Phones forum

General discussion

T Mobile move to Verizon or Cingular

by debbielynn / April 1, 2005 11:21 PM PST

We have used T Mobile for years and are looking into changing services since we are no longer getting as good of coverage and are experiencing dropped calls. Their service has been great with the cheapest prices and most free features for the family plan. We could replace phones every year and phones were fully covered for a year. Their contract is also for only one year.
It looks like Verizon and Cingular have 2 years between phones and 2 year contracts. Are they worth the switch? I will have to pay about 10 dollars more per month with Verizon, but that is not a big deal. It looks like Cingular can charge for some messages left on the phone. Please give advise as to which company would be the best to switch over to. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: T Mobile move to Verizon or Cingular
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: T Mobile move to Verizon or Cingular
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
switch to Verizon
by Tbenerofe / April 2, 2005 2:40 AM PST

switch to verizon handsdown the best coverage over all. And if you worried about replacing phones Verizon has an early upgrade deal where you can get a new phone every 10 months if you're the primary user. If you are a secondary easing he have to wait 22 months.

Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 10:12 AM PST

No, you don't have to go with a 24 month contract w/ Cingular. You can pay a little more for the phone w/ a 12 month contract. The phones do have a 12 month warranty (like virtually any carrier/handset). The Cingular Family Talk plan has the secondary @ $9.99 w/ any shared plan $69.99 or higher as well as Rollover, Unlimited Mobile to Mobile, Unlimited Night & Weekends. You will find that while both T-mobile and Cingular use the same networks, Cingular has stronger coverage in most area of the country than T-mobile. Just remember, you can try the Cingular svc for 30 days and cancel without penalty (Verizon is not as generous).

Collapse -
Without penalty?
by dlflyboy / April 5, 2005 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

I switched from T-mobile (was with them since they were powertel) to cingular. Within 12 days I canceled my Cingular service and sent the phones back (they only at a 15 day grace period then). Remember I only had 12 days of service. The reason I canceled was because the minutes on one the phones on my family plan were not being tracked properly. It showed long distance charges (and I had a national plan). And the only answer cingular reps over the phone could give me is "wait till you get your first bill". Well, I got my first bill and it was around the 600.00 mark. After staying on the phone for over an hour I finally got it down to 170.00. The 170.00 insisted of 2 activation fees (had 2 phones on my plan) and a month in advance for my serive. Making me pay for a month in advance was an outrage!!! Then I switched to AT&T (big mistake). Then 3 months later they were bought by Cingular (whoooppeee). Whenever I have to call Cingular I expect to stay on the phone for at least 1 hour and be transferred around at least 2 times. If Cingular doesn't get the customer service better, I'm going to cancel and just pay the early termination fees and either go back to T-mobile or give Verizon a try. At least with Verizon I can use my plan in my car (since it has On Star). Then again, I have a co-worker to has a hard time out of Verizon customer service. FYI...when I call 611 from my phone I can always tell which agent was with AT&T and which is Cingular (even though they both answer as Cingular). AT&T agents seem to be more friendly and helpful.

Collapse -
Don't do it!!
by Coconut1961 / April 7, 2005 12:22 AM PDT

I thought the same. My family was with T-Mobile for going on 5 years, and we decided to switch to Cingular, thinking with the merger with AT&T they should provide excellent coverage! Wrong!! Instead of expanding their network, they actually have to share/split coverage areas (I was later told), and it was terrible! I could not see staying with them and battling bad service for two whole years, so I returned the phones and switched back to T-Mobile in a little over a week. The grass may look greener on the other side--but you know that is not necessarily always the case. I'd say--stay where you are!

Collapse -
Verizon is an EASY choice .. Cingular SUCKS!
by Downhillr / April 8, 2005 4:44 AM PDT

I switched from TMobile to Cingular and it's been an absolute NIGHTMARE! Their customer service is a disaster and worse, they structured in such a way that one DEPT points the finger at another DEPT and runs you around! If I could get out of my Cingular contract, I'd switch to Verizon or TMoble so fast that it would make your head swim. Trust me, you want NO PART of Cingular ... THEY ARE THE WORST!!!

Collapse -
50+ Million Subscribers Can't Be Wrong!
by njstahl / April 11, 2005 7:31 AM PDT

I've been a Cingular customer for nearly five years now (I was with Cingular when they were known as Pac Bell Wireless!) and I have had excellent service with them: both coverage and customer care. I know it's annoying not to have access to 611 on a 24/7 basis but I have become accustomed to it. (I hear that there is a number that you can reach Cingular Customer Care at on weekends but don't know what it is!)

Granted each situation is different and so I am not about to pass judgement on whether in a given case the right thing was done without knowing all the facts. At every step of my cell service, I have "done my homework" to determine the best wireless choice for me and each time it was AT&T/Cingular. Nobody else offers rollover minutes for those months that you just can't help going over (esp true on a shared plan with two teens) and a 30-day no hassle return policy.

Comparing Verizon to Cingular, you will note that at each price point Cingular gives you more minutes than Verizon (generally Verizon is the lowest among nationwide carriers). I don't know what you mean by "charge for some messages left on the phone." AFAIK, Cingular does not charge you for keeping voicemail messages for an extended period of time (they are deleted after 14 days), and text messages are billed based only on sending or receiving (10 cents each way; 100 messages/month available for 2.99/mo) -- not based on how long they are kept on the phone, that is determined by the phone's settings and capacity itself. Data speeds are slightly faster on Cingular's network, especially if you are in an EDGE market (such as the San Francisco Bay Area, as I am).

Another advantage of switching to Cingular is that you can keep the same phone you had with T-Mobile. Before switching, ask a T-Mobile rep for the unlock code (they will give these out provided you have been a customer for 90 days, and I see that you obviously have been). You can take this code and your phone over to the Cingular store and they will gladly activate it for you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.