Phones forum

General discussion

T-Mobile vs. Verizon

by bandida430 / September 30, 2005 4:14 AM PDT

Our company is switching wireless companies. Our options are T-Mobile and Verizon. I would like to get customer feedback regarding both companies. Which is better for customer service? Reception? Located in Northern California. Thanks Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: T-Mobile vs. Verizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: T-Mobile vs. Verizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jas0nhe / October 2, 2005 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: T-Mobile vs. Verizon

But T-Mobile's cheaper, so if you can live with worse reception go with it.

Collapse -
t-mobile works well
by Qosmio / October 2, 2005 9:54 AM PDT

it really depends how strong the service is in the area yuo live or work.t-mobile has much stronger service were i live so i prefer t-mobile plus it,s very fare as far as cost.there customer service is much better then verzions.

Collapse -
Verizon Wireless
by dave1973 / October 3, 2005 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: t-mobile works well

I say Verizon Wireless is a better choice. T-Mobile has better plans and a better phone selection, but I find T-Mobile only works in major cities, providing they have sufficient coverage of the area and handle the capacity of their network. Chicago is a market where T-Mobile has done a poor job of covering the entire market. Also unless you plan on getting a quad-band phone, just to get the 850 band, which is also needed in the USA, then T-Mobile is not the service to go because with only the 1900 band, which is used on most T-Mobile phones, you almost have to be on their network for the phones to work, or in a market where Cingular uses the 1900 band as well. Smaller GSM services typically serve rural areas and use primarily the 850 band, so a single band 1900mhz phone is useless in much of the USA. At least with Verizon Wireless, while it's a CDMA service, they have the 800 & 1900 bands on all phones. That way you have the 1900 band in heavily populated markets, and the 800 in less populated markets. I would give Verizon Wireless a look. I've had Verizon Wireless for 3 1/2 years now and would hate to lose them.

Collapse -
Totally Agreed
by ptizzle726 / July 28, 2012 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Wireless

I've had both carriers, and Verizon's reception is superior by far in the Orlando, FL, and in the Chicagoland area. In Orlando, I have to go near a window to make a call on my Tmobile network. I have gotten used to having to recall people four or five times to complete a conversation. Ironically, I used Tmobile on a much cheaper LG phone with no contract -- never dropped a call. When I switched to a $600 smart phone, I have to go to the upper levels of my home for reception. When I complain, they say they will send a stronger signal within 48 hours. That fix works for about one day, and I'm back to the 30 seconds to even get a dial tone.

Never had one reception problem with VZW, although I prefer Tmobile's customer service. But, what difference does decent customer service make when you can't make a phone call. I've used their 611 service to try to get tech support -- that call dropped 4 times until it got to the point that I would tell the Tmobile person to please call ME back if the call drops!

I'm changing carriers -- ETF aside -- it's just not working for me.

Collapse -
Oh Please...Not Even Debatable...
by Psych Doc / October 3, 2005 12:06 PM PDT

...Consumer Reports has looked at cell phone carriers repeatedly with respect to signal coverage, dropped calls and customer service. Verizon consistently sweeps every category hands down. If I recall, T-Mobile was always consistently either the worst or close to the worst in each category. Verizon's weaknesses are their phone selections, which are mediocre, at best and their costs, which are a few bucks higher.

Sure T-Mobile's cheaper but, guess why? They're awful! Like Mom always said, "you get what you pay for!"

Collapse -
Oh Please....Not Even Debatable
by ploukas / October 3, 2005 2:36 PM PDT

*LOL* That is so true. I agree totally.

Collapse -
by jas0nhe / October 5, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

Sure, you get what you pay for. But if someone just wants service in and around their town, and T-Mobile covers it, why not?

Actually, Money magazine recently reviewed carriers' indoor signal strength and found Verizon consistently performing poorly. Cingular topped their charts, and T-Mobile was pretty much equally as bad as Verizon.

Collapse -
Depends on area
by dave1973 / October 17, 2005 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

My first phone with Verizon Wireless was the Motorla 120c. That phone would only work in areas that had at least 3 bars, not counting the transmission bar. That phone woudn't work in most buildings and some neighborhoods. I upgraded to the Samsung a650 flip phone with Verizon Wireless and that works in more areas that the Motorola didn't. There are still a few areas where my Samsung still don't work, and that's because there are no Verizon towers in those areas. There are neighborhoods that the wireless companies (not just Verizon) want to put up towers, but the residents keep them out, then complain that reception isn't good. Luckily for me, I live near a 500 ft. tower that has every wireless carrier on it except for Nextel, which chose to locate on an electrical tower a mile west of the 500 ft. tower before they sold to Sprint.

Collapse -
I agree
by itsdigger / July 28, 2012 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

I have Verizon here in Chicago (south side) and the indoor signal is nill to none, most days I have to go outside across the street to use my phone( a motorola droid X2)

Collapse -
no comparison
by bderou2 / October 14, 2005 7:30 PM PDT

I've been a customer of both. I did like T-Mobile's plans at the time. They had some good minutes at a very good price. However what good are well priced minutes if you can't get signal? It was TERRIBLE! I truly wish they had good signal service because I love their SideKick internet/mobile phone device. But after very, VERY poor performance, poor signal quality, poor customer service, I left them and won't ever look back.

After a brief stint with Cingular (I was told I could upgrade my phone and plan mid-contract if desired, and then when I tried to, I was told I couldn' I dumped them), I'm with Verizon. I have never had an issue with signal or signal quality. Their customer service has been astounding! What's more is I'm in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, one of the areas affected by hurriane Katrina. Every other cell phone service had issues for quite a while after the hurrican hit, particularly Cingular. But Verizon never missed a beat. Even though they are somewhat more pricey than others, as PsychDoc said (Hey Doc!!) you get what you pay for! I'll never leave!!

Collapse -
What are you looking for???
by NDKing / October 21, 2005 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: no comparison

Verizon apparently is consistant in the US, but if you travel to every other country in the world, GSM is the move and verizon phones won't work or you have to pay them for access and all this other nonsense. T-Mobile does tend to have spotty service even in large cities like NY where I live, but they do have the best customer service by far. So if you plan to stay on the main land, and don't mind paying for an overpriced phone, go with Verizon

Collapse -
International Issues
by ptizzle726 / July 28, 2012 11:05 PM PDT

My understanding is that with the smart phones, VZW has to and is changing things because folks are yelping about not being able to use phones internationally.

Collapse -
Did you even look at the age of this thread ??
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 28, 2012 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: International Issues

This thread was started 7 years ago and so was the response you commented on.

Collapse -
by brent777 / October 22, 2005 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: no comparison

i guess it depends on where you live or if your in a specific market...but i dont have trouble getting a signal, with t-mobile it doesnt matter how many bars you have. if the phone screen says t-mobile on it, you can make and recieve calls no problem. and it covers me whereever i go. there actually not bad going inside buildings in stuff either. i was covered with t-mobile all the way through alabama when i went to destin this summer. T-Mobile isnt as sucky as everyone says. they have the best customer service ever. jd power and associates agrees with that!

Collapse -
T-Mobile, hands down.
by wmf1489 / October 14, 2005 8:43 PM PDT

I would defenitely pick tmobile. Most of the people that said tmobiles signals poor are just biased people. Im very fair when i write reviews or give help.

First of all,
Verizons plans are rediculous. with verizon, my friends get 450 anytime minutes and nites and weekends for 39.99 a month, while on tmobile, i get 1000 for the same price!.Tmobile has excellent reception in most of the areas ive traveled to. Verizon has a larger network because it still runs on old technology. Verizon also has more multimedia features than tmobile, but of course there extremely overpriced.Verizon has a horrible selection of phones, most are motorla, which are cheaply made phones.Im not being biased when i say that, as the editor of a local newspaper. 80% percent of motorola owners say they will never get one again.

Also, EVERY SINGLE verizon customer ive asked has said that they hate verizon with a passion. with reasong like , overcharging numerous times, horrible customer service,bad phones,and most text messages and emails sent are never received by the other person.

Tmobile has received 4 awards for JD Power And Associates in just two short years.including:

"2005 Highest Ranked Wireless Customer Service Performance

2005 Highest Overall Satisfaction Among Wireless Telephone Users": Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, North Central, Southwest and West regions

2004 Highest in Overall Customer Satisfaction with Wireless Retail Service"

"2005 Highest Ranked Call Quality Performance": Northeast and Southeast Regions.

Tmobile has a great selection of phones. has great prices on devices and plans, and has excellent customer service.

I hope this helps

Collapse -
Yea... I'd put it down if it was T-Mobile and in my hands
by hmstauff / October 15, 2005 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: T-Mobile, hands down.

I've had Verizon since 2001. They were the fifth cell phone company I have had. They're customer service has been beyond compare and I have traveled all over this country with my business including some very remote areas and have only been two places where signal was even a little bit of an ittue (Tulsa was one and I can't remember the other).

If you travel extensively Verizon will be the hands down winner. Also, if you use alot of hours, the price is not bad. I also have a V-Cast phone and like the V-Cast and Mobile Web 2 features. If you need high speed internet access on the road, Verizon's EVDO network is by far the fastest cell based broadand network.

I like Verizon enough that if someone offered me free service on any other network, I'd continue to pay to keep my Verizon service.

Collapse -
OK, Tell Me You're Kidding...This Just Has To Be A Joke...
by Psych Doc / October 19, 2005 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: T-Mobile, hands down.

...T-Mobile is garbage. "Customer service?" Hell they have to look it up in the dictionary just to figure out what it means, no less provide good customer service. Whoever issued those bogus "awards" you reference have to be on crack. Ever hear of a little publication by the name of "Consumer Reports?" You may want to check out their ratings of cell phone carriers in about a dozen different markets alla round the US. Verizon was #1 in every single one of them, in every single category. T-Mobile was dead last or next to last in each of these markets. You really have to be kidding with your post.

Un-freaking-believable. People come here to get honest, accurate information and they read your post!!!???

For god's sake man, do your homework before you post blatently inaccurate, untrue foolishness.

Collapse -
Take it easy he, is only 15. I guess he is not as objective
by hh / October 19, 2005 7:01 AM PDT

as he claims to be.

Collapse -
by Psych Doc / October 19, 2005 7:06 AM PDT

...OK then, maybe with time he'll be fully cooked and be able to "smell the coffee" as it were.

He probably just needs a little more time in the proverbial oven. ;~)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol
by jas0nhe / October 21, 2005 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hehe....
Collapse -
How about you check the facts
by usafguard / October 21, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

If you check the JD Power website, you will actually find that T-Mobile wins or ties with Verizon in 4 out of 5 categories and yes even won the award for best customer service, so there's no need to belittle others when they post factual information that you don't like. So, yes, it is honest, accurate information.

Collapse -
Well, That About Does It For J.D. Powers Then...I Get My...
by Psych Doc / October 21, 2005 4:33 AM PDT

...information from Consumer Reports and Verizon totally dominated T-Mobile in every category in every market.

Collapse -
Oh. And By The Way...Did You Notice The Responses Here?....
by Psych Doc / October 21, 2005 4:36 AM PDT

...Pretty much mirrors Consumer Reports, doesn't it?

People are grossly dissatisfied with T-Garbage everywhere and very loyal/satisfied with Verizon.

It's clear as day, what part don't you get? You don't suppose it's a conspiracy do you?

Collapse -
You miss the point entirely
by usafguard / October 21, 2005 4:57 PM PDT

I did actually notice the responses, my point is that it isn't necessary to belittle others for stating published fact. I guess you didn't understand that.

Collapse -
by Mikey4985 / October 22, 2005 1:16 PM PDT

how do you find these consumer reports, i want to see it

Collapse -
Go To A Library Or Subscribe On Line...
by Psych Doc / October 22, 2005 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: ?

....Article was about 6-8 months ago if I recall correctly.

Collapse -
customer service??
by jesterCO / October 23, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

I'm tired of all the posts about T-Mobile's fantastic customer service. If my bill is presented in a timely manner, the charges are accurate, and I can add/remove features, etc from my phone, the website, why would I care about the provider's customer service? I shouldn't be calling anyway.

Collapse -
by Mikey4985 / October 23, 2005 5:41 PM PDT
In reply to: customer service??

Maybe because sometimes people don't understand what is going on and need to ask someone for help? In those likely situations, customer service is pretty important.

Collapse -
Calling vs. online help
by ptizzle726 / July 28, 2012 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: customer service??

Seriously? What about those charges that are not accurate OR questions about your plan or tech support? All issues are not fixable using your phone! You should care about customer service -- you will eventually need it.

Collapse -
JD Powers?
by ptizzle726 / July 28, 2012 11:17 PM PDT

Everyone keeps citing JD Powers, et al, to prove a point. I want hands-on experience regarding these companies from the little man who actually uses the service in particular markets. With all due respect, JD Powers' testers might be closer to a window during their test. No name calling is necessary - I agree with you on that. Just the facts on personal usage. I can find stats and surveys from numerous sources, but my personal experience will always win out on my decision.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.