Phones forum

General discussion

T-Mobile/AT&T Compatibility

by westrowb / June 15, 2005 2:24 AM PDT

I use att wireless and i just purchased a new cell phone on ebay because att stopped selling cell phones. Everything works fine with my att service except for the internet. if i try to do anything that i would have to use the browser for it trys to connect to "T-Zones" the t-mobile browser and not "Mmode" the att browser. Its obviously meant to be a tmobile phone but is there any way I can still use a browser with this phone and my att services? If not how else could I get new ring tones? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: T-Mobile/AT&T Compatibility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: T-Mobile/AT&T Compatibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is no longer a company callet AT&T Wireless.
by hh / June 15, 2005 4:55 AM PDT

Where have you been? If you had service with the former ATT, now you should have service with Cingular, so no more mmode, etc.

Collapse -
Dont post here
by westrowb / June 15, 2005 7:16 AM PDT

I am an AT&T customer, i think id know if i was not. If you had att before they merged with cingular you still stay under contract with att. You cannot buy cingular phones or use their service areas. I still used mmode for months after the merger the only reson im not now is beacuse i got a new phone that it wont work on. Dont post if you dont know what you are talking about.

Collapse -
You just answered your own question.
by hh / June 15, 2005 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Dont post here

When you turn on your phone it says "Cingular" correct? The plan of ATT would continue but not certain functions.

Collapse -
This is correct
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 15, 2005 11:13 AM PDT

AT&T wireless no longer exists as a company. Although there are still customers who still own original AT&T handsets, the bills still show Cingular at the top of the page. Former AT&T customers with their original phones may still keep their original calling plans, they are still Cingular customers from now on.

Collapse -
If he was one of the acquired customers
by dave1973 / June 15, 2005 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: This is correct

He's a Cingular customer only if he resides in a market that Cingular acquired. I'm only aware of Alltel & Suncom acquiring AT&T customers in markets that Cingular had to divest. I only wished Cingular would have had to divest the Chicago market, but I wonder why they were allowed to merge that market when Cingular already sereved the market before the merger? But I wonder what happened to customers in divested markets if they were allowed to keep their phones and plans, or forced to get new phones and plans. I know in Michigan, Alltel acquired most of the former AT&T customers in that state, and Alltel uses CDMA and AT&T was using TDMA & GSM networks.

Collapse -
divested market
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 15, 2005 1:04 PM PDT

If the phone was in Virginia or in the Carolinas, Suncom took over the old AT&T accounts. In those markets, Suncom forced all prior AT&T account holders to purchase new equipment by June 1st or their service would be automatically disconnected. Just thought you might find that interesting.

Cingular never told former AT&T customers they could not keep their previous phones w/ prior calling plans.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.