Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System32 folder opens at startup in Windows XP

by bronx10473 / May 27, 2006 3:44 AM PDT

After recovering from a malware attack my windows xp machine now opens the C:\WINDOWS\System32 folder every time it starts. How can I prevent this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System32 folder opens at startup in Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System32 folder opens at startup in Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: System32 folder opens at startup in Windows XP
by Tufenuf / May 27, 2006 4:09 AM PDT

Here's Microsft's solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q170086

If you have a Dell Dimension computer with a factory installed Creative Labs Audigy2 sound card open the MSCONFIG utility (Start/Run type in MSCONFIG click OK) and deselect (uncheck) the /L:ENG entry from
the STARTUP tab, click Apply, click OK and restart your computer.
If none of the previous suggestions solve the problem go to the link below and download & run the ''System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot'' vbs Fix. It's Number 260 in the right side column. It has worked for others. Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double
click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

''NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a ''malicious'' script, this is normal if you have ''Script Safe'' or similar technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry''.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
System32 folder at startup
by bronx10473 / May 27, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

Hi
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Abit IS7 motherboard to the Dell suggestion won't work. I also ran that visual basic program from a suggestion from another post. It returned that it could not fix my problem. Also, the suggestions at the Microsoft site don't apply.

Collapse -
Re: System32 folder at startup
by Tufenuf / May 27, 2006 9:38 AM PDT

philanander, Go into your "Control Panel" and open "Folder Options", under the "View" tab make sure that "Restore previous folder windows at logon" is unchecked, clcik Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Problem solved with system restore
by bronx10473 / May 30, 2006 1:40 PM PDT

I solved the problem by restoring my system with a system backup I made a week earlier, before the malware incident and the system32 folder symptom. To test tufenuf's theory, I resotored the system state that had the problem. It still opened the system32 folder on bootup. I checked the box he indicated but it did not make the problem go away. I restored the system state without the problem. Thank you for your suggestions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.