Computer Help forum

General discussion

Tab key on the keyboard not working

by tomag / January 23, 2004 9:52 AM PST

I just discovered that my tab key on the keyboard is not working. Would that be the fault of the keyboard, or the computer, or what? I use Win98SE, HP 6630 Pavillion. Any suggestions? Thanks,Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tab key on the keyboard not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tab key on the keyboard not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Tab key on the keyboard not working
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2004 11:14 AM PST

Try this.

Press and hold the Alt-key Press 0 0 9 (zero zero nine) on the numeric pad then release the Alt-key. This is the alternate method of getting a TAB character and how I test to see if it's just a bum keyboard.

Bob

Collapse -
by pkraja1 / February 4, 2010 4:22 AM PST

That worked for me - how on earth would you have known to do that?

Collapse -
The reason is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2010 4:44 AM PST
Collapse -
A Tab is also Ctrl-I
by ChuckT / February 4, 2010 9:16 AM PST

The Tab key is one of the few that have very easy other key-presses, as well.
You could just press the Ctrl+I (hold down the Ctrl key and then press the letter "I"

And along with the aforementioned Alt(keypad)009 you don't have to enter two leading zeros, just one is enough, as in Alt(keypad)09

You need to have at least one leading (keypad) zero, else the special codes for special characters will be entered.

Collapse -
by Willy / January 23, 2004 11:41 AM PST

Keys do go bad, they're not likely to recover. If you want to fix it, I suggest a quick spray of silicone based lube. However, that may not work as some are "sealed" so its just a last resort type of thing. The real fix, is to replace and cost isn't that bad for a typical kybd..

good luck -----Willy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.