Tablets forum

Resolved Question

Tablet can connect via USB to Digital Photo Frame or similar

by macnab6968 / April 23, 2013 10:55 PM PDT

To be able to connect to a device such as a Digital Photo Frame via USB do I need a tablet running something like Windows 8, or an iPad?

It seems I can't do it with a Samsung Galaxy.

Need one that works 3G or HPSA, no WiFi access.

macnab6968 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet can connect via USB to Digital Photo Frame or similar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet can connect via USB to Digital Photo Frame or similar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by macnab6968

Collapse -
I like the way you phrased the question in the Samsung forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 1:13 AM PDT

The way you asked your question in the Samsung forum is much better.

Frankly, unless someone creates an app for Android, it will feel like a step back in time as you work out a new routine.
I don't see the attraction for a tablet for this one unless there's an app for that.
Bob

Collapse -
Not my decision
by macnab6968 / April 24, 2013 2:10 AM PDT

Not my decision to get a tablet - my mother's. Because her sister has an iPad and she wants to get rid of the computer stand and desktop in the spare-bedroom. I just thought of the digital photo frame as an afterthought, because she will no longer be able to print. You should see how the walls are covered in photos of the great-grand-children. Happy

I don't think she really knows about laptops. Not easy to discuss with her when she lives 500km away. Her niece lives there, she can demonstrate/explain a laptop. (Especially as my mother can touch-type.)

At least with a laptop it has a "computer" OS as opposed to a "phone" OS. A laptop can have a photo-editor, the digital photo frame plugs into the laptop, the laptop has a file-manager, it just needs a dongle for internet access, it can still run Outlook Express and Facebook, ...

I'll convert her - easier than converting a tablet to my/her needs! Subject closed. Laugh

Collapse -
If you can find the app for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Not my decision

It would not be as hard as I envision this today. At the office we are working on Android apps but I don't see an app to do what you ask in one go. Yes you could cobble together something but it would be a bit hard for those that don't know what files, folders and such terms.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: digital photo frame
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 11:00 PM PDT

Although it might depend on the specs of that particular digital photo phrame (why not tell us the type and a link to the user manual?) commonly the USB-port in such a device is meant to insert a USB-stick with digital pictures.

To run a TV, PC, laptop, tablet or smartphone as a photo frame, you need an app. And it depends on the app what source it accepts for the pics it should display.

Kees

Collapse -
More info
by macnab6968 / April 23, 2013 11:49 PM PDT

My reply seems to have disappeared. I remember now, for a friend I put his photos on a MicroSD card.

I am thinking of a Galaxy Tab, which takes a MicroSD card, but does not have a photo editor that can change the file format or resolution. And so file manager at all. I don't know whether I can get from Samsung Apps.

But it strikes me that I would need something like Windows 8 to be able to take a photo from an email attachment, convert it, and save it to the card.

But I am open to suggestions for other suitable tablets, as long as they work with HSPA - no WiFi access.

Collapse -
Not one tablet I know of
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2013 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

Excludes WiFi to date. But this begs the question, why a tablet? Any old laptop can do this and cost half as much.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.