larger
Weight: max 17.5 ounces/500g
Camera: for Skype
good Battery life
Price: up to $500

Thanks
Tinka

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet for Round the World Trip - advice needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet for Round the World Trip - advice needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About that offline modus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 11:37 PM PST

So few tablets support hard disks that it's not funny. My guess is your tablet list will shrink so fast that this alone may make the choice for you. And if we entertain a wireless hard drive, you might launch into a dozen other questions.

The online modus is something most if not all tablets that you read about (Kindle, Nexus, Samsung) do fine.

What is "good battery life"? The life span of most batteries is set by the cycles. Most are 300 so if you charged daily I expect 2 to 3 years before replacement. If you are talking how long the tablet runs on a charge that gets you into the no one knows area since you can double the run time by turning off wifi, bluetooth and dimming the screen on most models. Turn everything on, GPS and push up the brightness and the time plummets.
Bob

Collapse -
which tablets support hard drive?
by rtworld / March 5, 2013 12:14 AM PST

Thanks Bob! Your reply is very appreciated.

Sorry maybe stupid question; but how can we find out which tablets support hard drives? Is this related to the USB Port connection or to other functions?

#good battery life: wasn't clear, yes I've meant once the battery is fully charged, for how long it will last (incl Wifi on)?

Tinka

Collapse -
Battery times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 12:35 AM PST

Are best found in the reviews. And expect wide numbers such as 2 to 14 hours. My office has a few tablets and on the Transformer with the dock it gets over 10 hours of use. But that's with items turned off when not in use. I could easily get half that with everything on and the brightness turned up.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=which+tablets+support+external+hard+drives finds prior discussions and models so I defer to those answers.
Bob

Collapse -
Merci
by rtworld / March 5, 2013 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: Battery times.

Thanks for your answer. will check google.
Tinka

Collapse -
iUSBport HD
by rtworld / March 5, 2013 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: Merci

Hi Bob,

During my google search I came across the iUSBport HD. Is this device (or a similar product from another company) maybe the solution for our problem?

Tinka

Collapse -
Reviews seem kind and highlight the issues with it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: iUSBport HD
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.