PC Hardware

General discussion

t5026 dvd burner stopped working

by nerdyboy1234 / April 16, 2005 6:54 AM PDT

I have the emachines t5026. P4 519j, 512 mb ram, Xp Home. ANyways, recently when bigfix(program used by emachines to inform u of updates) advised me to download a firmware update for my dvd burner (TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-H552b made by samsung/toshiba). First time i did it, it failed. But 2nd time it didnt. It said download ok please restart. After restart, when i put in any kind of disc, it didnt read. The drive still opens and closes though. It is also found in my computer>system>device manager. So i downloaded the firmware again thinking it didnt work. However, it still didnt work. ALso when i go to my computer, and click on drive E:, it does not say please insert a disc into drive E:, it just goes to a blank page that says 0 objects. Is there a way to revert the firmware update. i contacted emachines and they told me to reinstall the firmware whcih didnt work. Then they just told me to set up a warranty plan to replace the part. Is it possible to fix my drive or do i have to get a new one? And if i get a new one, do i have to get one from emachines? if i buy a drive from like compusa, will it fit in the emachines case?

the firmware update is located here
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20096&uid=82876115.

Thnx for ur help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: t5026 dvd burner stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: t5026 dvd burner stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
tsst dvd drive problem
by ctripp13 / April 23, 2005 6:22 AM PDT

I hope you have resolved your problem cause I think I have at least similar problem. In my case, I have used the drive to write DVD's since installling the firmware patch but until today I had not tried to play a DVD. It just ignores all players, (Real, Windows Media, Nero). So, I am just now embarking on the journey. Please let me know if you have a resolution. Thanks, Conrad

Collapse -
PowerDVD
by chuckieu / April 23, 2005 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: tsst dvd drive problem

Usually what comes with the drive. This, or whatever disc, that was supplied are what is used to PLAY discs.
Nero, etc, are for burning, and WMP9 or Real Player are for things like MP3s, AVI, WMV, etc. Hope this helps.
Unless you installed PowerDVD, pre-recorded movies and such won't play. chuck

Collapse -
Nerdyboy1234
by damasta55r / April 23, 2005 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: PowerDVD

problem is he can't play any discs at all not just dvds. There are no conflicts in device manager and the drive is recognized. Upon opening My Computer,the drive is listed, but double-clicking it, instead of the window that says please insert a disk, a blank page is opened. Emachines support was great, we tried many solutions, but none worked. Finally they offered to send it back to them, but we had to pay S&H so we just decided to not and go without a DL DVD+_Drive until we need one and we'll buy an external one. It seems no one knows how to fix this problem. Haven't tried a burning a DVD yet, i'll try now. Btw, powerdvd is still installed.
Roger

Collapse -
T5026 firmware update for TSST DVD
by jdurcan / April 23, 2005 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Nerdyboy1234

Roger, I have been able to burn DVDs, but both my drives now cannot recognize cd-r discs and they most certainly were able to in the past. I have tried at least six types of cd-r discs, even ones that I successfully used on this machine before the firmware update. Let me know if you have learned anything else. I am going to contact e-machines this weekend. JD

Collapse -
RE: T5026
by jdurcan / April 23, 2005 7:53 AM PDT

Hi, I just came upon your message when I did a search for tsst corp, as I too have a t5026 emachine PC and I too downloaded the firmware update and I have since found that both the CD and the DVD drives do not recognize cd-r discs, and they both did before the firmware update. Have you been able to learn anything more about this? I am on the brink of contacting e-machines about this. Thanks in advance for any and all information. Best! JD

Collapse -
Re
by nerdyboy1234 / April 23, 2005 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: T5026

my cd rom still works. It can still read any disc i put in. Only my dvd drive wont work after installing the firmware update. I'll try burning something and then see if the drive will work.

i'm glad i aint the only one with the problem as with more ppl having problem with the burner, maybe emachines will come up with a solution.

Collapse -
T5026 firmware update for TSST DVD
by jdurcan / May 1, 2005 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

Hi, I contacted eMachines support and they sent me a new DVD burner which installed easily enough and now seems to work fine, although I only burned a single audio disc. Bottom line from customer service is that unless one installs the download perfectly (and that is the big problem, since once I downloaded it, I did not get a single message on how to install or even RE: the need to reboot...so I never thought I actually got it) the firmware update fries the DVD drive and one cannot fix it, thereafter. Mine still managed to handle DVDs, but would not recognize any CD-R discs or music CDs. It seems that customer support now has a handle on this problem and they were quite helpful and resolved it. Their suggestion and one that I will follow, is do not download the firmware, period. Good luck!

Collapse -
burner doesnt work
by nerdyboy1234 / April 23, 2005 9:51 AM PDT

tried to use nero express to burn cd and dvd and both never worked. When i selected files then clicked burn, it said to insert a disc. Even though a disc was already in.

tell me if u have a solution.

Collapse -
T5026
by dragontears / April 27, 2005 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: burner doesnt work

just got off the phone with tech support. they had me open nero to burn a data disk, then open wordpad and just write the word test, save the file, then drag it into nero and burn it. the burner now works again.

Collapse -
W3503 Emachines Philips DVD8801 Stopped working.
by angeleyes5350 / May 31, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

How are You Getting help mine says. Format operation on drive E\Failed. The drive has reported a problem with the media. When i put a Cd or DVD it says it"s Empty

Sorry I can't get to the Back Of my Computer For My Numbers.

System
Micisoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

76487-OEM-0011903-00806

eMachines
W3503
intel(r)
Celeron(R) D CPU 3.33GHz
3.33GHz 384 MB of Ram
Physical Address Extension

Collapse -
Just a link about troubleshooting such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 4:19 AM PDT

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4YRPZ7.html

I no longer give such drives too much time. I'll use a CD/DVD lens cleaner then retest. If it fails I swap the drive fast.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.