Tablets forum

General discussion

Tablet and USB amps requirements

by Willy / December 19, 2012 3:52 AM PST

This has been a perplexing issue for me. At times, it works and others it doesn't. Since, tablets use a higher amp requirement, yet it may work for one and not another of the same model or slightly different one. Overall, I find if the battery has some charge left to at least start but shutdown at a quick downtime, it allows use of less capable USB charger, but that varys. If on the other hand it is truly drained, then only the OEM or similar USB capable charger will do. The issue is since the typical USB charger available don't readily provide the amps listing and if they do, it's too low for a tablet, good maybe for a iPhone or smaller devices.

Has anyone know of a generic or more capble USB charger that provides at least 2.0A or better and clearly state that. I', about ready to order an electrical AC socket type replacement provided by Leviton. However, since this will stay at the wall(replaces 2-socket AC outlet) I had yet to find a strip or standalone one. I want one that really robust and if possible if you know of a "auto type", please post.

FYI- Leviton# T5630

I just may order one to and make mobile cable out of it using AC electrical box. duh!!! TIA -----Willy Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet and USB amps requirements
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet and USB amps requirements
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 4:16 AM PST

All the tablets at the office can slow charge off the PC and if not, come with a bigger charger.

Too bad you didn't reveal which tablet you had.

Collapse -
More work...
by Willy / December 19, 2012 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: This is news to me.

Trying to fix tablets is a recent development for me. As it seems someone finds out I'm a tech and calls or knows a friend, you know what I mean. The point being, it seems I had rather bad luck or can't even get the tablet to power on or show a charge. Some of these are older tablets or the larger 10in. like Samsung, Ipad, Verizon or AT&T type etc.. On simple chargers, it cuts out the charger safety ckt. and no charge. -OR- allowed to remain on an AC charging strip, never takes a charge or appears so. Thus, I deem the battery is too far gone or the charging ckt. is overloaded or done-in. Even with supplied OEM setups, it just sits there saying its in charge mode(lit LED) but no go after hrs. of being on. I'm not going to pop-open these tablets either, at least they have warranty or rather more capable service that render tablet services better. Basically, I now ask, "does it power-ON?" before trying to resolve some problem. But, even that gets a tablet remaining at the home to test. All this is a learning experience for me now, but I had success provided it powers-ON. Broken screen, forget abut' it. ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
The awful double secret secret.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: More work...

The cheap tablets look to be made solely for price and about a years use. I can imagine that some shop or tech might get sucked into trying to fix some of these things but we know this secret up front and if anyone brings us one of the too numerous MIC tablets to fix we have a minimum charge that is large enough to replace the product. Some folk have turned red and screamed at us but we never sold the device.

They are very upset they can't get service on tablets or support. It's a new area and it may take a while for the consumer to figure it out.

Back to the charger. As USB does have a limit, Samsung and others use a trick in the charger cable to supply more. No charger should do much more than the limit or may suffer the wrath of a product liability lawyer.

Collapse -
suggest you buy a "fast" usb portable charger
by dmbflorida / January 11, 2013 12:21 PM PST

For Christmas gifts, I bought four Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch tablets with either 16 or 32 GB depending on gift recipient needs. I was given the opportunity to buy an accessory with these Kindle purchases at a discount... $10 instead of $20 for a "fast" charger with fast usb connection (micro to regular 2.0) cable. Download time was much less using this cable and adapter. I upgraded the portable chargers for the tablets. I had previously bought 2300 amps and I substituted 6000 amps today. since these portable chargers are small, I think that these were good choices for carrying with you to charge tablets, phones, etc. I bought all of these gifts at This website has many apps and books, games, streaming of movies, lots to use.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.