Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System takes very long to shut down.

by dawillie / April 20, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

Posting on behalf of a friend who has XP-PRO-SP-2 on a 4 way partitioned 120GB H/D,1GB RAM, Athlon 3300XP processor, brand new i.e less that 2 months.

His primary work involves the use of Photoshop, Illustrate and Adobe Go-Live.

Problem as follows:

1. If he boots, checks e-mail and powers off, the shutdown is approximately 30 sec.

2. If he boots and uses the programs above for 3 hours and then shuts down it takes between 4-5 min.

3. If during the shutdown he hits the reset button to re-start and then shut down it's back to 30 sec.

I have read somewhere about XP writing to the cache at shut down and think that because of the size of the photo files, this maybe slowing the process down.

I know also that I encountered a similar problem with my XP and went 'somewhere' and did 'something' to resolve.

However cannot remember where it is I went or what I did.

Some help/ advice appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System takes very long to shut down.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System takes very long to shut down.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I missed the last time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2005 3:40 AM PDT

Someone didn't tell they had installed privacy software and it had enabled the CLEAR PAGEFILE on shutdown feature. Your post sounds too familiar but I always miss this one since its not a stock setting.

Collapse -
believe I have posted before
by dawillie / April 20, 2005 7:31 AM PDT

and your comment was to do with increasing the wattage.

It was over a month ago and I thought it would be easier if I posted fresh instead of ressurecting the old thread.

that said how can we fix this short of increasing the wattage and if that is the only option please tell me exactly what needs to be done as there is still a warranty.

sorry I am not up on the electric workings.

BTW new everything including MOBO.

thank you.

david williams

Collapse -
Link to that please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2005 7:51 AM PDT

I'm under the impression you are working from a fresh slate here. Your post smells like the clear pagefile issue. It's not set in a default install. I think you can control that one with TWEAKUI.

Collapse -
walk me thro it plz.
by dawillie / April 20, 2005 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Link to that please.

thank you.

david williams

Collapse -
Try this CNET link
by anotherbill / April 24, 2005 3:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Stop clearing registry swap file
by Rich G. / April 24, 2005 3:57 AM PDT

If the swap or paging file is being overwritten you may be able to keep this from happening by
- locating the key
\Session Manager\Memory Management, then change the value of ClearPageFile at Shutdown to a 0. A value of 1 will overwrite the file, which i would actually recommend for security. Also, you must also restart your computer.

Collapse -
thank you both.
by dawillie / April 24, 2005 2:12 PM PDT

passed to my friend.will post results.

Collapse -
long time to shutdown
by dreddel10 / May 7, 2005 4:14 AM PDT

You might also try going to the microsoft website knowledge base and search for UPHClean this resolves some issues in win 2000 and xp slow shutdowns

Collapse -
Similar problem with very slow XP shutdown
by sfspunkyguy / May 27, 2005 4:07 AM PDT

My problem is almost identical to the orignal poster on this thread:

I've had XP up and running for 2 years with no problems; now in the past few weeks, I'm suddenly dealing with very slow (5 minutes+) XP shutdown. ClearPageFileAtShutdown is set at zero, I've run UPHClean, have tried all the suggestions at ... nothing helps.

If I only use the computer for a few minutes to check email and browse a few websites (using either Explorer or Firefox), it'll shut down quickly. But if I use it for awhile (it doesn't matter which programs I open or how little or much I do), shutdown is very slow. Any more ideas besides the ones listed here? I'm taking to shutting things down using the power button, and I know that's not a good solution.

And -- would there be any benefit to reinstalling XP? I'd rather not of course, but...

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem. Let's compare notes.
by Bubba_Gump / June 5, 2005 1:36 PM PDT

My computer only recently started taking unnecessarilly long to shutdown... around 2-3 minutes or so. Not unbearably long, just annoying.

MS Knowledge base says this problem was fixed in the latest Service Pack, but I already have SP2 installed, so it must be something else.

I noticed during shutdown, my disk-busy light is very busy. But I have multiple drives in my system so I can't tell if the writing is to ''C:'' or someplace else.

I have anti-virus software, but it was there long before the problem began, so I'm ruling that out. I did upgrade just about everything recently, but well before this problem showed up. I have been dealing with issues regarding my video card (Radeon 9800) that might be involved here, though I can't imagine how.

I've checked my drives for impending hardware failure, and all check out fine. My ram, Motherboard and cpu are all brand new. I probably have too many items running in my tray right now, so my first step will be disabling them to see if it makes any difference.

Collapse -
by Recycle_Bin / June 5, 2005 4:34 PM PDT

Running defrag on a regular basis will not only speed up your computer but also the startup and shutdown process.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 5, 2005 10:23 PM PDT

The article [Q837115] describes the symptom of slow logging off a computer with user profiles (which can occur if Windows or third-party programs such as printer drivers or virus scanners do not stop and release resources when logged off), that you may find certain recorded event messages in the event log, and suggests that users experiencing this problem download and install the "User Profile Hive Cleanup Service" module:

? A roaming profile does not reconcile.

? You reach the registry size limit (RSL).

? You take a long time to log off, and you receive the following message:

Saving settings . . .

Collapse -
I'll never know...
by sfspunkyguy / June 6, 2005 12:20 AM PDT

In the process of exploring various possibilities, I updated the driver to my mouse which somehow created some sort of conflict... long story short, I had to reinstall XP. It shuts down fine now!

I've had this computer for 2-1/2 years, maybe it was just time to reinstall the operating system...

Collapse -
Reinstall XP ... is there an easy way?
by gthoenen / June 6, 2005 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll never know...

OK, but if I reinstall XP just how much effort and time will that take? Do I reformat the HD? Back up all my data files? Dig out all my installation disks and downloaded setup files and reinstall all my programs, one by one? Reset all my options and settings?

-- Gary

Collapse -
it takes 5 to 8 minutes to shutdown my computer
by baneshwor / December 16, 2005 12:56 PM PST

I'm using a new cisnet computer with specifications
2.1 ghz processor,256 ram ,80 Gb harddisk, since one and half months . but I have problem in shutting down, as it take around 10 minutes to shutdown, so I'm too boored before i go to bed waiting for my pc to get shutdown.
I have only on drive c:, i mean no partition.
Is this a cause if so, is there any mechanism to create partions of 80 gb harddisk , to 2,3 parts without using any partition softwares or is there any freely availble sws.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.