iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

T-Mobile's iPhone discounts are for customers only

by tohapply / March 28, 2013 5:16 PM PDT

Sorry, you can't buy a $580 iPhone 5 from T-Mobile and then sign up with another carrier — you have to give T-Mo at least once month of service.
T-Mobile is still selling a commitment-free iPhone for full price even if it doesn't stand to gain from the transaction as a service provider. T-Mobile is essentially becoming a phone retailer as well as carrier, and I think that has significant implications for the industry.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: T-Mobile's iPhone discounts are for customers only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: T-Mobile's iPhone discounts are for customers only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is your point ???
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 11:17 PM PDT

Do you feel this is somehow unfair ??? Seems perfectly logical to require a customer to commit to a minimum service period if they get a phone/service at a discounted price.

Collapse -
My point
by tohapply / April 1, 2013 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: What is your point ???

I mean T-Mobile not only provice for its customers but also want to convince others to use T-Mobile

Collapse -
And yet.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: My point

.....your "clarification" still makes no sense. Why wouldn't T-mobile convince others to use their service ?

Collapse -
I remain unconvinced most of the time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2013 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: And yet.....

And here we are again with an unconvincing discussion.

But I'll try to explain why you get to sign up for at least a month. Ready?

-> There is no way to test this phone without it being activated on a network. If you want to get an unlocked, unactivated phone then go do that. The company must do this so you get a good working phone.

Disagree? Don't buy it and shop elsewhere. No one is reaching in your pocket here. Unless you are in Cyprus.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.