PC Hardware forum

Question

System Stability + Performance

by somumuso / January 24, 2013 2:35 AM PST

Hello guys,
I need your advice on an issue that i'm completely a novice to,
"the Hardware drag race"

if i were to run two heavy softwares/application simultaneously, lets suppose i need to, in that case if it came to performance and stability would an Intel based processor fair better or an AMD? basically threads vs actual cores. I know nothing does beat an actual core but in terms of the products out there right now, does the i7 fair better than AMD bulldozer when it comes to Multi-tasking with performance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Stability + Performance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Stability + Performance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Never found this to matter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 2:41 AM PST

A PC that is good would be stable regardless of the CPU choice. As to which performs better that's why we run benchmarks.

If you find a PC that fails under load, that rarely is a CPU issue. It's back to its maker for repair or refund.
Bob

Collapse -
it matters if you're squeezing out performance
by somumuso / January 24, 2013 3:10 AM PST

you could use the same processor for a multitude of tasks, but when it comes to getting two heavy softwares running together, i.e. handling multi-tasking efficiently and fast, i would like to know what the Hardware gurus think.

for example drag race and circuit race is different, what if you needed to buy a car that is suited for both, the sweet spot.
Not every things about just sheer performance, I'm curious as to wether AMD's processors fair better or Intel's when it comes to handling two system heavy tasks given they have similar motherboards, RAM, HD, Powersupply.

Collapse -
And you've explained why folk perform benchmarks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 8:05 AM PST

The AMD vs. Intel discussion is done. I won't duplicate a prior discussion but you have the basic question down pat. The problem with the usual AMD vs. Intel discussion is that it's usually attracts fanbois or folk forget the real way to tell.
Bob

Collapse -
guess you didn't get it completely
by somumuso / January 29, 2013 1:41 AM PST

i'm not a fan boy or wish to start a AMD vs intel discussions, I'm trying to compile a system which can handle two major operations side by side without any problem in processing with speed and stability. it will most definitely require a construction of a custom board to handle the process, so i was wondering in terms of processors, if it came to a neck and neck competition which existing processors would best handle such load.

from the looks of what has been advised there isn't much difference from a consumer perspective...

i'm still looking more into the hardware details so i can better read the benchmark, beyond the obvious informations they put out, like hey,"this has this much speed" " this is faster than this processors"...

well i was looking for the small *** bit of nooks and crannies.

but thanks, i understand why you've said what you said. Happy

Collapse -
Then for far out work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2013 1:45 PM PST

Why not a far out machine. Something along the lines of dual CPU Xeon machines?

Over at tomshardware.com are CPU CHARTS that might let you pick a system but given the problem that such is nothing more than a horserace and we can pile more CPUs into a box to give some app an edge, why not try the usual CPU CHARTS?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Workstation?
by Willy / January 25, 2013 1:33 AM PST

In effect, you want your cake and eat it too. It boils down to the specs a PC is made of. If you look at servers that get alot of use you'll find they're more results based rather than performance as they handle continuous tasks. Further, they get a slightly different cpu geared for that. The point being after a while under demands any PC will suffer, thus you build a "whole PC" best suited for the tasks at hand. That may not always refer to speed, but stability or similar needs. If you get into any budget restraints, then wait until funds are at hand.

IMHO, if you plan to do constant heavy tasks and even multiple ones on a same PC, you might find it better to split the load and use 2 PCs instead. Otherwise, you'll need the top shelf devices/items/components to get the job done from one.

I too won't get into AMD vs Intel cpus as both provide similar results from similar cpus. As for s/w compatibility that should be a non-issue.

I suggest you look at "workstation type PCs", they may provide a clue to the build you may need. Again, you need to build the whole PC that best suits your needs. So, have some top-end competent married to a less than capable one or just entry level could be telling.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.